Wear your Ticats Jerseys at the Rally...

Hey folks--- Hoping we can make tomorrow's Hamilton rally more than simply a show of support for NHL hockey in Hamilton...but also have a strong show of support for our beloved Tiger-Cats.

(As well, it doesn't hurt to insult to blue team while we're at it!!)

Anyway, with the Cats season so close to kicking off, it'd be awesome to see piles of black and gold downtown tomorrow! I think it'd be a nice gesture to the players and Bob that we're pumped for the season.

Should be fun!

Great idea if anybody shows up... I'd bring an umbrella too... Eat "em' RAW !!!

They will get some people out.

The problem is that the people who show up, won't be the ones showing up at Copps to see the team play. Most true blue hockey fans won't be able to afford the tix to the Hamilton NHLers.

I still say that we aren't going to get a team and kinda think the rally is dumb with the ruling that came down earlier this week.

The Ticat fans should actually protest. The government didn't turn say no to Balsille asking for money to fix up Copps. If the Gov can pony up for Copps, why can't they pony up for a new football stadium.

Tigerdirt
The government has already committed to help fund a new stadium should Toronto get the Pan Am games. I have no idea why you are so emotionally upset with the thought of Hamilton getting an NHL team but I'd suggest you try to learn to live with it. The process is hardly finished, Blackberry Jim can submit a bid and the rally is important to show continued support for the bid in spite of all of the roadblocks that have been thrown up. A team will come to Southern Ontario soon, its only a matter of how and where at this point. 5 months ago there was no hope whatsoever. Tremendous progress has been made to convince not only the cement heads of the NHL but our own community that not only is Hamilton a viable NHL market it is ravenous market that will not accept any secret deals between Toronto and Bettmann. This ralley is important to keep the pressure on the NHL and the Arizona bankrupcy court to accept the fact that Hamilton is the only viable solution and that everyone will make money, even the Leafs and Sabres if the deal goes thru

Even if you don't like hockey, it's hard to argue that this would be a boon to the city. So, I say let's let them know that, IF a team is going to come to Southern Ontario, it should be here...not Vaughan or some urban-sprawl highway exchange.

Weather forecast has changed. Supposed to be nice during the morning-- scattered showers later in the afternoon. Best you can ask for, really.

Well I don't like hockey!! and I can't see how it will be a "boon" to the city. The team will lose money like most other NHL teams. But if Basillie is willing to absorb the losses and taxpayers outside of Hamilton don't have to pay for it and it makes people happy then good luck to you and have fun at the rally.

Obviously you hate the Cats too. After all they cost a lot more than an NHL team might considering how little out of town money they bring in compared to the certainty that the NHL will attract buisness from Guelph Kitchner/Waterloo Cambridge that the Cats don't. And as an aside you also oppose a new stadium and/or renovations that involve Ontario taxpayer contributions, right?

how do you figure the team will lose money?

I won't be at the rally. This NHL pipe dream of ours has pretty much guaranteed that the ONLY hockey we will ever have in Hamilton will be gone. The Bulldogs' owner is looking at moving the team and who could blame him. We're going to be hockeyless because we are NOT going to get an NHL team.

Good luck to those who attend and support this dream.

That is my only fear We end up with nothing. I don't think that the NHL has a lot to do with that tho. The Dogs have had issues with Copps for years and like every other renewal negotiation the team need to exert whatever pressure they can to get a better lease. As an original STH and one who travels across the continent to watch the Dogs I can say in all honesty I will miss them if they are forced to leave but the prospect of an NHL franchise and all of the benefits it brings is even attractive to M Andlauer and he expressed his support for a local NHL club publicly on the Bulldogs website. It is possible to be a devout Bulldog fan but still be excited at the thought that we might have our very own NHL team. This is really the only time in my 53 years I thought the possibility existed.

For anyone who doesnt understand what it means for Hamilton to get an NHL team I will tell you! HAVING A TEAM PUTS YOU ON THE NATIONAL MAP. IT PUTS YOUR CITYS NAME ON ALL HOCKEY VIDEO GAMES OUT THERE ON P3 AND XBOX 360, IT BRINGS CITIES AND PLAYERS ALL ALIKE TOGETHER ON A REGULAR BASIS,THE MONEY AND JOBS AND THE WANT TO WORK TO BE ABLE TO BE IN THAT CLASS WILL CHANGE THIS CITY FOR THE BETTER AND WILL GROW THIS CITY TO HIGHER HIGHTS THAT YOU CAN IMAGINE! THE SAD THING IS HAMILTON IS BEING DENIED A TEAM NOT BECAUSE WE CANT AFFORD ONE OR WE WILL BE UNSTABLE, HELL NO! BALSILLE WILL SHOW YOU THAT BUT ONLY BECAUSE THE NHL ANSWERS TO AN ORGANIZATION IN TORONTO WHO SAY THEY HAVE RIGHT TO TELL HAMILTON THEY CANT GROW AND BE PROSPEROUS! ITS OUTRAGOUS , IGNORANT, RACIST, AND DONT RIGHT WRONG! I LIVE FOR HAMILTON BUT EVEN MY FAMILY IN GEORGETOWN ARE EVEN SEEING THE IGNORANCE OF THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS THREATS, AND THE NHL BENDING OVER FOR THEM! LETS GET REAL AND ALL COME AND SUPPORT WHAT THIS CITY IS! A GREAT CITY!

