Week # 3 Montreal

Good points to consider:

  • Montreal is not Winnipeg or Toronto.
  • Shiltz is most likely starting and he seems to see the field well and he can scramble. He is closer to being a 1B than a true backup.
  • Sindani is back in the lineup and I think he was our best receiver at camp.

It looks like a 60% chance of rain at game time, so that could favour Montreal and William Stanback , but who knows, as Butler seems to be getting a lot of touches per game.
Our D-line has to play better as Cody can be easily taken off his game.
I predict a win, and that will cue up the QB controversy version 2023.

5 Likes

Fair and good post. I’ll add a few more points in defense of my Als:

  • Hamilton only has one game of film on Montreal, while Montreal has two games of film on Hamilton.
  • Hamilton has a short week of practice, while Montreal is well-rested from the bye.
  • We smacked Shiltz around pretty handily in the ESF last year. Tyrice Beverette says hello. :wink:
  • I don’t expect our O-line to surrender 6 sacks to HAM like they did to OTT in week 1.
  • Our defense is very quick in pursuit.
  • With Coté at placekicker and extremely solid coverage on kick returns, I think we have an edge on special teams.

Having said all that, I actually picked HAM to win in the pool this week. :slight_smile: I think the game will come down to a few plays in the fourth quarter and be decided by a touchdown or less, whichever team wins.

2 Likes

The weather forecast is getting gradually better. Last night there was an 80% chance of rain for the game, this morning 60% chance of rain, right now 40% chance of rain.

3 Likes

Per 3 Down and Stein, Mitchell will dress in a backup role

2 Likes

So he’s too banged up to start, but not so banged up that he can’t play? Yikes.

2 Likes

As much as he has stunk this year so far, this is actually good news. He is obviously not super injured ( ie: broken bone or ACL), and he can be there to help on the sidelines and he can actually watch Shiltz release the ball quick to open receivers and throw TD passes.

8 Likes

Great points. I just think the optics of this are kind of ugh.

3 Likes

It’s a way to bench him without really benching him. I think it’s great. Maybe the best situation for us right now.

1 Like

I think you’re suggesting Bo stays hurt only for as long as Shiltz plays well.

2 Likes

Schiltz turning into genuinely effective starting QB and keeping Mitchell and his salary on the bench is absolute fantasy.

5 Likes

That was indeed a pretty emphatic end to our season.

2 Likes

I think BLM will have some good games this year. I think he is forcing the ball and not seeing the field . I also think part of him has already counted those 2 Grey Cup rings he was going to get for us , just like Ricky Ray did for Toronto. I bet there is no real damage to his lower body , he is just REALLY sore. Either way he needs to sit. This “it takes time to gel in a new offense” stuff is garbage. Those pics he has thrown , have NOTHING to do with gelling. A good high school QB wouldn’t have thrown those balls.
Also, the fact that we have a Bi-week coming up means that we are one step closer to being a healthier team in every area. I truly believe we just need to be 3-3 after 6 games. Some of this stuff will sort itself out once we get Wynn back and hopefully Woods back and STE back and some O-line depth back.

2 Likes

Did anyone associated with the team ever say “gel” or is that more of a chatboard/Facebook thing?

I heard it from Dave Naylor on TSN yesterday.

1 Like

I disagree, because it is very clear what’s happening – that he’s being benched without being benched, as you say. But I do agree that given BLM’s performance so far, it’s actually a benefit for you to have Shiltz starting this week’s game.

1 Like

Very clear?

So when he grabbed his leg in the fourth quarter, did that happen to be where his wounded ego is located?

You’d think it would have hurt more after an INT than a first down completion.

2 Likes

Hey, as always, JMO. I don’t think the groin injury was fake. I just think if it were actually anything serious, they’d sit him to be safe. And if it’s not serious, then start him. Why dress an injured player even in backup role?

2 Likes

To not have to pay 4 QBs. So dress him with no intent to play.

3 Likes

I do thinks he’s hurt and with 4 days between games it would be silly to play him. I’m not 100% sure the logic of dressing him, unless Coach O is paranoid about injuries right now, in terms of loosing Shiltz to injury as well on Friday.
I think Shiltz gives us our best chance on a short week with a slightly injured and rattled BLM. Plus Bo needs a " do-over" of sorts for July 8th. Pretend the season is just starting on July 8th and reboot.

4 Likes

I think it’s a money thing. If he goes on the 1 game they have to pay him his enormous game cheque and dress a 3rd QB. So they’re gonna go into this game with 2 QBs and Bo as an emergency QB.