Watched Akli Smith today?

Well considering last year was the first year the league officially allowed teams to hold rookie camps, I just don’t see your point. The Bombers held a rookie camp last season and will hold one again this year. So what if it is only a day or two before training camp opens, the Bombers have already prescouted these guys at the try outs down south.

I believe Hank has expressed that it was not so much the competition (football is competiton) but more the fact that he was insulted by the offer from Shivers. Again old news move on little rider fan.

Really piggy, what you do not think these guys have not been seen before they came up here for a try out camp. These guys camp from several camps over the winter in the US. The only difference is the month they are in the city. It is better to have it a month from TC. This allows the player to know he will go to TC and can prepare to find accomodations. Again what is the difference. I believe the Bombers scouting is from other teams TC cuts :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hitting a nerve am I? You seem to want avoid the fact that Burris might be afraid of competition. It definitely didnt help him in Western semi-final last year now , did it? His psyche took a hit and now if a younger guy pushes him hard, that might even damage it further. You should maybe get yourself a Burris su-cks tee there 05, you might need it sooner than you think.

No I am not like some rider fans who still to this day feel betrayed right Sambo. Maybe it is time for a Dr with couch to help you through this time of need. Read the story below from Sports Net then just may be the jealousy you have will subside.

Sportsnet

CALGARY (CP) – Akili Smith put down the “For Sale” sign to pick up a football again.

The third overall pick by the Cincinnati Bengals in the 1999 NFL draft didn’t want to continue his career in real estate in San Diego without giving football one more shot.

He’s taking that shot with the CFL’s Calgary Stampeders.

The 31-year-old from San Diego signed a two-year contract and worked out at Calgary’s free-agent tryout camp Thursday.

“I’ve got a lot of football left in my tank,” Smith said. "I only have 22 games played in the NFL.

“I am fortunate and blessed as far as the finances are concerned. I just have that burning desire to play football. I’m here now trying to get a starting job.”

Smith threw 32 touchdown passes in 11 starts in his senior year at Oregon to earn the attention of NFL scouts.

The NFL draft Saturday is headlined by JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn, but eight years ago, Smith was one of five pivots taken in the first round.

The Bengals made him the third overall pick behind fellow quarterbacks Tim Couch and Donovan McNabb. Smith was taken ahead of Daunte Culpepper at No. 11.

“That was a big day and it was a blessing,” Smith recalled. "There’s not too many people who are fortunate to be among the top picks. "

That was the high point of Smith’s tenure in Cincinnati. He missed some of the Bengals’ training camp in a contract dispute, but eventually agreed to a deal with a reported $10.8-million US signing bonus.

He played only 17 games in four years in Cincinnati before he was released. He completed 215 of 461 passes for 2,212 yards, five touchdowns and 13 interceptions there.

“It didn’t work out for me,” Smith said. “I got to start my second year and I didn’t play well, and then after that I played one game in my third year and one game in my fourth year and after that I was pretty much done.”

The Green Bay Backers gave him a chance to become Brett Favre’s backup in 2003, but let him go. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers gave him a look two years ago, but he didn’t stick.

“Once you’re out of the loop, it’s pretty tough to get back in,” Smith said.

Smith’s last game was two years ago with NFL Europe’s Frankfurt Galaxy.

The six-foot-three, 220-pound pivot still has a powerful, accurate arm and that was on display Thursday at McMahon Stadium.

He insists the CFL isn’t a route back to the NFL for him.

“I’m not thinking about the NFL. I’m out here to play Canadian football,” Smith said.

Henry Burris is Calgary’s starting quarterback and Smith has to navigate the learning curve of Canadian football in order to take that job away from Burris.

“No matter how good a guy’s tools are, we’ve seen a lot of guys come up in this league with a lot of credentials and they can’t do it,” Stampeders general manager Jim Barker said. "We’re never going to know until we get to exhibition season, watch him in those, watch how he reacts in a regular game.

“His role is to challenge Henry Burris as the quarterback. Henry is our starting quarterback. We expect Henry to elevate his game. The better Akili is, the better Henry is going to be.”.

Smith feels he’s gotten a fresh start both personally and professionally. He was married Saturday before coming to Calgary and says his wife Tiesha makes sure he stays in shape.

“Being a bachelor in the NFL can be pretty tough,” Smith said. "You got so many people coming at you with business cards and all different types of opportunities and things like that. It is pretty distracting.

“Now that I’m locked down, I’m a lot more focused. I should be able to succeed out here hopefully.”

Calgary also signed defensive Lineman Alonzo Jackson and linebacker Matt Grootegoed on Thursday.

Smilin’ Hank says lots of things, depending on who he thinks his audience is.
The guy will make a great politician someday…
In fact Hank usually says it was not a money issue at all.
What he does say is he did not like the fact that Roy had the audacity to shop him around on the trade market, and he has very clearly stated that what “insulted” him, was that the Riders signed Nealon to a new long term contract…
Apparently the fact that we were willing to offer Hank more than twice as much money as we did Nealon was not enough guarantee for him that he was the #1 guy going into training camp.
The fact is, Hank’s primary demand to sign was that we either trade or release Nealon.
And he has stated that for the record.
And he likely made similar demands of Calgary as they proceeded to release all their veteran QBs upon Hank signing (not that any of them were much of a loss)

Hank is a very gifted athlete, but his head is not screwed on quite right.

Jealous of Hank? Jealous of the fact that he cant lead his team beyond the West Semi-final? Seems you are the one with the issue here.

Ok jealous Rider fans I believe we have gone through this for two seasons now you would think by now you have gotten over the fact he left your team. Get use to having a non talented QB. Thats go back to the orignal theme of this thread. I expect nothing less then a three page reply from Arius.

:lol: And where did he lead your losing team! Almost to a GC. Where has what's his name you no the guy the QB's your team gotten you lately. Oh yes thats right you won a game against the Stamps last year that is your GC game. OH yes what's his name Kerry Joseph the guy that basically killed the team in Ottawa :lol: :lol:

Another post that makes sense only to you , 05. My guess is that Barker and Hellard arent happy with results they have been getting from Burris, which is why they are looking at a 31 yr old QB, who they hope can step in and make an impact right away. They are hoping he can push Burris to be better, but that can backfire. Maybe Henry has matured enough to handle the personal competition--something he will have to prove that he can deal with, and make him a better QB, but dont hold your breath on that one.

Well Sambo unlike some of your Rider buddies I actually respect your opinion but in this case I would have to say the fact the Stamps need a number 2 Qb would be my guess why Smith is a guy that can help. You seem to read to much into this after all Smith has not played a down of CFL. They require a QB that can come in learn the gaem and if called on be ready to play. Read the articles written it tells you the story. For me to change your opinion that will not happen after all you have that burning desire to hate anything Burris. I find it funny it has been two seasons and you still find the need to attack Hank. That is very very funny.

Read this article in your Rider Nation newspaper:

Did he not have competition when he was here? Yes. Did he b*tch and moan about it? Yes. Is that not why he said he left Saskatchewan? Yes. Bottom line is that he more than likely isnt gonna welcome it. I have never liked him and still dont, so I hope Akili Smith does well. However, I think Akili unfortunately wont succeed.

Wow there is no joking with you rider fans. And it is funny you still think highly of Hank Burris. I believe the Stamps will do very well this year. I can not say the same about those rebuilding Riders. :lol: :lol: Is it the Ottawa Riders? :lol: :lol: