Virtual Grey Cup Challenge, Week 4

Okay, everything is back to normal now. The standings are posted here and you’ll see that all the extra stuff that was not displayed last week has returned. The Streak/Last 5/Last 10 stats now count your picks, not actual games. Not only is it easier to do that way, but I wanted to make that change for a while; I just didn’t really feel like doing the major modifications it would require. Building it from scratch allowed me to do that. I also noticed that, when publishing it to the web, the new one is easier to format, so that’s another plus.

Anyway, here are the games for Week 4:
Hamilton @ Montreal
Toronto @ Winnipeg
Calgary @ B.C.
Edmonton @ Saskatchewan

You can join in at any time. Pick the teams you think will win in a reply to this thread. You can elaborate if you want, but please make it easy for me to see at a glance which teams you are picking to win.
Picks MUST be made PRIOR to the scheduled kickoff in order to be considered for a game.
To change your pick prior to a game’s scheduled kickoff, POST ANOTHER REPLY to the same thread. Please don’t EDIT your picks once you have made them.
You can view a more complete list of all the rules here.

Good luck!

4-0! Woo-hoo! It's been a while since I've done that (I don't think I accomplished that at all last season, though how long it's actually been, I don't know. :frowning: ) I'm back among the pack now.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand.

Hamilton @ Montreal: I love my Ticats, and though I don't need a reason to, this year they're giving me one. After wins against B.C. and Winnipeg, I think they've proven they're a pretty good team. Unfortunately, "pretty good" won't cut it at Molson Stadium. No one can deny that Montreal is far and away the best team in the league right now, and they have no doubt been aching to get their hands on an Eastern opponent after cutting a swath through the Western Division. The Ticats can still turn some heads if they keep this game respectable. Because the Cats are on a bit of a roll, and because I have confidence in them, Als by 12.

Toronto @ Winnipeg: For years the Argos have relied on two things to get them wins: defence and special teams. Their offence has been terrible, with nothing that even resembled a running game despite bringing in guys like Ricky Williams and John Avery. Finally, for the first time since Pinball retired, they have a good ground game. Jamal Robertson is fun to watch (or would be, if I weren't a Ticat fan.) Now all they need is a quarterback, some pass protection, and more than one receiver and their offence would be set. Of course, now their defence stinks and their special teams are a non-entity. In Winnipeg, I'm still not impressed with LeFors. I think they need to find a quarterback who can get the ball to their outstanding receivers, as their offence was unable to find the end zone against Hamilton. However, their defence is SOLID! Bombers by 9.

Calgary @ B.C.: Two teams who have put together a string of good seasons, who have inexplicably under-achieved this season, and who are coming off their first wins of 2009 -- dominating victories over admittedly two of the league's lesser teams. After this game, one will get their record back to par, the other will have some catching up to do. B.C. needs to find a starting quarterback: right now they have two backups in Buck Pierce and Jarius Jackson. It's a good strategy to start one and, if he's ineffective, put in the other, whose contrasting style can throw the defence off-balance, the way Hamilton did against Winnipeg. But Wally Buono seems reluctant to switch QBs like that. They did lose a couple of offensive linemen and two-time Outstanding Defensive Player Cam Wake in the off-season; but in the past they always seemed to replace good players with other good players without missing a step. In Calgary, Henry Burris seemed to find his rhythm against the Argos, but it was the Stamps' defence that won that game. No touchdowns allowed, while scoring three? That's insane! Tough to call, but there isn't often a home-team sweep, and I think this is the one that will be taken by the visitors. Stamps by 4.

Edmonton @ Saskatchewan: This one should be fun to watch...if you're a Rider fan. Edmonton has looked terrible in their two losses, and didn't look all that hot in their lone victory, either. Without a doubt coaching decisions have cost them points, and everyone knew Richie Hall would make mistakes in his rookie year. But even in previous losing seasons, Ricky Ray has always seemed to look sharp; which he doesn't now. They have no running game, as their marquee free agent signing sits on the sidelines until after Labour Day, and their best replacement stands on the sidelines watching the rookie import drop touchdown passes and fumble. Saskatchewan, on the other hand, came up against the irresistible force last week. I feel sorry for the Rider fans who not only had to watch their team get pummelled, but had to witness Anthony Calvillo tying Ron Lancaster's mark of 333 touchdown passes on a day in which they were honouring the Lancaster-led teams from the '60s. Those fans are going to be howling mad when the Eskimos come to town, and I wouldn't want to be a visitor at Mosaic Stadium. Riders by 15.

Hamilton @ Montreal: Hey, why not? i think the cats just need to keep this one close, that would be a huge plus considering everyteam has been blown out by them and its IN montreal, but i never pick against my team so im going with the upset. The 2-1 TiCats(man that feels good) by 4.

