Virtual Grey Cup Challenge, Week 1

The CFL is back, and so is the VGCC!

Last year's final standings are still posted here.

The CFL had a slew of rule changes this year, but we only have two. First of all, new participants are no longer accepted after Labour Day Weekend. And second, at the end of the season, the top eight still qualify for the post-season. But this year, anyone who performed better than the VGCC World also qualifies as a wild-card. However, after the Divisional Semi-finals, only the top four qualify for the Divisional Finals.
The complete rules are posted here.
Here is a summary of how the game is played.
To join in, start making picks.
Each week, reply to the VGCC thread with your picks for the winners.
If you elaborate, make your picks clear at a glance.
Picks must be in PRIOR TO the SCHEDULED KICKOFF TIME in order to qualify for that game.
To change your picks, post a new reply to the thread. Editing your original thread may invalidate all your picks.
At the end of each week, participants will be ranked based on the number of correct picks, followed by most perfect weeks, then highest aggregate spread (the total of the point spreads of all games picked correctly MINUS the total of the point spreads of all games picked incorrectly), and lastly highest percentage correct. Ties will be broken according to participants' peformance in the most recent week.

Now on to Week 1. B.C. has the bye this week.
Ottawa @ Montreal
Hamilton @ Calgary
Edmonton @ Toronto
Winnipeg @ Saskatchewan

Good luck!

Been waiting for this. I get to be first in picking, but probably not first in results :lol:

Mont.
Ham.
Edm.
Winn.

Thanks Dave

The first couple of weeks are usually the hardest. It's hard to gauge how good the teams are when they've spent the last couple of weeks playing guys who are now bagging groceries. But here goes my attempt.

Ottawa @ Montreal: As with most week one picks, this pick is based largely on these teams' standings last season, and the result of the preseason game between these two. Has Ottawa improved enough to go into Montreal and come out with a W? I doubt it. Als by 9.

Hamilton @ Calgary: Obviously, this isn't the outcome I'm hoping for. Hamilton has so many key players either injured or nicked that I doubt they can pull this out. Plus, the Ticats rarely win Game 1. Stamps by 4.

Edmonton @ Toronto: I just think Edmonton is the better team. Toronto is likely to lose a bunch of games before Ray comes back. Esks by 8.

Winnipeg @ Saskatchewan: Even though the Bombers missed the playoffs last year, I might have chosen differently if not for Winnipeg's sad performance in pre-season. Riders by 3.

Ottawa
Calgary
Toronto
Saskatchewan

Go Redblacks Go!

Ottawa :rockin:
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatchewan

Thanks BD! :smiley:

Hope I do better than last year :roll:

And it begins anew! Thanks for another year of Virtual Grey Cup! :smiley:

Ottawa @ Montreal
Hamilton @ Calgary
Edmonton @ Toronto
Winnipeg @ Saskatchewan

Montreal vs Ottawa - MONTREAL
Calgary vs Hamilton - CALGARY
Toronto vs Edmonton - EDMONTON
Riders vs Winnipeg - SASKATCHEWAN

Woo Hoo! Football! Yea! ('Bout freakin' time. Been a long winter.)

Here are my picks for week 1:

Ottawa @ Montreal - The RedBlacks looked brutal in both of their games. So while the Als didn't look that great, they should still be able to win this one.

Hamilton @ Calgary - While I'd like to say the Ticats will win this one, they just have a few too many key players missing. Again. The Stamps are, well, the Stamps. Probably not quite as dominant as last year, but still good.

Edmonton @ Toronto - The Eskimos have at least one starting QB, something the Argos can't say.

Winnipeg @ Saskatchewan - The Riders are probably going to be strong again this year (and have a viable backup in case Durant gets injured again). The Bombers are in a rebuilding decade, and I don't see them being contender at all this year.

Redblacks
Ticats
Eskimos
Bombers

Thanks Big Dave. Look forward to another season of VGCC.

Montreal
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatchewan

Glad to see you back Big Dave, was getting worried the past couple of days. Was thinking that if I didn't see you by Tues I'd start the game myself but once again you come through like the team player that you are. :wink:

Montreal
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatchewan

Ottawa @ Montreal - Rout of the week. Montreal wears them down to win by a bunch.
Hamilton @ Calgary - Kent Austin's teams are never ready for week 1 (or week 2 or 3 or 4 for that matter). Stamps are best team in the league and take this one fairly easily.
Edmonton @ Toronto - Edmonton is just a better team especially on defense. Take the Esks by a couple of scores.
Winnipeg @ Saskatchewan - Very tough game to call. I really like Winnipeg but Sask definitely has the better defense. Riders are at home, that could be the edge. Green and white by less than a TD.

My picks for week 1:

Montreal
Calgary
Toronto
Saskatchewan

Wow, a 39th place finish last year. Nothing to write home about, but considering how far down I was at one point with my slow start to make the top 40 with a winning record represented a significant mid-season turn around. Now hopefully a better start this year will allow me a chance to return to the playoffs again…

The first two weeks are always a crapshoot, so as usually no commentary with the picks…

Montreal

Calgary

Edmonton

Saskatchewan

Saskatchewan, Edmonton, Calgary ,Montreal.
Hats off to you Big Dave for doing this thankless task to make our CFL season more interesting and fun!! :cowboy: :rockin: :smiley:

Oh, by the way, Riders will Rule Again!! :rockin: :wink:

Montreal
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatchewan

Montreal
Calgary
Edmonton
Saskatchewan

MtL
CaL
EdM