weakest east division

This might be the worst east division in decades? Or strongest west division in years? Unlike previous seasons, smartest tactic may be for any western team to avoid western "group of death" and crossover to east playoffs.

Slow start in the East for sure :roll:

I dunno...
Argos get healthy and they are a solid team.
Hamilton is starting to show signs of life...they took the Esks to the edge, Calgary as well...this is about when they turned it on more last season to.
Ottawa...it is a brand new team...to be expected...but other than the Esks game they have been competitive...a little time for a new team to gel and who knows.
Montreal...Their D is great...their O is not. they have a respectable OL, so they may be able to fix things...but they sure havent figured it out yet. Smith showed a lot of promise last season...not this season though...I do think that is misuse of his abilities though

13-2 so far...15-2 if you count the pre-season

I think things will even out.

all I know right now is Ottawa is my most enjoyable team to watch and could have won every game
Toronto is decimated with injuries and breaking in virtually new coaching staff. that will change
Hamilton is on the road all the time. 3 QBs so far.
Montreal is dysfunctional and that probably won't change.

[quote="slant"]I think things will even out.

all I know right now is Ottawa is my most enjoyable team to watch and could have won every game
Toronto is decimated with injuries and breaking in virtually new coaching staff. that will change
Hamilton is on the road all the time. 3 QBs so far.
Montreal is dysfunctional and that probably won't change.

It's been 30 years :wink:

Ha ha ha...Kasps you are probably right give or take. popp traded on that for 20 of those years to grift into self proclaimed genius ctegory

Yeah..I doubt many nfl teams are looking at Popp now...Johnson is almost at 100 yards now...lmao

I disagree. The east can't compete against the west and the 4 teams are so equally bad they might split their 8 games against division opponents. I can see first in the east having a 7 or 8 win season.

Argos get healthy and they're a better quality of bad. You can't blame the utterly pathetic O performance on the lack of Owens and Drurie. Their special teams are nothing special and their D is the worst in the league.
Hamilton has the best upside, but until they show it they're just another bad team in the bunch. Just getting Collaros back does not fix what's wrong on defense.
Ottawa is cannon fodder until they can score TDs on a regular basis. FGs alone do not win you a lot of games.
Montreal's D is nowhere near so-so let alone great. They are 2nd only to the Argos for ineptitude inthe league and their O is non existent. When your O is held to 5 points by the worst D in the league that gives new meaning to the word humiliating.

I agree with slant, I think it will even out as the season progresses. Through 24 games, only three have featured two eastern teams going head-to-head, so the records will start to turn around in the second half of the season.

The worst season in history for the east was 2008, when the east won only 6 of 32 games (18.75%). However, the league played 40 divisional games then so the difference was hidden a bit. Now the league features 40 inter-divisional and 41 divisional games, so the disparity will be magnified if the east doesn't get their act together. The worst differential for 40 games was in the famous 1981 season when the 5-11 Ottawa Rough Riders finished second, the 3-13 Montreal Alouettes finished third and made the playoffs, and the east won 9 of 40 games with one tie (23.75%). The east currently has a 2-12 record though (14.29%); they have to get it together.

Things even out over time? East division may need more decades to become stronger than west division. Eastern teams may artificially appear better by beating weak opponents in east division. But matches between west and east better measure how strong teams really are.

I guess the real question is why. This is apparent for all leagues in North America. The NBA probably is the most glaring where the Craptors would not even made the playoffs last year but in the East they come out as division champs