Toronto @ Winnipeg: this one will be pretty low scoring, unless there's alot of defensive TD's. i think Winnipeg has the better defence and of course they'll have home-field advantage. Winnipeg by 10.

Calgary @ B.C: The stamps were finally looking like defending grey cup champs last week, i think they carry that momentum into this week, Buck Pierce gets pulled for Jarious Jackson at the half and makes up some ground but the hole is too deep. Stamps by 7

Edmonton @ Saskatchewan: not much to say here, a team that has looked very bad against a team that has looked very good, not to mention the home-field advantage the riders will have. Sask by 17

Montreal
Toronto
Calgary
Saskatchewan

0-4 last week.. ouch!

My picks for this week:
Montreal
Toronto
BC
Saskatchewan

Are the Esk's going to go 1-7 in the standings? cause that's where I'm sitting. Go with the odds, against the odds or just pick em.
I'm pickin em all backwards. Anyways, kudos to Big "Bad" Dave.

Hamilton @ Montreal.....MONTREAL
Toronto @ Winnipeg.....WINNIPEG
Calgary @ B.C. ....B.C. LIONS
Edmonton @ Sask. .....EDMONTON

I'm getting owned this season :oops:

Montreal way over Hamilton :stuck_out_tongue:
Winnipeg over Toronto
Calgary over B.C.
Saskatchewan over Edmonton

Hamilton @ Montreal
Toronto @ Winnipeg
Calgary @ B.C.
Edmonton @ Saskatchewan

Let's try for a 4-0 week.

Hamilton at Montreal.
The Als have scored an average of 44 points (rounding) a game while allowing an average of 18; they average 433 net yards offensively while allowing an average of 278 defensively.The comparative numbers for Hamilton are:23,23, 370 and 359.
Montreal to win by at least 15.

Toronto at Winnipeg.
Season will be long in Winnipeg. Lefors has completed only 44.2% of his passes and has a rating of 65.3. Worst QB in the league. Worst offence in the league,averaging 273 net yards of offense per game; giving an average of 385 defensively.
If Toronto can exclude their stupid penalties and give-aways,they will be competitive.
Toronto to win by at least 6.

Calgary at BC.
Should be the closest game of the week. The first 2 losses of the season have awaken them,particularly Burris.
Calgary to win by 4.

Edmonton at Sask.
Edmonton could easily be 0-3. Worst defense in the league. Giving an average of 408 net yards defensively. Have scored an average ot 19 points while giving an average of 36. Could be a coaching change sooner than later. Loyld has 10 defensive tackles after 3 games; why work hard,since he has already been paid in lump sum/bonus payment. Shabazz, whom Danny "boy" traded for Kai Ellis, has already 18 defensive tackles,2 int,returned for TDs.
Sask.would have a chance to be in Grey Cup with a good QB; not with Durant.
Sask.to win by 9.

Have a nice week.

Richard

While I see signs of improvement with the Ti-Cats, I don't see them beating the Als!
Hard to pick between two very bad teams but Argos have the better QB.
Calgary is getting fired up and will narrowly beat BC.
I see the Riders rebounding from this weekend and taking the Eskies who haven't found their feet yet.

Thanks BD!

CFL in Ottawa in 2012

Hamilton @ Montreal
Toronto @ Winnipeg
Calgary @ B.C.
Edmonton @ Saskatchewan

Montreal
Winnipeg
Calgary
Sask.

Hamilton @ Montreal
Toronto @ Winnipeg
Calgary @ B.C.
Edmonton @ Saskatchewan

I finally snapped my Ticat jinx so hopefully I am now on my way back to the top.

The following picks to win:

Calgary
Montreal
Winnipeg
Saskatchewan

Stamps
Alouettes
Blue Bombers
Roughriders

Hamilton @ Montreal
Hamilton looks like a good team this year. Montreal is just better. It might not be a rout like the other Als' games this year.. or it might be. Either way, I have a hard time seeing Hamilton beating Montreal.

Toronto @ Winnipeg
I have confidence LeFors will figure it out eventually. But even if it's not this week, the defense is good enough to win a low scoring game.

Calgary @ B.C.
It looks like Calgary is starting to play like the defending champs now. Probably going to be a close one, but I'll take the Stamps.

Edmonton @ Saskatchewan
The Riders are a better team and they're at home with probably the best crowd in the league behind them.. this one might get ugly.

Montreal
Toronto
Calgary
Saskatchewan

Montreal
Toronto
Calgary
Edmonton

MONTREAL
WINNIPEG
CALGARY
SASKATCHEWAN

Another stellar 1-3 week. I'm playing like an Argo. it aint easy cheering for the Double Blue, but old habits die hard.
Anyway, sooner or later its gotta get better.
I will try Montreal, Toronto, Calgary and Saskatchewan.