Virtual Grey Cup Challenge, Week 18

We didn't do so well as a group last week; a couple of surprises hurt most people's numbers. Fortunately for most people, though, since everyone else was equally surprised, I don't think many people dropped too far down the standings. The standings are posted here.

Here are the games for Week 18:
Montreal @ Toronto
Hamilton @ Calgary
Winnipeg @ Edmonton
Saskatchewan @ B.C.

To join in, just start making picks. You can join in at any time, though at this point new participants will not be able to catch up to qualify for the post-season.

To make your picks, reply to this post with your predicted winners. This is a straight-up win/loss pool; point spreads are not taken into account.

To be considered for any game, your pick for that game must be made PRIOR to the scheduled kickoff time. Even if your pick is made one minute late, or the kickoff is delayed, if it's after the scheduled kickoff time, it's late. No exceptions.

To change your picks, post another reply to the thread. Do NOT edit your original post. I may miss the change, or you may invalidate your picks.

While you're free to elaborate on your picks, your predicted winner must be clear at a glance. I don't want to have to read through a five-hundred word essay to figure out which team you're picking. More accurately, I won't.

Conditional picks are not allowed. That is, there is no "Winnipeg if Pierce plays, Edmonton if he doesn't." If you make a conditional pick, I will accept the first team named as your pick.

The complete rules are posted here.

Still tied for second, just one game out of first now. Here goes:

Montreal @ Toronto: Montreal has got to be fuming after being humiliated by the Ticats. I wouldn't want to be a fan of the team that has to face them next. But even if they play the way they did against Hamilton, the Als should have no trouble shutting down the Argos' non-existent offence. And you're not going to beat Montreal with kick returns. Als by 19.

Hamilton @ Calgary: Hamilton is the hottest team in the CFL right now. They've won their last three games by a combined score of 106-17, and haven't allowed a touchdown in 150 minutes, 22 seconds. Calgary has lost 4 of their last 6 games, and is as cold as winter in, well, Calgary. The last time these two teams met, the Stamps were the best team in the CFL and snuck out of Ivor Wynne with a 1-point victory over a strugging Ticat team. Now the tables have been turned. Hot meets cold leads me to one conclusion: Cats by 4.

Winnipeg @ Edmonton: Winnipeg has nothing to play for now but pride, and teams like that can be dangerous. But with all their quarterbacks injured, there isn't much they can do. Edmonton has been sharp lately, winning four of their last five games, and is still fighting for a post-season berth. We now know that either Ray or Zabransky can get the job done, and Edmonton wants it more. Esks by 9.

Saskatchewan @ B.C.: Saskatchewan's losing streak has to end eventually, and where better than in B.C.? The Lions, like the Esks, are fighting for that last playoff spot, and if Edmonton wins, they'll need to win this to keep pace. B.C.'s 2-6 record at home is ridiculous. With the animosity between these two teams in the past few years, Saskatchewan will take great pleasure in knocking the Lions out of the playoffs. Riders by 6.

Toronto
Calgary
Edmonton
BC

Montreal
Hamilton
Edmonton
B.C.

Week 18;

Montreal at Toronto - MONTREAL
Hamilton at Calgary - CALGARY
Winnipeg at Edmonton - EDMONTON
Saskatchewan at B.C.Lions - SASKATCHEWAN

Montreal
Hamilton
Edmonton
Saskatchewan

Yikes! 0-4 this week, dropping me from 4th to 10th, I think this my first complete miss in over a year. Obviously the end of the year games are as hard to predict as the first couple of games. Well time to shake things up.

Toronto - Montreal should win, it's the better team, but last week's beating at the hands of Hamilton, seemed to expose some cracks, and Toronto's defense is almost as good as Hamilton's. Added to the fact that Montreal has nothing to play for, adds up to an ugly Toronto win.

Hamilton - Calgary has been on a real slide of late and no longer looks invincible at home, while Hamilton, with the addition of Stevie Baggs has really started to roll. This could get ugly.

Edmonton - While Edmonton is on their second stringer, Winnipeg is on their fourth, and looks like a team that's given up. This could get really ugly.

B.C. - Yeah, I'm picking B.C., whatever mojo Saskatchewan had seems to be gone. The Riders might not win another game the rest of the season. But hey, watermelon hats are really ugly.

Montreal
Hamilton
Edmonton
BC

Montreal @ Toronto
Hamilton @ Calgary
Winnipeg @ Edmonton
Saskatchewan @ B.C.

I might change my picks before the week is out, depending on if any teams plan to rest starters.

Montreal - Montreal will bounce back in a big way
Calgary - Home town advantage does it
Winnipeg - Close game here, Deadmonton chokes and blows it
B.C. - End off the season at home with a win

Montreal
Hamilton
Edmonton
Saskatchewan

Montreal
Hamilton
Edmonton
Saskatchewan