Virtual Grey Cup Challenge, Week 19

Here we are: the final week of the regular season. Where does the time go? The top 8 will qualify for the post-season, which means there will likely be some upsets predicted by those close to qualifying.

The standings are posted here.

Here are the rules, in a nutshell:
Each week I will start a thread, like this one, listing the games being played that week.
To join in, just start making picks. You can join in at any time, but the later you join the harder it will be to catch up.
To make your picks, reply to the thread, stating which teams you think will win. You can elaborate or pontificate all you want, but the predicted winners must be obvious at a glance.
In order to be accepted, your post must be made prior to the scheduled kickoff. No exceptions for any reason.
If you want to change your pick prior to game time, post another reply. DO NOT change your original post.
At the end of the week, the standings will be posted. Rankings are based on the number of correct picks, followed by the aggregate spread (point spread of games picked correctly minus point spread of games picked incorrectly), followed by the percentage of correct picks.
At the end of the season, the top 8 participants will qualify to make picks for the post-season.

These are the games for Week 19:
Montreal @ Toronto
Calgary @ B.C.
Hamilton @ Winnipeg
Edmonton @ Saskatchewan

Good luck!

All the playoff positions have been determined, so the teams really have nothing to play for this week. There will be some players sitting out among the six playoff teams; and Edmonton and Winnipeg may want to get a look at some players in preparation for next season. So, even though this week should be the easiest to pick, it may turn out to be the hardest.

I've moved up to 17th now; not bad considering about a month ago I was around #53. (I've got to stop digging myself into a hole and trying to dig my way out of it.) I'll make my picks now, but if changing my picks gives me a shot at a playoff spot, I'll make some changes. Otherwise, I'm sticking with these.

Montreal @ Toronto: No Ricky Ray, but Collaros played pretty well in his absence. The Argos also proved they can win without Owens, so him sitting out won't matter. Troy Smith has played well in his first two starts, but the Als split those games against Hamilton. The Argos are just a so-so team at home, but are 6-3 against the East, and 2-1 against the Als. who are not good on the road. Argos by 4.

Calgary @ B.C.: B.C. has just ended a 3-game losing streak, and are 7-1 at home; but Calgary is 6-2 on the road and is on a 5-game winning streak. Calgary leads the series 2 games to 1, and B.C. is still without their starting QB. A bit of a QB controversy in Calgary last week when Drew Tate stepped in and beat Saskatchewan. If Calgary decides to sit their #1 QB, which one plays? Either is probably capable of beating the Lulay-less Lions. Stamps by 5.

Hamilton @ Winnipeg: Hamilton is 3-0 against the Bombers, and a 4-game sweep is hard to manage. Winnipeg is playing for pride and jobs now, but realistically that's been the case for the past month or so, and that hasn't helped them win many games. Will Burris play? Based on his sub-par performance the last two weeks, sitting him out doesn't seem likely, as he'll need to get his groove back before the playoffs. Hamilton is only 3-5 on the road, but that's way better than Winnipeg's 1-7 record at home. Going with the better team here. Hamilton by 11.

Edmonton @ Saskatchewan: The Riders got off to such a hot start this season, that I doubt many thought they'd be struggling so much down the stretch. After Labour Day they lost to Winnipeg, B.C., Toronto, Montreal, and Calgary, with just a win against lowly Edmonton and two against struggling B.C. to break the monotony. But they've only lost two games at home this year, which matches the number of wins Edmonton has on the road. Saskatchewan won all three games against Edmonton so far, and I don't see that changing. Riders by 3.

My picks for week 19 are:

Montreal over Toronto
Calgary over BC
Hamilton over Winnipeg
Saskatchewan over Edmonton

Thank you

Richard

Much like the FG return by Hamilton leading to a game winning touchdown, a perfect 4-0 week aided in part from an unexpected miscue by a top 8 player has propelled me into a playoff position. It will be tricky this week, every team's position in the standings is set leading to potential upsets, unlike the VGCC where positions are still up for grabs, and the trick will be to manage the picks to keep potential others from leap-frogging me. So for the first time picks by me may now be altered before game time not on the basis of who I think will win but the best chance of holding my spot in the standings...

Toronto - They've playing second stringers most of the year and winning, so for Montreal, it's pick your poison.

Calgary - Buck Pierce gave the Lions some hope and life, but Calgary has three number 1 QBs in their rotation, making them pretty tough to beat...

