'We continued to believe': Elks rally for much-needed win

MONTREAL — The Edmonton Elks stepped up on both sides of the ball to erase a 19-point deficit in the second half against Montreal on Thursday night for their second win of the season.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/07/15/we-continued-to-believe-elks-rally-for-much-needed-win/

That was no rally...they played a team that has most players not wanting to play for their coach...period

The Montreal Alouettes let a commanding 31-12 lead slip away at home versus the Elks in the Week 6 opener. :shushing_face: The Als were penalized for 193 yards in addition to 3 pass interference calls on Als Wes Sutton. :thinking: Ed Gainey's pick set up the final touchdown with less than six minutes in the final frame. Final score Elks 32-Als-31. :bangbang:

2 Likes

[quote="rider01.1, post:2, topic:79349"]

That was no rally...they played a team that has most players not wanting to play for their coach...period

[/quot

Really ? Lol how does a team score 31 points in a game and a 19 point lead and not want to play for their coach ??? Lol This is the same Montreal team that absolutely SPANKED your sliders in Montreal a few weeks back lol your sliders barely beat the Elks lol other than that all your wins are against the lowly eastern teams lol

1 Like

Your exactly right , and you have this riders guy trying to make excuses when his team was spanked by the same team a few weeks back

2 Likes

Yep,
Elks luck out a little bit, and should be good vultures to pick their bones for any more who abandons the Al's..... Such as V Adams, Worthy, Richards.

Danny Maciocia is not a good coach and this will end badly for Montreal.

1 Like

Your right a good coach doesn’t win a Grey Cup in 2005

Dude, that had nothing to do with coaching. That Edm team was stacked with talent. They were going to win no matter who coached the team.

Not really if I recall they were 13-5 so they were beatable

And in 2006 the team missed the playoffs for the first time in 35 years. Ouch! Then they promoted him and they did worse in 2007. LOL. So you are right, they were beatable.

1 Like

Then I remember we went 7 - 11 in '06, 5 -12 in '07, with Ricky Ray at QB. We did improve in '08 but it was too late to save him after two years of missing the playoffs.

Danny Macoicia is all about Danny Macoicia. He has been itching to prove 2005 was not a fluke and is betting his jobs on it, unfortunately for him.

Did you see him last night - standing all alone - never saw him interact with team - just busy chatting with the booth and probably changing play calls.....

Right. They must have wanted to get the outgoing coach fired vs Calgary because they laid down after getting a big lead. Hamilton players have the same problem. Laid down vs Calgary after the half because they wanted to get their coach fired. Not because Calgary came back & beat them. Here's the thing. The Elks won with 9 guys penciled in to start on the 6 game. Plus Ford on the 1 game but likely gone for a month. This game Walker was helped off the field, Watson injured & didn't return, Locksley likely out for awhile playing hurt & Foucault also out & didn't return. They have the youngest team in the league with a lot of them being asked to play big minutes. Let's give some credit where it's due.

This is year 1 for Jones. Let me refresh your memory. In 2016, ground zero of the Jones era, the Riders were thumped 41-3 by Mtl, 53-7 by Hamilton & 41-18 by BC.

Remember he took the Riders to within a minute of a GC appearance in year 2 & left a team that finished 1st in '19. This is year 3 of the Dickenson era established by Jones. Worry about the Riders. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Just like the riders were beatable in 120 of 124 years in the league winning only 4 cups in 124 years

They scored 31 because the elk are shite team too... Just a few more good players than the losing team... Did you see Danny M give his pregame inspirational talk .. watching paint dry for 8 hours woulda been more inspiring

They do what all young teams do from time to time and loose composure. Good teams jump on it, not so good don't.
Can't loose the turnover game and expect to win when the other team puts up points on turnovers.

Again, worry about the Riders. Anybody who has 4 Grey Cups in over a century has a pretty good 1st hand knowledge of what shite teams look like.

I like the Riders now & think they have a legitimate shot to get to the Cup. But, as they say about Karma, Rider........... Any bets on whether Jones carries the Cup before the Riders do?

A little story you may not know. When the Esks were winning Cups, Regina lured Faragelli over to coach the Riders in 1980 in the midst of their run. That's when the "curse" began. Of the last 17 HC in Regina, 6 coached in Edmonton & won GC's there. None won after leaving for Regina. The magic wasn't gone. No, outside of Jauch, all of them won GC's again after leaving Regina. In fact, Matthews went to 4 GC's right after leaving & won 3 of them. Will Dickenson break the curse? You'd hope so. :sunglasses:

[quote="pantsonfire, post:17, topic:79349"]
...h the Riders in 1980 in the midst of their run. That's when the "curse" began. Of the last 17 HC in Regina, 6 coached in Edmonton & won GC's there. None won after leaving for Regina. The magic wasn't gone. No, outside of Jauch, all of them won GC's again after leaving Regina. In fact, Matthews went to 4 GC's right after leaving & won 3 of them. Will Dickenson break the curse? You'd hope so.
[/quote]certainly improve the team. By the end of the season he will be winning games against very good teams. In fact with the win loss record now he is in good shape for the post season. The riders right now have big key players out with injury and that idiot on that four game suspension. It would not be a stretch to see the wheels start to wobble for the riders starting this weekend and give the EE an even better opportunity to get third place.
Good natured ribbing is far from some of the ignorant shite posts others make here constantly.....

Fully agree. Look, everyone should be able to take some ribbing about their teams. Yeah, I'm sorry to say Fajardo looks like he might have to sit out a game or two. This is the time to do it. Damage it further & you risk missing big games down the stretch. I have a lot of respect for Dickenson but he's in a bit of a spot with his team. Not the 1st time Duke has been accused of spitting - I believe it happened in his time with the Elks if memory serves. I think he has to send a message & sit someone down if the penalties continue. The penalties have to stop - far past time.

As for the Elks, IMO this is 2016 all over again where they got blown out multiple times & then went on a winning streak down the stretch. I think they're in next year country. Again, like 2016. Six games in & they may get some guys back. Decimated on defence so we'll see, Rider. I don't think anything has settled yet in either conference. Injuries play such a big part, no matter the team.