Walkosky leaving for Georgia Tech

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=389133

This is absolutely ridiculous. The league needs to close this loophole. Once you sign a contract for the upcoming season, you should be committed to that contract until the end of that season. Guys like Walkosky and Himebauch are using CFL deals to leverage jobs in the States, then running off and hosing the organizations that gave them a break.

...I have to agree discipline...It's getting a little late in the game to be beating the bushes for new coaches....oooops looks like Huffer has scared one up by the name of Rick Campbell...I'm sure the stamps fans are besides themselves with that hiring :roll:

It’s just bad for the league and its image. As if we’re some placeholder job you can commit to and then leave a few weeks or months later once you’ve used your CFL paycheque to find another job down south. The league has to close this loophole as soon as it can. I understand giving coaches the opportunity to look elsewhere, but that should not happen if you accept a position (especially a promotion!) for the upcoming season. The window of time should be fixed, after which you are locked into the job you have for the duration of the upcoming season. That is not asking too much, considering what the league does for ex-college coaches who come up here to fill out their CVs.

You leave an organization in this way and you should be blackballed from coming back to the CFL IMO. We don’t need coaches who have no respect for the league and its franchises.

It is a placeholder. These American coaches are rented talent. This is a top heavy league where GM’s, HC and starting QB’s make around half a million a piece and most everyone else makes crumbs. Don Mattews epressed the issues 15 years ago and the league does nothing. It makes no sense to have a 4.3 million dollar payroll for 52 players and then spend 3 million on coaches and GM’s. Assistants are on one year contracts and have no benefits of any kind.

I also suspect that Cohon is going to have his hands full during the next CBA negotiations. SMS was put in place for two things. Ensure a competitive playing field and allow all markets to break even or make money. It wasn’t designed to cut productive players acquired at free agency 11 months into a 3 year contracts. There are a couple bad apples running CFL teams that are going to cause big problems for the league during the next negotiations IMO.

[url=http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2012/02/29/tech-hires-special-teams-coordinator/]http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sport ... ordinator/[/url]

I would think Walkosky going to Georgia Tech (yes for more money) is a compliment to Dave since the school has not had a Special Teams Coordinator since 2008; thus also Walkosky has a resume in coaching down there, but not a typical one. Being blackbalkled and or having no repect for the CFL: NADA…ect.

Uh, which QB makes half a million?

I get that the pay structure needs to change. And certainly assistants should have benefits. But you came up here, you took this contract, and you worked in this league when those colleges down south wouldn’t look at you. Himebauch earned a steady paycheque with the Als for three years. Without the CFL, a lot of these guys might not be working in football. So the least they can do is honor the damn contracts they signed two months or two weeks (in Himebauch’s case) ago.

I also suspect that Cohon is going to have his hands full during the next CBA negotiations. SMS was put in place for two things. Ensure a competitive playing field and allow all markets to break even or make money. It wasn't designed to cut productive players acquired at free agency 11 months into a 3 year contracts. There are a couple bad apples running CFL teams that are going to cause big problems for the league during the next negotiations IMO.
Agreed. The next round of negotiations should be interesting.

I am not sure you can blame the league on this coaching carrousel which occurs every year.
It’s the involved teams and the HC and or Managers who sign the position coaches and then allow these moves and breaking of contracts some not even perceived as lateral?

Now why aren’t CFL contracts secured to prevent this from occurring?
What is the purpose of a valid contract if one or both parties are permitted to discard such a legal and supposedly binding agreement.

This does not make any sense whatsoever… :?

...wonder if these documents signed are not really 'contracts' but really 'non-binding agreements' in the legal sense?...maybe they are just publicly called contracts for lack of a better word....

....my wife's company has their employees sign work agreements that they call 'contracts'...when I was reading it there was a clause that said 'either party can end this contract without the other party's consent'...I told her that was BS, a true 'contract' in the eyes of the law cannot contain a clause like that, and it shouldn't therefore be called a contract but an agreement for lack of a better word...

....perhaps the papers signed by individual clubs are the same..

I was always told never to burn your bridges, enough said.

I’m not sure how these coaching contracts work, but you maybe on to something R&W. There must be a window to the effect that when an offer comes up that said coach is granted that opportunity to pursue better. However, once the CFL/NFL/NCAA/CIS starts there are restrictions?

unless being chased by the enemy :wink:

Agree with the original poster. If you can't even commit for ONE season, then don't come here at all! This is nonsense.

Keep in mind too that Walkosky had just been promoted to defensive coordinator. I know being a position coach in the CFL isn't exactly a high-paying, secure job, but I have to believe being a coordinator pays better. Nothing wrong with trying to better yourself, but when you accept a promotion within an organization, only to leave it a few weeks or months later because something better comes along, you're disrespecting the organization that gave you a chance in the first place.

That said, the league definitely needs to improve the base salary for assistant coaches, and give them benefits.

Or if you’re still on it… :lol:

Actually I would think beyond only the US from where I am speaking, for many contracts to contain such a clause is not unusual at all.

Usually there is a reasonable notification period unless one party wishes to cite breach of contract.

It’s still a contract.

TIP:
Especially if you are in any kind of sales, use the word “agreement” instead, as it is far more friendly. Legally most of the time it’s still a contract by any other name though.

If you are able to do so, secure the higher ground first, then counter-attack.

Otherwise if not already in combat, as is best to avoid whenever and if at all possible, go for the ambush and sabotage.

/The Art Of War 101 :slight_smile:

Who cares.... There are thousands of other Amrericans that we can bring in to do our jobs.... Don't even think about hiring Canadians though. I hate Steve Simmons with a burning passion, but even he agrees with me. http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/03/si ... was-sealed
Go to second last blirb.

You hate Steve Simmons but take time out of your day to read his articles? That makes absolutely no sense. If you hate him, why read him?

Same reason everyone slows down when there is a horrible car crash I guess.