Hamilton - Even with this being meaningless, they're still playing Winnipeg, a team still being coached by Burke.

Saskatchewan - The Riders have looked awful the second half of the season, but it's hard to bet with Edmonton...

Montreal @ Toronto
Calgary @ B.C.
Hamilton @ Winnipeg
Edmonton @ Saskatchewan

I may change my picks later in the week after we hear which players are resting. I must say though - it pains me to pass Billy because my Riders lost to the Stamps.

Argos
Stamps
Ti-Cats
Riders

I am well back, but it was actually fun this year... thanks, Big Dave! My picks for week 19:

Montreal
BC
Winnipeg
Saskatchewan

Toronto
Calgary
Winnipeg
Edmonton

Wow, a few bad weeks have put me out of contention, so I am going to try and pick all under dogs, and I don't even think that will help me, but I'll give it a go!

Montreal @ Toronto
Calgary @ B.C.
Hamilton @ Winnipeg
Edmonton @ Saskatchewan

Toronto
Calgary
Winnipeg
Saskatchewan

Doesn’t look like ill be making playoffs so this is my final selections for picks but as always thank you big Dave it’s always a fun time doing this, Cheers.

Montreal @ Toronto
Calgary @ B.C.
Hamilton @ Winnipeg
Edmonton @ Saskatchewan

Montreal over Toronto ... I believe the Als will play full speed, wanting to continue to get Smith in a groove. Toronto couldn't care less. And quite honestly ... why should they. They're hoping that Hamilton & Montreal beat the hell out of each other in the EDSF! They'd better hope so since Montreal AND Hamilton are bad match-ups for them in the EDF!

Calgary @ B.C. I'll take BC. They're at home. The Stamps are phoning this one in. Who really cares. Lions win.

Hamilton @ Winnipeg. This is a tough one. I realize Hamilton wants to rest some guys but also get a game in for others that are coming off the IR. Bombers playing for pride or a blue plate special at the Salsbury House! Who knows! I'll take the TiCat backups & reserves & returnees over the St. Vital Mustangs or St. Boniface Warriors or Fort Garry Lions or Transcona Nationals!

Edmonton @ Saskatchewan. I'll take the Riders as they take their frustration over losing last week out upon Edmonton.

WOO-HOO! A perfect week kept me in the running. In fact, I moved up a couple of spots, leaving me only one game behind the lead. Fingers crossed that there aren't too many upsets this week, with the playoff teams resting key players, and the bottom two continuing their pre-season mode.

My picks for week 19:

Montreal @ Toronto - The Argos have the bye in the first round, so will probably play many of their starters, at least for part of the game, to prevent the rust from settling. The Als will probably go with Smith for the whole game to give him more reps in preparation for the playoffs. Could be the only real game of the week, but the Argos should take it.

Calgary @ B.C. - Same argument here for the Stamps, with them playing their starters. But the Lions will probably be resting their key starters, although will probably give their starters a quarter or more. The Stamps will not want to go into the playoffs with a loss, and when they don't want to lose, they usually don't.

Hamilton @ Winnipeg - Who knows which QB's will play for the Ticats? They might even find a way to activate McGee for the game. I could make the same comment about the Bombers, but does that even matter?

Edmonton @ Saskatchewan - I expect Sheets to get the ball on almost every Riders play so he can take the top RB spot. I also expect Reilly to be hit a lot. But this one could be the closest game of them all, and could be the make-or-break game for the VGCC playoffs.

So I can still make the playoffs with a perfect week and a couple people going 0 for.........one can dream.

Montreal @ Toronto - I don't take the Argo's at home but their B squad has been better than the Als this year
Calgary @ B.C. - BC at home
Hamilton @ Winnipeg - Cats B team against Bombers starters is still a mismatch
Edmonton @ Saskatchewan - see above

T.O.
B.C.
Wpg.
Edm.

For Week 19;
Toronto
Calgary
Hamilton
Saskatchewan

Thanks BigDave!

Montreal @ Toronto - Montreal
Calgary @ B.C. - BC
Hamilton @ Winnipeg - Ham
Edmonton @ Saskatchewan - Sask

Toronto
Calgary
Hamilton
Saskatchewan

Argos
Lions
Ti-Cats
Roughriders

Toronto
Calgary
Winnipeg
Edmonton

Thanks for all the work Dave!

1. :twisted: Toronto :twisted: 2) :cowboy: Calgary :cowboy: 3) :P Hamilton :P 4) :rockin: Saskatchewan :rockin: