Week 2 - BC @ Mtl

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=456073

B.C. at Montreal

Both teams had disappointing losses to start the season, but of the two - Montreal was the greater disappointment. Every week there will be one or two players that desperately need to bounce back from a poor game and have a great one. This week it's Troy Smith at quarterback for Montreal. His accuracy wasn't there in Calgary and he has to improve quickly - not only for the Als to win but for Troy to keep his position as a starter and leader. Patience is never found in abundance in pro football - quite the opposite in fact. It was good to see Brandon Whitaker back at running back and he was effective, but he may have to be even more effective this week. This one should be close but I like B.C. on the road. They are not going to allow another fake field goal for a first down or an onside kick for a change of possession. Neither team will dominate so B.C. by three in an upset.

Lions are favored by 2.5 so it won't be an upset if they win.

Easy to point the finger at Smith and he was terrible but the Als defense sure was vulnerable to the 20 + yard pass last game. Lots to clean up on both teams.

They gave up five big plays. One in the first half 102 yard that really took the wind out of the defense and four plays in the second half. If the offense can't stake its share of the clock the defense won't hold for four quarters. Als need to establish a strong running game using the RB, QB and the odd play using FB, Slot or second back.

stamps also marched from their one to get the field goal as well before the 102 yarder.
I thought the D was porous overall.

Le compte était 15-1 au début du 4ième quart (et ç'aurait dû être 15-4...). C'est donc dire que la défensive a livré la marchandise. Mais comme l'attaque était incapable de demeurer sur le terrain, la défensive a fini par flancher. Si on excepte ce jeu de 102 verges, les Stampeders ont été tenus à moins de 300 verges d'attaque.

Avec une attaque le moindrement efficace, cette partie était à la portée de l'équipe, grâce à la défensive.

Je n'ai aucune idée de ce à quoi va ressembler cette partie. Je pencherais pour un autre massacre contre les Alouettes, compte tenu de ce qu'on a vu samedi, mais ça peut-être autre chose aussi.

I thought the defense played with winning effort, but there was the usual clean up for an opening game. My greatest concern coming out of the game was Billy Parker. He looked old and disinterested in run support. It is concerning for a veteran DB to get fooled as he did on the 102 yd TD. On most of the long gains, it seemed as though 17 was trailing. I am sad to think that his best football is in the past.
Lavarius is a concern as well, but only because he is a DE playing LB. I know Woods is out, but his is strictly a stop gap measure that will be exploited now that it is on video for BC to see.
We do not have any individual winners in pass rush, so we try to create pressure with 5 and 6 man rushes out of various alignments. I enjoy watching it, but I am also aware that if someone hits the wrong gap, or there is miscommunication, good night mes ami.
One other point on offense. I read the Bruno article, but consider this. Not all those plays are "read" plays. Some are designated "gives". We are talking about a QB that had a knee issue in camp, missed a pre season game,ect. It is very possible that the staff eliminated the read so that the risk factor with Smith's health was lessened. Hopefully we break it out this week!
Edmonton gave us the blueprint for pressuring Glenn, so let's get that done,Als!

I really like that game plan as well. They still have the Oline and a healthy Whitaker. So going at BC on the ground surely makes sense for a QB that is struggling so much. BChad two true rookies at one of the DE spots on the depth chart. Some double TE sets.
Sucks Sutton is on the 6 game using he and Whitaker together could be an option. How is Lumbala looking could he be part of a two back set?
Zalewski is a big boy. Had 3 ST tackles and saw him in at TE for short yardage to block.
London instead of Stafford gives them a much more experienced receiver.
I just hate seeing any team struggle like that especially when they could do some other things like running Whitaker more.

Bon papier sur London dans le 'Ournal ce matin.

Il trépigne d'impatience et n'a pas apprécié ne pas être sur le terrain. Il semble que Dinwiddie l'aurait mis sur le terrain mais que Higgins lui a préféré Stafford.

J'espère qu'on verra un London au meilleur de lui-même. Les Alouettes auraient besoin de ça.

So Higgins doesn't wear a headset, doesn't have any direct contact with the OC during the game, but is overruling his OC on the personnel he wants on the field? That's bollocks.

Ce n'était pas aussi clair que çda, je l'avoue, mais lorsqu'on lit ce que Dinwiddie a dit par rapport à ce que Higgins a dit, il semble que ce choix n'était pas celui de Dinwiddie.

L'article n'est pas en ligne sur le site du 'Ournal, alors je ne peux le citer textuellement, mais c'est vraiment l'impression que ça m'a laissé.

