Week 13 Vs Ottawa

Well Ottawa took a lot of dumb penalties, and Burris had a brain fart on the QB sneak and extended his arm for an easy turn over… I agree with you that it’s easy to sit back after the game and assess which handful of plays determined the game as a win or loss. But in reality tonight, the Riders should have lost by more than 4 points…

WOW....
horrid horrid tackling...the D regressed in that aspect
not a single time do I recall the Riders rolling the safety out to press the flat where they were getting chewed up...Quick just lost his job
2 consecutive turnovers in the 4th, 1 point....what were they at, the 30 and moved the ball backwards
When the Riders let the ball bounce on the 9 and gave the ORBS their 11th point I felt it was a bad decision...it was
Demski....what a brain fart on the out of endzone into enzone...he knew it...felt bad for him...but WOW
Mertile...WFT was that timeout for! Any chance of a coming back was pissed away with that....let them walk in and you still have 35 seconds to at least attempt to score.
Why the hail marry on the last play...so close to busting returns...take the kick with 6 seconds left
Knox is a little slow...AND...I had never noticed before but he has a horrid tell...like I 100% guarantee Henry picked up on it all night. Rare to see something so obvious in football

Kudos to the ORBS for not giving up the short stuff, and their O never had to change...just took the the flats all night...they were free on every play...never contested...

Reffing...when a QB moves outside of the pocket and puts it on the ground it is now considered a run play with option...illegal contact was complete BS

The big play with 1 minute left...am I wrong or was that a clear procedure. TV viewers would know better. There was a ref right there.

Refs miss stuff...I get it...but what I find unacceptable is when a quarter of the stadium is yelling "TIME COUNT" before the ball is snapped and for about 2 seconds...unacceptable

Time to move on from the kicker who flies in for 1 practice before a game then heads out west again

Glenn had some rust, and could have been picked a couple times....but it was a nice return. I want to see Price...time to attempt bending over Austin

The team played very well in the first half. The D was dominant in the 1st quarter. the ORBS D stepped up huge late in the second and on…entirely stuffing the edges and most runs.

I don't think the tackling was horrid. They were just outfilmed - AGAIN.

Ottawa made only one adjustment offensively in the 2nd quarter. His name was Mertile.

Nic Demski is officially the DUMBEST player in the league. Canadian born, CIS trained and doesn't even know the damned rules. Jesus Christ on a rubber crutch what a numb nuts.

Tristan Jackson is the returner. Stop horsing around trying other dudes. Just use Jackson, he's awesome.

Bottom line, this team still can't close. Milo honks the convert and gives them a chance. Jackson returns the ball back to the red zone. Offense goes 2-and-out. Settle for FG, blown chance #1. Defense gives up big play, then wastes the timeout then gives up chip shot FG, blown chance #2. They're right back to where they were in July. They had a chance on offense to win, blew it, they had a chance on defense to make a stop blew it.

And the result … Chris Williams 8 catches for 137 yards. Burris 477 yards, 2nd biggest yardage total in his HoF career. This is not so much an indictment of Mertile, he’s just a young player, this is an indictment of O’Day.

So what is happening on the punt teams lately that we are either taking time count penalties or last night we burn a time out because? We had enough players on the field so that wasn't it. In the previous game Allen was bouncing around like he was on a pogo stick and flapping his arms like he was trying to fly. Has there been a change on the punt team coverage squad that whoever is in now is so dumb he doesn't know his assignments?

At this time of the season there really shouldn't be an excuse for not having your punt team organized enough to know who is on and what blocking responsibilities are, yet we for some reason we look disorganized lately punting the ball.

That time out for whatever reason on the punt team really burned Dyce and you could tell he was not happy about it. If it was indeed Mertile that burned that last time out then bench or turf him. It made absolutely ZERO sense to call it just after Hank had used theirs to allow the clock to run down as far as possible. It would have been far better to have used it after the first down play, although still not a good time to use it, at least it would have preserved a bit more time while them calling it after the second down play and Henry had all ready stopped the clock then using it was beyond stupid.

It was Brackenridge. He does it clearly on the replay. cfl.ca highlight package at 7:32, TBrack is in lower right corner of the screen, he calls timeout. It breaks my heart to see him have such a sh*tty season.

"Time to move on from the kicker who flies in for 1 practice before a game then heads out west again" This kind of flew under the radar but I did pick up on it in your post. Is this becoming an issue in the locker room?

I assume your referring to Paul? If that is the case are they getting early any looks at field goal kicking? I know they used him in that game against the Stamps from practically their own goal line trying a stupidly long one but has been getting time in at practice trying field goals?

Realistically I don't see Paul being back next year as I think he will retire. So they actually need to be looking at that being a good possibility and getting Early some game time trying field goals.

No comment?

Early gets some placement kicks in practice yes

Need guys in town all week....period

To me the biggest concern in the game beyond the lack of ever covering the flats and stopping exposing the orbs deep was the tell by Knox...that needs beat out of him if he is to stay on the field...not that he is the answer at MLB anyways

Mertile's body language told Henry it was zone all night. Mertile's body language told him he wasn't too sure what he was supposed to do???

