We lost because...

As a “declared die-hard Tiger-Cats fan? I do declare the following:

(Ahem)

We lost last night because we made more mistakes than the Stampeders.

We lost last night because we played a 40-yard-deep prevent defence with under a minute to play.

We lost last night because our offence couldn’t account for ANY scoring.

We lost last night because Jamie Boreham has proven YET AGAIN that he no longer belongs to wear the uniform of the team that I love.

We lost last night because the ball-control offence, while great for time-of-possession, was totally inadequate in actually getting first downs and extending drives.

We lost last night because we made too many bone-headed penalties (Ralph offside again…).

We lost last night because we gave up too many yards to the Stampeders.

We lost last night because, once again, the officiating was atrocious.

Now, for the flip side:

Craig Yeast had a very good game receiving. He does show, however, that he is inferior when it comes to punt and kick returning. YOU DO NOT let the ball bounce in front of you on a punt. YOU DO run forward immediately after fielding the ball, and not dance around like a puppet on strings. Good job protecting the ball, though.

What can I say about Jason Goss? A 109-yard interception returned for a touchdown. Outstanding!

Tay Cody – this man was all over the field making plays, whether it be on pass coverage, or laying a thunderous hit on a RB. I am liking this guy more and more.

Bobby Brooks – I thought he played very well, a definite improvement over Auggie. He made some big hits, and, if we had any type of pass-rush or run stopping ability on our D-line, would have had much more of an impact. Oh, there is the fact that he made the heads-up play of returning a fumble for a TD.

Josh Ranek – The “little ball of hate? gave us an inkling of what his capabilities are. Excellent hands out of the backfield, and some very smooth running behind and through his blockers.

Julian Radlein – I’m VERY glad he was used more. Again, good hands out of the backfield, and good blocking (can’t make up for the O-line though).

Terry Vaughn also had a great game receiving and getting much needed YAC. A very under-rated trade by Mr. Katz, IMHO.

THE UGLY

Late hit on Maas – no flag. Pass interference in the 4th quarter – the zebra blew it, the Calgary player hauled down our DB and was awarded a defensive penalty for it. Absolutely disgusting. As an “owner? of this team, I demand that the powers-that-be take this up with the League officials and work with them to improve the officiating of these games.

D.J. Flick – I counted 3 ass attempts to him. One was over-thrown, one was picked off, and I can’t remember the third (maybe it was only two). He is a premier WR in this league, and it seems that he is being ignored by our offensive scheme (or “scam?).

Prevent defence – Coach Reed blew that one. Of course, if Boreham had actually shown that he has a pair and made that FG, or the late hit penalty actually being called, or our offence actually scoring some points, we wouldn’t have had to play so passively.

D-line – Where was our vaunted pass rush? Without James Cotton on the field, Cheatwood looks ordinary. We got absolutely NO surge up the middle by Belli and Peterson. Our front four were manhandled all game.

All-in-all, it was a very winnable game. There are some mistakes that have to be corrected, some coaching decisions that must be addressed, and a kicker that should be looking for a day job.

Let’s sort out this mess, and get ready for Montreal.

bump

re- sigpig- We lost last night because we played a 40-yard-deep prevent defence with under a minute to play. Same way we lost the 98 cup- Sutherns D- ?- But didnt the non call on Maas hook slide . or borhams missed field goal cost the game

Very nicely put here here

Ultimately, we lost the game because of the offences inability to put points up on the board. Had they scored just one touchdown, Boreham's late miss would not have mattered at all. I thought the defence played well, we had a running game, but for the most part, our offensive playcalling seems to be severly lacking both spark and creativity. If he has not done so already, I would like to see Jason Maas grab this offence by it's collective collar and challenge each and every individual like he did last year in the playoffs with Edmonton. Maybe a "players only" meeting with this as a backdrop might help them to gel.

Did’nt we loose the game because on the second last play we downed the receiver who was rolling on the ground instead of letting the clock run out.

That’s pretty much the exact right use for that line! Right on!

Did the defence adjust after half-time? I couldn't stay up and watch the rest.

If it did, then perhaps "Ben Johnson" has a reason to stay. (Am I the only one who thought that was just a little unprofessional?)

Yeast had a couple of decent returns last night...but I agree, he's not our best returning option.

That said...he's been our best receiver this season, other than maybe Terry Vaughan. Everyone else has been more or less invisible.

I liked what I saw from Quinnie though. Especially on the one play when he was on the sidelines jumping up and down and swinging a towel. This guy really wants to win, and that's a big asset to have on a receiver who could have easily been sitting down waiting for his turn to get out on the field.

I’ve seen that “bump” quite often here…what does it mean?

If you post something you think is good, and a lot of other threads get started around the same time, it might get pushed way down to the bottom of the screen where nobody will read it. So you “bump” it back to the top by posting the word “bump”.

An excellent reader’s digest assessment.

Craig Yeast had a very good game receiving. He does show, however, that he is inferior when it comes to punt and kick returning.
Anybody else think Quinnie ought to replace Yeast on PR ?

Peace.

Sorry can't agree with putting Quinnie on PR duty. From what I've seen of him, he's too valuable as a receiver (if they ever threw him the ball more than once a game).

I think people are seeing now what I've been saying since the team was selected. That is that Quinnie and Brooks are players. I know a lot of people were pretty upset when we let Tal Gardner go, but I think you're going to see that Quinnie was a real find. As for Brooks, once he gets a little more acclimatized to the Canadian game we should have us a top notch MLB. Having said that we still need a quality free safety and oh yah, a defensive co. :cowboy:

just my two cents worth :cowboy:

i just think Maas is a joke. Dont give me this crap about him not being used to the WR's. Soon he is going to have more interceptions than yardage.

JOKE.

Well, Sigpig’s thread-starting post was a very good assessment of the few things that went right for the Ticats that game, and the many things that went wrong. I do agree with very much of what was said, and it’s the kind of post-game analysis I like to see here.

I’m assuming that “pass” was what you meant to type and you just left out the first letter of that word in a typo. Or maybe you were trying to say that the play calling was asinine.

:)

Holmes will replace Yeast on Kicks and punts so there really isnt a discussion there.

And I have been wondering why there hasn’t been as much discussion as to how the team missing Holmes affected the team.

But maybe that’s because many people here think Paopao probably wouldn’t know how to best utilize Holmes on offence.

And Holmes cant kick FG's :wink:

Holmes will replace Yeast on Kicks and punts so there really isnt a discussion there.
And I have been wondering why there hasn't been as much discussion as to how the team missing Holmes affected the team
Following these lines of thought ... there is NO DOUBT the offence suffered without Holmes in the lineup.

It is EVIDENT that Corey will be relied on heavily in the backfield as both runner and receiver … IF Quinnie could be relied on for PR - it would go along way toward protecting Corey from OVERUSE and INJURY.

Just my .02. Take it for what it is worth.

Peace.