wanted: Linebackers

we need linebackers
someone proven with knowledge of the game and some ability
Bring back Renard Cox/Scott Coe

big NO to Renard Cox. Always out of position, and hardly ever solo tackled.

We may still pick up one young Canadian linebacker in the draft to backup and play special teams, but we have a good LB core as is.

On one side, Mariuz and Botterill battling to start. Moreno is a lock in the middle. And Obie said in a TicatsTV clip that they are looking at a new, very aggressive DB, Calvin Carlyle, to perhaps be the starting SAM LB.

How bout Strickland???

a solid line backing core doesn't have a HUGE question mark at one spot. We don't even have the second outside spot settled. isn't it putting all our eggs in one basket trusting Mariuz or Botterill to make an impact? Im saying we should at least sign Cox for training camp. If he doesnt make the cut, than no loss. But we certainly need a few bodies for camp.

sorry, i forgot all about Ryan Glasper. He was a machine last year when he was starting alongside Armour and Moreno. Id be satisfied with Moreno, Glasper and Mariuz/Botterill. But still, more competition would be welcomed. Disregard my last post

Moreno and Mariuz are a lock. I believe Mariuz had 14 tackles in the last two games alone when Armour was down.

Glasper is a suspect special teams player (multiple no yards penalties last year) and a liability in pass coverage (burned covering slotbacks multiple times last year). He will have to use his head more and improve his pass coverage if he hopes to make an impact with the Cats.

The biggest linebacking question is who will step in if Moreno goes down. Obie needs to bring in a quality import backup MLB.

I know it's probably not ideal but Mariuz did line up often Inside last year when we used the 3-4. So if Moreno goes down it could just cause a small position shift.

something like glasper(currently) on the strong side, Mariuz in the middle, and Botrill on the weakside. Especially if Mariuz and Botrill are rotating duties.

now, it just depends what system our DC want's to use, and how he balances the ratio.

The upside for Glasper is that he is very young . I am sure seeing all of that motion before the snap and the no yards rule were mind boggling for the kid.Jamacia Jackson is probably in the same category.Both have youth and speed but they will make rookie mistakes.This year they should be better.That is what training camp is all about.Speaking of training camp (a Brian Williams segue), spring has finally arrived in Southern Ontario with the arrival of the turkey vultures high overhead as I type.
Pat Lynch (the old guy in section 7 )

Geez Pat.... you must REALLY be the OLD guy in section 7, if the vultures are circling overhead! :wink:
I agree with your comments above. While another veteran LB would be a nice addition, I don't think our current youth at the position is a huge concern.

Here's my stab at what the depth chart looks like at LB if training camp started today...
44 MARIUZ WLB N
0 BOTTERIL WLB N
37 NEDD WLB N
16 MORENO MLB I
6 JACKSON MLB I
40 GLASPER SLB I
23 HARDEN SLB I
0 CARLYLE SLB I
0 SISKOWIC SLB I

Haren actually wasn't a bad player last year. I forgot about him.

I suppose it really depends on which defensive scheme is used... personally, not a huge fan of the 3/4. Regardless, at least one other proven vet at LB wouldn't hurt.