Virtual Grey Cup Challenge, Week 5

The standings after Week 4 are posted here.

The complete rules are posted here.

Now on to Week 5. Montreal has the bye this week.
Calgary @ Ottawa
Toronto @ B.C.
Winnipeg @ Edmonton
Hamilton @ Saskatchewan

Good luck!

Calgary @ Ottawa
Toronto @ B.C.
Winnipeg @ Edmonton
Hamilton @ Saskatchewan

This is one tough week to pick. Here goes with some reasoning for the first time for me:

Ottawa - Calgary has pulled out some close ones but is just not as good as they are being made out to be. They are sort of like bizarro Saskatchewan, which is not as bad a team as an 0-4 record indicates. I just don’t like Calgary on the road though Ottawa have their issues at QB, but Burris still has the capability to have a solid game against the best team he ever played for in my view.

Toronto - BC is not very good either, and I see the week off helping Toronto that has a far better offence. BC will not be able to run all over Toronto like they did against that awful Riders’ defence. I had considered abstaining from this pick, but I am behind and it’s too early in the season.

Winnipeg - I have little confidence in Nichols and Willy has been solid in his two wins and one loss. Edmonton can only win this one via a strong running game and special teams in a close game, and with Winnipeg’s poor defence that is certainly a strong possibility. Poor and wet weather once again would favour Edmonton.

Hamilton - Unless Collaros screws things up like in Montreal, Hamilton should win because they are the better overall team. Bad and wet weather would favour Saskatchewan though.

Skyrocketing up those standings; now all alone at #48!! (Okay, not so great, but keep in mind, after Week 3 I was tied for 60th.)

Calgary @ Ottawa: Once again Calgary managed to squeak out a win. They're good at that. Ottawa has forgotten the attitude they had in the first two games, and has resumed being an expansion team. Not much of a contest here, I'm afraid. Stamps by 20.

Toronto @ B.C.: Toronto is coming off the bye after their first loss, while B.C. is on a 2-game winning streak (though admittedly both were against the Riders.) Going with the home team on this game, and the time zone advantage. Lions by 8.

Winnipeg @ Edmonton: Both of Edmonton's wins were against Ottawa, so it's hard to tell whether or not they're for real yet. Winnipeg could easily have been 3-1 but for that heartbreaking loss to Calgary. Another one too tough to call, so again I'm going with the home team. Esks by 4.

Hamilton @ Saskatchewan: Okay, no more talk from me about Hamilton being the class of the league, at least until they can put together back-to-back wins. Still, they're too good to be the first team to lose to the Riders, who despite putting up some impressive offensive stats haven't come out on top yet. Mosaic doesn't seem to be the advantage it once was, since 3 of their 4 losses have been at home. Cats by 9 (15 if Tasker is back.)

My picks are:

Calgary
Toronto
Winnipeg
Hamilton

Thank you

Richard

Started off the year pretty good but now I've dropped 33 spots in the standings, hope I do well
this week.

Ottawa (So close to picking Calgary)
Toronto
Winnipeg
Hamilton :roll: (This game is not going to be close, Hamilton by 30)

Most of the games this week are going to be close, it's going to be a coin toss for who ever wins (Except for the last game :roll: ).
Yeah no Thursday game this week. :smiley:

Thanks BD! :rockin:

Ottawa
Toronto
Edmonton
Saskatchewan

Ouch, a 1-3 week drops me 15 spots to 30th. This week doesn't look any better, especially when one is picking all away teams, it never bodes well...

Calgary - Ottawa appears to be back to it's old self...

Toronto - Harris has shown himself to be a bonafide starter, I can't see the Argos losing to the Lions with the way he's been playing.

Winnipeg - The Bombers are looking good in many aspects, but they are also playing the Eskimos whom I'm not sold on yet...

Hamilton - Sure the game is in Regina, but it's hard to pick a team that's started 0-4....

My picks for week 5:

Calgary- Ottawa is looking like the team of last year... don't see them winning this one
BC - they are better than most think, especially if Lulay gets rolling
Edmonton- should be another close one, but Esks should win this one at home
Hamilton- Riders are brutal... special teams are a mess and the D is coached by a buffoon...

Plummeted to 43rd with an 0-4 week and I'm falling fast.

Calgary @ Ottawa - Ottawas offense has been non existent the last 2 weeks

Toronto @ B.C. - Always pick the team coming off the bye...except when it's Toronto visiting BC where they have only won once in 13 years and that was after playing a western game the week before. Time change kills them again.

Winnipeg @ Edmonton - coin toss, may change this later in the week.

Hamilton @ Saskatchewan - Both teams have lost close games, both have blown games through stupid mistakes late in games. Toss up so I'll go with the home team, they have to win sometime.

Calgary @ Ottawa
Toronto @ B.C.
Winnipeg @ Edmonton
Hamilton @ Saskatchewan

Calgary
B.C.
Edmonton
Hamilton

Ottawa vs Stampeders - CALGARY
BC Lions vs Toronto - TORONTO
Eskimos vs Winnipeg - EDMONTON
Riders vs Hamilton - RIDERS BY 6 (12 if ST have a strong game.)

Hi Dave:
You have me at 2 - 2 for week 4 but I actually went 3 - 1.
Thanks

Calgary
BC
Winnipeg
Hamilton

Calgary @ Ottawa - Ott
Toronto @ B.C. - To
Winnipeg @ Edmonton - Win
Hamilton @ Saskatchewan - Sask

Stampeders
Lions
Eskimos
Tiger-Cats

Picking for Mr. 2nd Place.......Boss99

Stampeders
Lions
Eskimos
Tiger-Cats

Yet another 2 and 2 week. I really might as well go with a coin flip. But at least I'm getting a good aggregate, with almost all my misses being close games.

My picks for week 5:

Calgary @ Ottawa - The RedBlacks seem to be sliding, although Burris and Sinopoli might have a bit of incentive to play well this week against their old team. (OK, not so recent for Burris.) The Stamps aren't looking like the powerhouse they were last year, but Cornish is starting to play well even with all those injuries on the line.

Toronto @ B.C. - I really wish the Argos weren't playing as well as they are. The Lions, on the other hand, may have won two games, but they were both against the Riders. Still not sure what that means, but I'm giving this one to the Argos.

Winnipeg @ Edmonton - The Bombers have been in a few close games, but there was that one bombing that makes me think they're just not ready. But neither are the Eskimos, as the only team they've beaten so far is the RedBlacks. Probably a close one here.

Hamilton @ Saskatchewan - The Ticats hurt the Bombers, and came close to winning both their other games - against a couple of good teams away from home. The Riders have been in every game they've played, and are a lot better than their record indicates. I expect this one to come down to the last possession, and perhaps going into overtime. Unfortunately, home field will make the difference here.

Since I am doing so poorly this year, I am going to start picking the opposite team to win!

Calgary @ Ottawa - totally see the Stamps in a lock here, but what do I know!
Toronto @ B.C.
Winnipeg @ Edmonton
Hamilton @ Saskatchewan - again, bizzaro pick here! Riders' D needs to start making stops (or, just tackles...). I think Hamilton is more complete, though...but I know nothing obviously, so Riders' win!