Want Your Votes

With Ottawa coming into the league teams are allowed to protect ONE QB, if your hamilton what do you do. Your going into a new stadium, do you bring a new QB in ? Burris will be 38.
A-Protect Burris
B-Protect Lefevour
C-Bring in someone new

Unless Burris gets hurt and LeFevour tears up the league, I really doubt that Ottawa would take either. Right now I'd take whoever the Stamps and Argos don't protect. Tate/Levi-Mitchell, Ray/Collaros.

The only way to make a choice, now, considering we don't know what may occur during the remainder of this season, is to pretend that today is the week the protected lists are submitted and the draft is taking place this month. Based on that:

Burris, if he is not going to become a free agent in February. (I've read reports suggesting that he is now in his option year)
Otherwise, LeFevour.

I wasn't aaking who would ottawa take, I was just curious as to who the people thought the cats would protect.

IMHO Austin will sign Burris to a 2+1 extension soon.
Caretaker will want Burris to lead this team into the new Stadium and by the look of Hank,
There is no reason to think that he is slowing down one iota.
My vote is to protect Burris, both on the field and in the draft.

Don't think that Ottawa will be interested in Burris but they will protect him anyway. They will probably take 3 QBs from other teams, likely Willy, Collarus and Kevin Glen.

A) Protect Burris. Last year was a record breaking and personal best year for him, and he's on a similar pace yardage wise, and is protecting the ball better.

Simply put, he's one of the best QBs in the league at a young, fit and healthy 38.

LeFevour has proven almost nothing. At this point he is very replaceable by any one of many young, unproven QBs.

Ottawa is only allowed to select 2 QB’s in the draft

[url=http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/REDBLACKS+expansion+draft+rescheduled/8727268/story.html]http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/RED ... story.html[/url]

* Ottawa will have the ability to select not more than two quarterbacks and not more than one kicker or punter (not both a kicker and punter). No current club can have both a quarterback and a kicker or punter selected from its roster, nor can any single team have more than one quarterback selected from its roster.

IMHO Desjardins will make every attempt to lure Adrian Macpherson from the Arena league back to the CFL.

Agree to a point on what your saying.I think that they'll protect Lefevour,instead of Burris.Hanks age (39 next year)and contract will deter Ottawa from drafting him,as you say there are going to be other younger q.b's available to draft.Burris is our q.b. for the present,Lefevour,our q.b of the future.As for Masoli and Brohm,theres no chance of Ott. drafting either of these two.So in a nutshell,Burris will still be our q.b next year,regardless if you protect him or not.Theres not much upside to an expansion team drafting a 39 year old q.b. when younger ones are available.....so my vote goes to B-Protect Lefevour.

Ya, sorry, I had meant to imply that we probably don't need to protect either so we should take the opportunity to protect another player instead, however, it appears we get a designated slot to protect a QB, so... protect Burris.
LeFevour has proven nothing. He is no different than Kevin Eakin or Timmy Chang at this point. Unless of course he gets a chance to show his stuff later this season and excels.

If this is indeed the final year of Burris' contract, and the Cats want to keep him, they should make a hand-shake agreement on an extension but don't officially sign it until AFTER the expansion draft.
Ottawa won't take a player who's contract is about to expire because they risk losing them on Feb 16th.

Then protect LeFevour.

Ottawa will take two of the follwoing QB's: Collaros, Levi-Mitchell or Willy. All of these kids have started games and won. LeFevour looks good, but hasn't played enough to warrant being chosen by the RedBlacks.

Ottawa will also sign a vet to mentor these kids. It will be anyone with experience recently cut or not re-signed by their current club after this year. That might = Glenn or Kerry Joseph.

They will protect Burris and know that Ottawa will not take L. with so much other talent out there. Toronto is going to have a problem though, protect Ray or Collarus? Whichever you don't protect will be gone.

Would anyone say that the Argos are married to Ray as their guy for the next 5 years (or however long it might be)??

If they don't protect Ray, they are giving up an est. QB, not to mention a guy who brought the 100th Grey Cup to T-Dot. Only downside being that he is 33, which isn't old, but he's definitely getting up there in age. He could play for another 7 years, or he could fizzle out within the next 3, who knows.