Et rien ne dit que c'est Higgins qui a tranché. N'oublions pas que nous avons un comité qui coordonne la pas d'attaque.

I know, I know, but Higgins has no involvement in the offence. How can he? He's ST coordinator during the game, and he doesn't wear a headset, so it's not like he can communicate with Dinwiddie (in the spotter's booth) in-game. Why be that hands off during the game but micro-managing before it? If you trust your OC to call the game, you also have to trust him enough to let him field the offence he wants to field. All or nothing.

Wow. Higgins either challenged London or just plain made a poor judgement. I am sure most would choose the ladder. Makes you wonder how much disagreement between the HC and the OC may have affect the game plan.

To early to really see how deep is interference is but if the players turn against Higgins and side with Dinwidie than it could be that Dinwiddie has that young gun approach like Thorpe.
Maybe letting the old man go may cost the once again in the wallet but a double duty Thorpe who has the players respect runs the D and a surprising Dinwiddie the O and have the young ST coach from Sherby run Teams and the former Sherby HC helps Thorpe with the adminitrative side of the HC job

Je pense que c'est très tôt pour considérer ça. Premièrement, cette interférence demeure mon interprétation, rien de plus.

Deuxièmement, s'il faut donner davantage de responsabilités à Dinwiddie, il faut d'abord que Dinwiddie gagne ses galons. Jusqu'à maintenant, il n'a pas préparé son unité pour faire face à la musique.

Ce qui compte dans l'immédiat, c'est la progression de l'équipe et on veut en voir beaucoup dans la prochaine partie.

I agree too early and will not happen unless there is a total disconnect with Higgins and the players like with Hawkins. But you cant be the only one who is reading between the lines

Non, effectivement. Je voulais seulement être clair sur le fait que j'ai spéculé sur des propos rapportés par Mathieu Boulay et non rapporté une affirmation confirmée par l'un ou l'autre des membres des Alouettes.

On ne devrait pas spéculer,surtout lorsque les écrits sont clairs. Oui,les Alouettes ont perdu, mais on ne devrait pas commencer à tout mettre en doute,même la responsabilité de l'entraîneur-chef de prendre des décisions.

Les propos de Ryan Dinwiddie,selon ce que Mathieu Boulay a écrit dans le Journal de Montréal d'aujourd'hui: "Brandon a connu un bon camp et c'est un joueur sur lequel on compte, a t-il souligné. Il méritera d'avoir une chance à un moment ou à un autre. C'est normal qu'il soit déçu. Parfois,ça peut paraître injuste. Malgré tout,il a été professionnel quand on lui a annoncé nord décision."

Brandon aura sa chance de jouer vendredi, étant donné que Duron Carter ne jouera pas.-blessure cheville-

Richard

NO way. GM is out the door at the end of the season. Not the time to fire more people.

I like Brandon but he had a PISSPOOR season last year, he was lucky not to be cut outright, he had a good camp but so did Stafford, now he has to wait his turn. As for Dinwiddie, he'd better learn real quick that he's a coach not a player anymore, throwing his HC under the bus is not smart.

Richard, nous écrivons tous beaucoup de spéculations ici. Quel serait l'intérêt de n'échanger que des faits sans en discuter? Une discussion suppose sa part d'opinion, de là, une dose de spéculation. Ça me semble incontournable.

J'ai fait cette interprétation en opposant la réponse de Higgins (que tu n'as pas reproduite) à celle de Dinwiddie. Il semblait y avoir un décalage entre les deux et je l'ai soulevé. Il n'y a rien de malin là-dedans.

Cela dit, je ne pousserais pas cette interprétation à affirmer formellement que Dinwidie a envoyé Higgins "under the bus". Je trouve que ce serait là pousser le bouchon pas mal loin.

Si Stafford a connu un bon camp et qu'il a mérité son départ, tant mieux. Mais London a aussi connu un bon camp, et Stafford a connu une mauvaise partie.

Il est malheureux qu'une blessure à la cheville à Carter (il a des problèmes avec sa cheville depuis le premier jour du camp d'entraînement) fasse de la place à London, mais ce qui a de bien dans cette situation, c'est qu'à la fois London et Stafford pourront se comparer dans la même partie, en autant que Smith distribue le ballon équitablement. J'ai parfois l'impression que Stafford ne regarde que Johnson, Carter et Stafford et que lorsqu'il regarde ses autres receveurs, c'est un peu par accident­.

Vercheval a dit que ce qui comptait, c'est la progression. C'est ce que je vais regarder vendredi.