Waco Ref Call in Toronto

Poor old Din is just grasping at straws.
Mike knows that with the team he has he can return to fight another day. Din's, and for that fact the Argos days might just be numbered if Larry T's interview with Globe and Mail June 9th is any indicator of the mood at MLSE.
Wpg, Sask and Edm are all community owned and that makes a huge difference
in fan attitude. Witness the retort of my thoughts on the Waco T.D. call from a Sask fan rider01-1. His first comments dealt with his absolute hatred of the Bombers.. Great stuff as it shows the depth of fan involvement the three teams have garnered. Calgary fans are good and loyal and BC....ummm.. lets see if Rourke continues his brilliance and if BC fans stick with him and the Lions if he comes down to earth from the stratosphere. I know the Cats are having problems but of all the eastern teams over the years, their fans have been especially loyal. Good on 'em !

Hey Narles

Did the ball come free or did Hamilton receiver pull it out "after the defender hit the ground with it in his arms "
As it turned out Blue won anyway but if they'd lost there would be more controversy. At any rate my contention regards the fact that the Ref had no sight of the ball until Banks came up with it. Bush league !

If you have looked at ANY of my posts there is not a shred of evidence I hate the bombers… In fact there may be 4 or 5 bomber fans come to my defense on this… you saw and still see the play wrong… Most likely only because you like to argue list causes … or just like to argue

1 Like

No longer reading your t
Replies on this thread

Yes I can vouch for Riderfan that he is not a hater of the Bombers, even though he is a Rider fan. In my experience most Bomber fans, including myself, get along with Rider fans. We just no longer eat watermelon.

As to the play, I lean towards interception. The ball was caught and controlled by Houston as he hit the ground. It should have ended there. Are we going to start allowing players to grab the ball from others in a scrum after a fumble? I think this was similar to that. It is also logical to me that since a runner can break the plane of the end zone with one millimeter of the ball to score a TD to end a play, why shouldn’t a catch be awarded the same treatment? After breaking the plane a runner can be stripped of the ball but it doesn’t matter. The play is over. That should apply equally to passes in the end zone. If the reverse happened and Houston stripped it from Banks I bet it would have been a TD.

I get that the rule may mandate these unexplainable arbitrary differences and if so the rule should be tightened up to be more consistent in the end zone, no matter how the ball got there or whether the offensive or defensive player is trying to catch it. Houston survived contact with the ground, he just didn’t survive contact with Banks.

In any event, no whining here. I am not surprised by the call and I think no matter what was called on the field it would not have been overturned. This wasn’t something like a blatant missed PI such as in the Rams/New Orleans game a few years back. That led to a rule change so maybe this will too. Otherwise I just see it as part of the game and the Bombers moved on and didn’t throw any tantrums. Sometimes you get the calls and sometimes you don’t.

2 Likes

Controversy is the spice of life. A Devil’s advocate I guess I am. Most sorry if I mistook you for the guy that told me of his hate for the Bombers, my sincere apologies.
CFL officiating is bad at least as evidenced by the comments of the Pundits and the league telling us they were doing a fix, so i’m not pulling this stuff out of thin air. You know when video replays became the norm in the league years ago I thought it was Bull as our Refs at the time were pretty accurate 95% of the time. But with the crews the last few years, vids are genuinely needed.

Flat out, IF the command centre does not see CLEAR EVIDENCE to overturn the call, they go with the call on the field.

That has never been more true than this year. Coaches don't throw challenges for PI unless there was a clearly missed call on the field. If it's just close - command centre looks at it at real speed a couple times and that's it. No frame by frame to see if the guy got there 1/60th of a second early.

As for last nights call:
SECTION 3 – POSSESSION
Possession means having the ball firmly held in hand or hands, arm or arms, leg
or legs, or under the body.
A ball not in possession of a player is still in play. A ball is considered to have
been fumbled if the player last in possession has lost control of it.

So if the officials saw he didn't have possession, then the play and the ball was still live....

3 Likes

The ball was clearly in the bombers hands, he survived contact with the ground (knee), survived contact again with the ground (elbow) , shoulder hit the ground and ball came loose after. Then Banks trapped the ball between his legs and the ground, with the point of the ball clearly on the ground (incomplete pass)

What an embarrassment on USA broadcasted 4rth of July.

The Proulx crew need to go. It's game after game. Doesn't matter who is playing, just terrible and missed calls.

2 Likes

I was going to suggest nothing surprises me with the worst ref in the CFL - Proulx, but then I remembered it's never his fault. It's only his crews fault because they make all the calls, and never Andre himself. He's a walking joke.

2 Likes

Seems pretty clear

Good photo. You can see Banks with his hand pulling the arm away no doubt but you can't see that the hand is on the ball. Player is down at the one for sure. I thought it was an interception at the time and would have challenged the play. Was there early contact that could have drawn a flag?

Regardless, clearly by your photo and the technology today they can freeze frame the critical second on every down which is what they need to do. USFL did it well.

As much as it has been discussed CFL/ TSN has never really done much in that area.

1 Like

CFL has some explaining to do.

2 Likes

Trust me as a Hamilton fan and judging on past experiences the league will come back in a few days with a big “ooopsy” we screwed up , sorry bout that.

The only difference is that unlike Hamilton when the league has admitted screwing up after the fact ? this screw up didn’t effect the final outcome of the game .

1 Like

And so do a couple of posters here !

It didn’t affect the outcome only because of the missed convert, but it still had a big effect on the game.

But in fairness, it was one of the most difficult calls to make live I have ever seen. Even the replays shown weren’t definitive. It is now a day later and we finally have some conclusive evidence that the call was wrong. That was my feeling all along but I can understand how it was muffed at the time.

1 Like

Was it proulx? At the end of the game, the bad call(s) didn’t change the outcome. I’ve just seen this garbage from the same 2 lead officials for years. Booth review is supposed to fix the errors, but they always side with the (wrong) call on the field.
It was all game long. The second (third?) “offside defensive line” penalty against argos was highly questionable.
It’s tough watching some games and seeing reasonable and decent officiating, and then watching this garbage. Totally changes the game.

1 Like

Not sure how that is a hard call to make when it's reviewable scoring play .

If it was just a catch on the field with not much damage or relative insignificant yardage and not in the the end zone they could get away with the flow of the game excuse which I would find palatable as the games do need to move at a good pace .

So good with it if at that level of significance .

But a scoring play it's pretty easy using the cameras of TSN to see it was not a TD .

1 Like

Amen

Oh I agree it was a bad snap call and I know once it is made on field it’s really hard to overturn especially a play moving that fast

The only reason it didn’t come back to bite them is Toronto managed to miss a freakin convert
…should have gone for the 2 point regardless as Winnipeg had been shit moving the ball down field but Collaros in the red zone is a dangerous man

1 Like