WALL OF HONOUR

WONDERING WHY BERNIE RUOFF IS NOT ON THE WALL? HE SPEND 7 GREAT SEASONS WITH THE TICATS AND STILL HOLDS MANY RECORDS TO THIS DAY.

Or Cam Fraser or Henry Waszchuk or Howard Fields yet Les Browne is on it ?

The following is with regard to 2018 inductee, Joe Montford:

Wall of Honour inductees are chosen by a 7 person selection committee comprised of an Alumni representative and Wall of Honour Inductee, a Community and Media representative and three Tiger-Cat Club reps, selected Joe in a two-stage voting process from an initial list of 10 nominees.

Criteria used to select candidates include:

• CFL Recognition: Selected to CFHOF, CFL all-star and/or individual awards
  • Statistical achievements for his position(s)
  • Leadership Roles: Captain and/or play caller
  • Winning Achievements: Grey Cup & Division Championships
  • Media Recognition: Acknowledged for accomplishments by local or national media
  • Club Longevity: Prolonged and successful career with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats
  • Character: Exemplified being a Tiger-Cat on and off the field including community involvement

Arguably it is more difficult to get on the Wall of Honour than it is to be inducted into the CFHOF. 8)

If that criteria was consciously applied then Les Browne had one helluva 4 years here.

always felt Les had no business being up there.

Great player on a great defense…put him on the wall? , fine, then how do you leave off Howard Fields?
8 seasons, 4 time East All Star, 2 time League All Star, returned K/P, GC Champ.
It’s a gross oversight, imo.

1. I agree, could never figure that one selection out at all !! :-[

Other than the fact that he still makes his home in Hamilton, if that means anything ::slight_smile: ::slight_smile:

When this group wins the cup you can easily make the argument for Simoni/Banks

He did. 33 interceptions in his time with the Cats. In Fields’ 8 years with the Cats, he had 30.

Fair to argue whether longevity with the team should be weighted more heavily, but Browne’s overall career is clearly more distinguished than Fields’. Browne added 54 more ints in the six years after he left the Cats. Fields added 3 in one season for Calgary.

Not only is Browne the current record-holder for career interceptions, but the closest anyone has come to his record (87), is Barron Miles, who tied the pre-Browne record with 66.

But to stir the “longevity with the team” pot a little more, Winnipeg actually added Browne to their Team Hall of Fame this year:

What was accomplished after leaving HAM should have no bearing on the matter. And longevity should be weighted more. Fields chose to stay here. And it could b argued Fields was a more complete player given ST play.
WoH is not necessarily an honour for over achievers…Krouse and Danychuk, for example, were never stars, just steady performers like Fields who still had a measure of high achievement which makes it even more glaring.

I noticed that nowhere in the selection process or committee is mention made of we forum poster’s input. I suppose if the committee felt Browne met the criteria for selection, then he deserves to be there? End of speculation for me.