If they don't protect Collaros, they may be giving up the most talented young gun in the league today, and possibly the future of the Argos for a long, long time.

I am glad I don't have to make this decision.

As for the Cats, I'd protect Burris out of fear that Ottawa decides they want a vet to lead the team for the first couple "dark years" (the way the east looks, the RedBlacks could easily be contenders next year however). I don't think Ottawa will even think of taking LeFevour when a combo of, Tate/Bo-Levi/Glenn and Collaros/Ray with be available. Only way Ottawa 100% won't take Burris will be if Ray is left unprotected, but even then I don't think the chances are high of Ottawa cherry picking one of our QBs. I think I'd take Glenn over Burris if I were taking the vet route, and Glenn is 99.9% guaranteed to be available.

In short, protect Burris just to be safe.

Would anyone say that the Argos are married to Ray as their guy for the next 5 years (or however long it might be)??

If they don't protect Ray, they are giving up an est. QB, not to mention a guy who brought the 100th Grey Cup to T-Dot. Only downside being that he is 33, which isn't old, but he's definitely getting up there in age. He could play for another 7 years, or he could fizzle out within the next 3, who knows.

If they don't protect Collaros, they may be giving up the most talented young gun in the league today, and possibly the future of the Argos for a long, long time.

I am glad I don't have to make this decision.

As for the Cats, I'd protect Burris out of fear that Ottawa decides they want a vet to lead the team for the first couple "dark years" (the way the east looks, the RedBlacks could easily be contenders next year however). I don't think Ottawa will even think of taking LeFevour when a combo of, Tate/Bo-Levi/Glenn and Collaros/Ray with be available. Only way Ottawa 100% won't take Burris will be if Ray is left unprotected, but even then I don't think the chances are high of Ottawa cherry picking one of our QBs. I think I'd take Glenn over Burris if I were taking the vet route, and Glenn is 99.9% guaranteed to be available.

In short, protect Burris just to be safe.[/quote

Ya I agree, I don't think they go with a 39yr old if they want a vet, Glenn will be left unprotected and is younger and knows and understands the game just as much as Hank. To this day I still disagree with trading him away, I know people say he can't win the big game but I've always liked him as a QB he did a great job here and was pissed when they traded him

In reply to your stated three choices. I would protect Lefevour....and keep my fingers crossed that Ottawa does not want a 38 year old QB on it's roster. :wink:
However......if the question was more general I would protect Burris and Lefevour.

No question protect Burris. No disrespect to LeFevour, he's a great impact player but I would rather take Bo Levi Mitchell, Kevin Glenn or Drew Tate over him right now. Heck, if I could I'd try to snag Adrian MacPherson from the arena league as my starter and grab one of Calgary's QBs.

Also having to pick Collaros, Wily and LeFevour...well that's just too close to call, but I'd probably favour Collaros.

Another consideration that is part of this process is also potentially taking the wind out of your east division opponents sails with your picks. If you steal key players from the teams you are going to be playing the most, it certainly improves your chances of making the playoffs.

Yes, losing LeFevour would hamstring our teams future at QB, but Brohm and Masoli aren't so shabby that it would be a disaster if we lost LeFevour at backup. Conversely, Toronto losing Collaros is much more substantial as Josh Portis is a mystery. Yes, Ray who might have more in the tank then Burris but has a reoccurring knee injury. If Ray gets hurt (which is likely given his knee) and the Argos don't have Collaros, it's a disaster.

However, by far my first option would be to try to snag Adrian MacPherson from the arena league as my starter. He's got experience, he's been playing the game, he wants to lead and has proven he can, he's lit up the arena league and you can still draft one of Calgary's QB to back him up.

If I were Hamilton, I wouldn't worry. I don't think the Chekerboards would be interested in either one. Burris is getting older and Ottawa will be looking to the future, LeFevour doesn't get used enough for a proper evaluation.l

You're forgetting about Trevor Harris who is also on the Argos' roster. It was a toss-up between Collaros and Harris as to who would be Ray's back-up. Callaros has emerged as the front-runner based on the BC game.