Nope I will wear my Bulldogs Jersey :cowboy:

We aren't getting an NHL team. If we did, who would be able to afford going to games? It would be Toronto lite. 95% corporate and 5% real fans sitting in the nosebleeds but who are actually there to see their favourite team that is visiting.

If you want affordable tix, just look at Buffalo, they are barely scrapping even but then what happens if the dollar plunges.

It's not like you are adding 41 homes games a year. The Bulldogs play 41 homes games a year, yes there will be 15,000 more people at the games but how many of those are going to go downtown to eat and go to the games. It's not like Toronto where there are tons of restaurants. There will be an increase in sales but I don't see all of this econimic impact. All I see is the rich sponsors getting even more richer.

Who cares if we are in a video game. Where do most of the NHL games sell? In Canada.

As for my comment about the stadium before, yes, the government is going to give us SOME money for a stadium but if we want to upgrade, the city has to find the extra 50 mil to kick in. With JB, it sounded like they would flip the whole bill. I just don't like it. Copps is just over 20 years old and we wasted our money buying that. It's still a half descent facility. IWS is 80 years old and is falling apart.

Yes, hockey will bring in more money for the city but we need a new football stadium.

This rally is pointless. It is not a starting point for JB anymore. It's nearing the end. The judge has rule in the NHLs favour.

JB needs to take his money, build a state of the art arena in Waterloo at RIM park and pay to get into the NHL with an expansion team. JB is going through the back door.

I like hockey. I really do. I don't really want hockey in Hamilton. There is something about JB that I don't care for.

The thing that really cheezes me off is all of the attention he is getting with this bid. Spectator and CHCH are beating each other up trying to provide more coverage than the other. I wish the Cats got this much attention.

#1 I support the Bulldogs since day one having season tickets but only 3000 others do with me! Why? Because they want the NHL not the AHL! The toronto star wrote a day ago that Hamilton is not worthy of a NHL team! They are so wrong! Any person who doesnt want this city to grow can stay home and put thier heads under ground but I will be there standing beside Hamiltons efforts to build this city a great city!

Okay...I'll bite.
Don't get me wrong here, as I am a casual Bulldogs supporter. I'd say I take in 3-5 games a year...give or take.

But, this really, REALLY shows who has the ability to generate good PR...which, when you really break it down, is what sports franchises live and die by.

The Balsille/ NHL bid (pipedream or not...I always side on cautious optimism), has captured the imaginations of a lot of people. They've shown what this can mean to Hamilton's revitalization and shown the demand for hockey here.

The Bulldogs have decided to take (...in my opinion only) the low road here. The whiny kid on the playground who cries when he doesn't get picked first -- even though he's clearly not as good. The Dogs could have road this wave of hockey fever and got on board -- knowing that this is likely not going to happen. Yet, make many inroads into Hamilton sports fans hearts.

My big issue with the Bulldogs, and, inherently AHL hockey? I don't feel the connection between the team and my pride for Hamilton as much as I would for the NHL or OHL. They feel like Montreal's team to me. How could they mitigate this factor? Get onboard with a cause that's obviiously near and dear to Hamiltonians hearts.

Hell, even use it to sell season's tickets. Take the position of proving to the NHL we're viable by supporting the AHL....the best league outside of the NHL. It's called knowing your role -- the Bulldogs are a farm team to an NHL team. If they realized that, they would play that part in this event. Give kids merchandise, ticket draws, appearances by Bruiser, etc...

I will still continue to support the Dogs...but, I couldn't disagree more with how they've turned an opportunity in to stand-off-ish-ness that will only give people additional reasons to find them irrelevant. Sad, but true. I really hope the boost in civic pride the Balsillie crew has acheived will help the Bulldogs -- despite their efforts.

Sloedrive. May I cut and paste your post to the Bulldogs fan forum. As a STH and Booster Club member I've been voicing the concern that you so eliquantly present. Additionally I would like to ask you to copy this letter directly to Glen Stanford and Michael Andlauer. Your voice needs to be heard as I feel it is far too common to be ignored. As a STH I can speak of my fears but it really means nothing until it comes from folks like yourself

I respect your opinion, but would you seriously be able to get on board with the plan when it's clear that if that dream ever becomes a reality, you would not have a place to play?? An NHL team means the end of the Bulldogs playing at Copps. If I knew an eviction was possibly coming, I wouldn't sit on my hands waiting for it. I'd certainly be looking for a new home.

Getting on board and complaining that the city doesn't respect the Bulldogs are 2 different things. Yes I think I'd get on board and look for an alternative playing site simultaniously. I can understand why he appears to be looking at alternate sites. What I don't understand is how slamming the city will help sell tickets to a city hungry for the NHL

Ahh, here’s some good news. Scott Radley has decided to give the Dogs marketing staff a bit of helping hand. Thanks Scott!!

http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/585861

You are more than welcome...anything to help the Dogs cause, I'm all for it.
Edit: Ohh, and thanks AKT...will shoot this off to the above mentioned for sure. Go Cats! Go Dogs! Go Yotes!