Virtual Grey Cup Challenge, Week 1

Well, the pre-season is now over, which means it's time to start the Virtual Grey Cup Challenge, 2014 edition.

The rules are pretty simple. Here's a brief synopsis:

To join in, just start making picks.
To make picks, post a reply to this thread, stating which teams you think will win this week's games. You are encouraged to elaborate, or to give spreads, but only the predicted winners will be counted.
If you elaborate, your picks must be clear to me at a glance. I will not read a hundred posts of a thousand words each. If I have to read through an epic post to get your picks, I won't.
No conditional picks. If you make a conditional pick, the first team named is your pick. If you say, for example, "Edmonton if it's raining, B.C. if it's sunny", you've just picked Edmonton, rain or shine.
To be counted for a game, your pick must be in prior to the scheduled kickoff time. If the game is scheduled for 7:00pm, then a post made at 7:01 will be considered late for that game, no exceptions and no excuses.
If you want to change your pick, post a reply to the thread, stating that you want to make a change. Do not edit your original post. Changes, like picks, must be made prior to the scheduled kickoff time.
At the end of the week, participants will be ranked based on total correct picks. Ties will be broken by perfect weeks, followed by aggregate spread (the total point spreads of all games picked correctly minus the total point spreads of all games picked incorrectly), and lastly by percent correct. Note that this is slightly different from last year.
In the event of a dispute, my word is final.

Here are the games for Week 1:
Toronto @ Winnipeg
Montreal @ Calgary
Edmonton @ B.C.
Hamilton @ Saskatchewan

Good luck!

Toronto @ Winnipeg: Pains me to say it. No big fan of Coach O’Shea, but my feelings for the Argos are no secret. However, they were the better team last year, and showed in pre-season that they haven’t lost a step. Argos by 11.

Montreal @ Calgary: Troy Smith doesn’t impress me, and no amount of Ochocincos and sons of NFL Hall-of-Famers is going to change that. Calgary lost their best QB when the RedBlacks took Kevin Glenn, but they’re still stocked, and Nik Lewis still looks pretty good. Stamps by 8.

Edmonton @ B.C.: Edmonton is trying to rebuild, and the Lions are a big first step. If Lulay can’t play, B.C. still has a winner at QB in Kevin Glenn. Lions by 5.

Hamilton @ Saskatchewan: Again, pains me to say it. Rematch of last year’s Grey Cup, at the scene of the crime. Despite losing some key players in the off-season, Saskatchewan should be able to repeat the outcome against Hamilton’s unproven QB and a team that is still in the process of improving. Because I’m a homer, Riders by 1.

Hey Dave, great to see the game back up again this year and all is much appreciated!

Unless someone is posting as I type this I get the honor of making the first (non-Dave) picks.

Toronto
Calgary
BC
Saskatchewan

Toronto @ Winnipeg - Gotta take the Argos here. Ricky Ray picks apart the Bomber D to win by a couple of scores.
Montreal @ Calgary - I like Troy Smith and the Als are on the up, but Calgary is probably still the best team in the league. Stamps at home by about a TD.
Edmonton @ B.C. - This is the toughest pick. Edmonton was a lot better than their record last year and now they are much better coached. But I like BC, especially at home. Lulay or no Lulay, Lions can win this with a special teams edge. Should be a very good game.
Hamilton @ Saskatchewan - Not much change in the matchup here. Riders will still establish a ground game in the first quarter and then exploit the secondary after that. Unless Sask still has a little rust to shake off or gets sloppy with turnovers they should win fairly big.

Week One winners

Argos
Calgary
Lions
Sask.

Toronto
Calgary
B.C.
Saskatchewan

Toronto
Calgary
B.C.
Saskatchewan

Thanks for doing this again BD!

My picks for Week 1:

Toronto
Calgary
BC
Saskatchewan

Toronto, Calgary, B.C., Saskatchewan. :rockin:

-Thanks Big Dave!

Toronto @ Winnipeg; Bombers are a work in progress.
Montreal @ Calgary: Als too.
Edmonton @ B.C.: And Edmonton
Hamilton @ Saskatchewan; Ticats never win the season opener.

Woo-Hoo! The season's finally here! (And I finally get to watch the Ticats on TV.)

My picks for week 1:

Toronto @ Winnipeg - The Argos have lost a few key players, but for the most part should be as strong as they were last year. The Bombers, on the other hand, should have thrown all their players away and begged the league to join Ottawa in the expansion draft.

Montreal @ Calgary - Smith has a strong arm, but it's not very accurate. The Als' receivers are going to be adjusting to the ball a lot - but so will the opposing DBs. I suspect that he'll have a high pick-to-TD ratio, at least early in the season. The Stamps are still the team to beat this year, but will miss Glenn.

Edmonton @ B.C. - The Lions should be carrying on from last year, giving the Stamps a run for first place. And with Glenn at the helm until Lulay is available - and maybe even after? - they'll be doing well. The Eskimos have a couple of good QBs - assuming Nichols makes it through an entire game, that is. he seems to have the worst luck of anyone I've ever seen. I'm thinking this will be a close game, but home field takes it.

Hamilton @ Saskatchewan - Sigh. This is a tough one for me. I'm just not sold on Collaros yet, and the Ticats have a few key injuries on the O-line that'll keep whoever is in at QB running for his life. (Because of that, maybe LeFevour or Masoli should get a lot of reps?) The Riders are missing a lot of key players from last year - have they found a new RB yet? - but Durant should still be able to move the ball fairly well.

Thanks, Big Dave. Always enjoy the VGCC.

Toronto
Calgary
BC
Sask

Toronto
Calgary
B.C.
Saskatchewan

Thanks BD for doing this again this year! Almost a west sweep for me :smiley:

Go Redblacks! :rockin:

Winnipeg
Calgary
B.C.
Saskatchewan

Thanks BD! First picks ever!

Thanks for doing this BD! Going to be at the game in Vancouver. First time at BC Place.

Go RedBlacks!

Swahgade

Bombers....
,,,,Calgary.....
,,,,,,,Edmonton....
,,,,,,,,Saskatchewan

Thanks again Big Dave as always here's to another great season :rockin:

Toronto
Calgary
BC
Saskatchewan

Argos
Stamps
Lions
Riders

Let's defend my championship title last year!

Good luck to all and thanks Big Dave!

Made it to the playoffs last year for the first time ever. Can I repeat? Well the quest for the Cup begins now...

As with every year, the first two weeks tend to be a crap shoot. So here are my picks without commentary...

Toronto

Calgary

B.C.

Hamilton

Cheers! :slight_smile:

Toronto @ Winnipeg
Montreal @ Calgary
Edmonton @ B.C.
Hamilton @ Saskatchewan