Virtual Grey Cup Challenge Week 1

Hey! A response to one of my posts! What I meant my Ausie pal was that the Riders would carry on with their late season success. Hope your BB's do better than last year (same for my Gades) but... :wink:

Montreal
Edmonton
Saskatchewan
Toronto

We're off to a pretty good start here: sixteen participants, and the season is still nearly two weeks away. I was going to wait until a bit longer before making my picks, just to see who does what in the pre-season. But I'd hate to forget and be late...that BigDave is a real stickler when it comes to deadlines. :wink:

Hamilton @ Montreal: I'm a bit surprised to see that so far six people have picked Hamilton; but even more surprised that I'm not one of them. Montreal usually comes out to a quick start, slows down around Labour Day, and tanks sometime in October. Hamilton will probably take a few weeks to gel into a team that can compete with the likes of the Als. It pains me to say it, but I gotta go with Montreal in this game; though the score may be closer than some think.
Ottawa @ Edmonton: Edmonton is a bit of an unknown, with a new coach and a new quarterback. That would normally make this a hard pick, except that Ottawa is not an unknown. The only real change they made is their owner, and unless Bernie is suiting up for this game, I'm expecting to see pretty much the same from the Renegades as I saw last year. Edmonton, and depending on Ricky Ray's performance, it could get ugly.
B.C. @ Toronto: The last two teams to play last year, in the first week of the new season. Not a lot of changes on either team, meaning this is likely the game to watch this week. Toronto won the Grey Cup last year thanks to Damon Allen and the Argo O playing way over their heads. I don't expect to see that in this game. Probably a low-scoring game, due to the Argos' exceptional defence and anaemic offence, with the Lions coming out on top.
Winnipeg @ Saskatchewan: This is a hard one to call, because even last year, when the Riders were the better team, they couldn't beat the Bombers even once. I lost a lot of potential points last season because of these two teams, both playing like crap when I picked them to win, and shocking everyone when I picked them to lose. No matter which team I pick, I'll probably be wrong, but I'll pick Saskatchewan anyway.

Summary: Montreal over Hamilton, Edmonton over Ottawa, B.C. over Toronto, Saskatchewan over Winnipeg.

BigDave,

If we make our picks early can we change them (before the first kickoff time)?

Yup.
As long as any changes are posted here prior to the scheduled kickoff time for that game, I'll accept it.

For example I tentatively picked Saskatchewan to beat Winnipeg; but if Nealon Greene breaks his leg again on Sunday, I'm changing my pick.

Just for the record …I picked OTTAWA over Edmonton , before RAY went down. :lol:

Hamilton
Edmonton
Toronto
Winnipeg

Welcome back Big Dave, I have canged my handle from last years forum, formerly BVB. Barring any major injuries, here are my picks.

Hello everybody!

BigDave, thx for your work on this, greatly appreciated.

Predictions:
Montreal (come on, if there is one gimme in the season, it has to be this one)
Edmonton (even though Ricky Ray got injured)
B.C. (wouldn't be surprised if Toronto wins, but...)
Saskatchewan (Peg doesn't look good at all)

Montreal
Edmonton
Toronto
Sask

Thanks Big D!

Okay, here it goes. I watched you guys pick 'em most of last year, so I'll throw my hat in this year. I didn't keep track of my own picks last year, but I was more or less average.

Montreal over Hamilton. Just can't see it any other way.
Ottawa over Edmonton. There's almost always one surprise, and I think this will be it. And not just cuz RR is injured.
BC over Toronto. Should be close, but maybe not. I think Toronto winning was just good luck (ie, they played well at the right time), and I don't think they'll do as well this year.
Saskatchewan over Winnipeg. Not just cuz they're my favorites, but that never hurts. Still, I'm always worried about Winnipeg, especially after last year.

So there you have it. Montreal, Ottawa, BC and Sask. Good luck to y'all!

Hello everyone :slight_smile: Well I can't wait for the season to start and for Week 1 of the 2005 season I shall be picking..
Montreal over Hamilton - Hard to see Hamilton winning this one but you never know..
Edmonton over Ottawa - Depends if Ricky plays and does a good job but I'll still be going with Edmonton..If ray plays or doesn't
BC over Toronto - BC wants revenge on the lost by Toronto at the Grey Cup last year and I have a feeling BC will get it
Winnipeg over Saskatchewan - I WILL BE PICKING THE BOMBERS EVERY SINGLE TIME NO MATTER WHAT TEAM THEY PLAY THIS SEASON - If we win that would be great but if we lose...Oh well, the season will move on and I believe in my bombers and yes I know I'm crazy
So overall, my picks for Week 1 are Montreal, Edmonton, BC and Winnipeg..Also, Good luck to everyone else and lets hope hope that this season will be a great one!

mont over ham
edm over ott
b.c. over t.o
sask over winn

will be close games , with the stars making there presence felt .....pre season is over :twisted:

dude…the guy’s got a day job…be happy he’s doing this for you…kids… :wink:

Als by 17
Esks by 6 (no, i kid you not)
tuff, Argos by 7
tuffer, sask by 6

Can we pleeeease kick off?????

Okay, we're up to 23 participants so far (6 more than the first week last season.) But there are still some outspoken members of this forum, including some who did well last year, that have yet to chime in. Bamboo? Third&Ten? Where are you? :frowning:

Just trying to keep this thread near the top, really. :mrgreen:

Well, I was waiting for the second preseason games to be played, just in case some key player went down. But if some other posters already went for it, why would I wait...

- Montreal over Hamilton by 12 (Montreal just never lost its season opener since the team reappeared).

- Edmonton over Ottawa by 15 (I don't think Ottawa will struggle as much as we'd be tempted to believe, but there are just too few weaknesses in Edmonton for me to predict otherwise).

- BC over Toronto by... hmmm.. 7? (The Argos may be the Grey Cup champs, but their offence wasn't impressive at all last year and they haven't added anything there. However, they do have the best special teams in the league and a more than decent defence. Might be close.)

- Winnipeg over Saskatchewan by 1! (Let's make this clear: I strongly believe Saskatchewan is the better team of the two. But it seems like the football Gods love to see the Riders lose dramatically to their nemesis. I may not pick Wininpeg too often this year, but this one tempts me.)

Montreal
Edmonchuck
T.O.
Saskatchewan

Ok, here goes.

Montreal over Hamiltion. They will not lose at home.
Edmonton over Ottawa. Same goes for Edmonton.
BC over Toronto. Revenge factor, plus an explosive offense.
Saskatchewan over Winnipeg. Revenge for losing all 3 games last year to a weak team.

I would like to wish everyone a little bit of Good Luck, but not too much!

Dys...

Montreal
Saskatchewan
BC (Close Game)
Edmonton

Montreal
Edmonton
BC
Saskatchewan