Watch Free and Online: Welcome to CFL Preseason Live and CFL+

When the CFl says it wants to broaden it’s appeal internationally, by that they obviously mean “USA”, and forget the true fans living outside of North America. For years YareTv had the streaming rights and for a very reasonable amount of money, you had all the games streamed lived and archived for on-demand, meaning ex-pats all over the world could enjoy the games. They took those streaming rights away from YareTV this year. It is not realistic to expect people living overseas to get up in the middle of the night (or in our case in Japan, to skip work to watch an 8am game). On-demand meant we could wait until the evening, invite people from all over the world to come over and watch & actually do something to expand the game internationally. This decision just means anyone living overseas is basically screwed. Extremely disappointed, but actually not surprised. Idiotic decisions seem to be the mainstay these past few years…

2 Likes

This has been addressed many times. There’s the option of getting a VPN and subscribing to TSN+ games. The other option is to complain directly to the CFL. The more complaints they get the faster they’ll address the issue.

3 Likes

Yes, but I understand what the CFL is dong. There are loyal fans overseas but there are very few, most are Canadians working temporary in other countries.
But there are millions of football fans in the US and that’s where the potential is of getting new viewers and money,

It’s not ideal right now for some overseas viewers with the time difference but you do get to watch the games for free.
The CFL maybe working on a solution but for the few that want vod, there are ways as discussed above.

3 Likes

All I’m saying is if you are supposedly a “professional sports league”, on-demand is pretty much standard worldwide. Streaming is not a new kid in town and to be regressing like this is rather embarrassing…

I’d suggest they need to stream and make it downloadable after the fact. Like it’s always been. Lame. I expect that will be the case soon enough. Honestly. I’ll put it on my iPad and record it with my phone while sleeping. Not ideal. But doable. I will be in China again. So…

3 Likes

It’s not like making it viewable via an archive of downloadable games is difficult. Lol. I expect it’s coming and will be as such in the blink of an eye.

1 Like

I use my mothers cable package. FYI. Try it. Surely you have friends or family still on cable. I merely sign in with her account and view while using my vpn. Super easy.

I am from Austria and i hope that the cfl will VOD, in near time. I would pay for it, as i paid for Yare TV. Could not be so difficukt to get VOD for the games. so pls mak e it possible :slight_smile:

4 Likes

CFL Minus: I am from BC but live in Malaysia; without on demand, the live games will do us no good. YARETV on demand was very helpful and never minded paying. Give us on demand so overseas fans can still watch games! I’m trying to turn my kids onto the CFL. This is making it impossible.

3 Likes

if any of you want make a complaint about this to the CFL office, please do so here Contact Us - CFL.ca

2 Likes

I hope CFL games will be on the paramount plus app in the USA I don’t have the CBS sports network but CBS does own paramount plus

2 Likes

Don’t think so, that’s probably the reason why the CFL has created the CFL+ app. They realized that the CBSSN deal was better financially but far fewer people would have access to the CFL. Stream it and everyone in the US and around the world has free access to every game.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. Here’s another explanation of perhaps why that is not happening, much as I also had hoped as I am also a customer of Paramount+.

The amount that would be paid for the streaming rights is certainly not much at all, and Paramount+ is now in its initial decline as a platform much as we cover in the streaming thread. I put that information in the second link, and there have been many adverse developments in the last ten days on that front at Paramount.

2 Likes

Get me streaming NRL and Premier League Rugby and I will help you out…

The real truth - Canada’s distribution rights is a cluster something that doesn’t allow us to view streaming for leagues some TV channel has the rights to broadcast.

Same goes the other way…because of their deal with ESPN/TSN the CFL doesn’t really own distribution rights to their own broadcasts…

TSN only holds the Canadian broadcast/distribution rights, the CFL has the rights for outside Canada

1 Like

ESPN has been rightfully shown the door, which was rightfully slammed on their way out.

I would have gone further and would have kicked them right on the butt out the door. With a running start too.

1 Like

But all the broadcast material belongs to TSN and the CFL…If its their cameras, on air staff, production, and copyright I can’t imagine the CFL could distribute without their permission.
That would be more than stupid to do all the work to put it on air and just hand the rights over the the CFL alone to distribute it internationally and make money from your work.

1 Like

I would imagine that the CFL doesn’t distribute without TSNs permission.
There is likely something in place.
TSN has paid the CFL $50 million per year for the Canadian rights only.

3 Likes

But if a game starts here at 4:00 PM Sunday he will get at 4:00 AM Monday!

1 Like

Yes a problem for the Sunday night games over there but if someone is working Monday morning they just get up earlier and watch the whole game before work.
Or they record, there is software available.
Or they sign up for TSN+ use a vpn and access vod.