Mertile................just needs a plane ticket.

Our D was 80% or more zone all night? One little switch with Maze out............Marshay at half............Mertile at corner and we could not figure out the screen and flats.

And how many screens did we run and ended up minus 3-4 yards.

Back to Mertile.............plane ticket please.

We have two DB's on PR.............lets see how our scouting department is. Mertile was really bad. I was there in person on 40 yard line and I hated watching him. He reminds me of Macho.............close to the play but never making a play (and Macho made one nice tackle on a flat pattern. I give flowers out when they are deserved.........but Macho also missed two tackles.

Mertile missed Chris Williams on the TD in the north endzone.........that allowed Orbs to gain momentum and it never came back to the riders after that.

Mertile............plane ticket.

I still think Mertile has some level of potential. That said, I think they should have kept Mario Norman over him. Any ways you spin it...unlikely back next season. We shall see if Maze stays on the 6...that would help and they need to see him more to decide if he is coming back or not. We only saw him in CC's D, and he did not look great...but has in the past....so he needs reps

Mertile is just young and warrants a look.

What I don't get is starting Glenn means you want to win now, sacrificing development of young QBs. But cutting LeGree to start Mertile means developing a young player while sacrificing winning now.

Pick a direction and go with it FFS.

Yeah I agree. Either go with proven vets if you want to win now or go with newbies if your developing for the future. import ratios or injuries can be an issue though and sometimes its not cut and dry to who you play or have to use. Still cutting Legree had me shaking my head.

Not just players playing for jobs. Also need to showcase he is healthy for potential trades. Management made a clear statement to the media the other day…so long as there is any mathematical possibility They are all in.

Four games out with 6 to go. If there ever was a time to cut bait. Right now ‘all in’ is f**kin’ dumb.

I disagree. If you as a coach send a message that it is tryout time and you have given up on playoffs…no matter how unlikely…you should not be a coach.

When they lost the Banjo Bowl post season was pretty much out the window…unbelievably, had they won that and the last game they were very mucgh alive. Even this last game…it would have put them 3 games back. and playing BC again…and BC is down to who knows at QB. would they have needed a few stars to align…sure…but actually not horrid odds had they won that game

They also needed to see where this team was at with a vet in there. There were a lot of questions answered as well. When peoples jobs are on the line at this point it is only fair to give them the best chance to impress at least once since CC was turfed.

• They have some solid WRs…no need to do a bunch of shopping there
  • The OL looked a lot better because of the vet…but still needs a big boost
  • The OC could not get around the pressure with the vet in the 2nd half, even though he did pretty well in the first…pretty important

Most importantly…again…they needed to show that Glenn was healthy…this could turn out to be very important should a trade take place.

They have a whole third of a season left to look at other players…IMO it was the smart move in the big picture.

Not Dyce, O’Day. Like you said in of of these threads. They need to have a meeting where Dyce doesn’t have to make this decision. Of course Dyce coaches to win every week, but it is O’Day who sets the plan. O’Day needs to tell Dyce in that meeting, ‘We are going with youth and development. I will make the moves, you just coach.’ Then Dyce coaches to win with the guys O’Day gives him. In no way would I ever expect Dyce to take it upon himself to coach for next year.

Disagree. They lost the x-over at 0-9. They could have caught Winnipeg at 0-9, and heck they still might, but catching Winnipeg only gets 8th place. When they lost in Ottawa they lost the x-over. The season was done right then.

This is the ONLY thing I agree with. And dammit if Glenn is not gone for at least 2nd or 3rd rounder by the deadline O’Day needs to be hung in public.

And finally, either direction that anyone wants to go, either win now or develop youth, LeGree fit EITHER of those paths.

Correct…Dyce and O’day are going to field the product they feel gives them the best chance to win until they are officially out or that conversion happens…it is a rock and a hard place…they know they should be doing that but they are also trying to win fultime gigs…to do that they need to win. Glenn, for example, provides the best chance of that, QB wise, here and now. Crappy spot for them to be in…no win situation for them likely

if they can catch the Bombers they can catch the Lions…at least they play the Lions 1 more time
8 wins is probably a lock on a playoff spot…7 is a good chance this season. Problem is they can’t tie anyone in the West and take it. The crossover…the crossover was less likely to happen than taking a spot in the West and has been the case essentially all season. They have been more behind the x-over the whole way than a West spot…and further…right now the East holds the West’s 3rd place spot and it is not the ORBs…so losing to them didn’t actually effect that.

IMO the Banjo Bowl ended the season…a win equaled 1 game behind the Bombers and owning the series…1 games behind the Lions (2 because of season series) who are now with a 3rd string QB is not unreasonable…and with playing them 1 more time only had to win that and better their record by 1 win over 9 games. Had they then beaten the ORBs the situation becomes a whole lot better still. the other threat to their playoffs was crossover…but they still have to play the Als 2 times, thus holding that portion of their destiny in their own hands