Virtual Grey Cup Challenge, Week 1

Note: the Stickies don't seem to be working properly, so until they're fixed, the current week of the VGCC will appear in the Announcements section.

Finally. A long off-season, training camp and pre-season are all over. It's time for the real thing to begin! :rockin:

Here are the rules, in a nutshell:
Each week I will start a thread, like this one, listing the games being played that week.
To join in, just start making picks. You can join in at any time, but the later you join the harder it will be to catch up.
To make your picks, reply to the thread, stating which teams you think will win. You can elaborate or pontificate all you want, but the predicted winners must be obvious at a glance.
In order to be accepted, your post must be made prior to the scheduled kickoff. No exceptions for any reason.
If you want to change your pick prior to game time, post another reply. DO NOT change your original post.
At the end of the week, the standings will be posted. Rankings are based on the number of correct picks, followed by the aggregate spread (point spread of games picked correctly minus point spread of games picked incorrectly), followed by the percentage of correct picks.
At the end of the season, the top 8 participants will qualify to make picks for the post-season.

Okay, without further ado, here are the games for Week 1:
Montreal @ Winnipeg
Hamilton @ Toronto
B.C. @ Calgary
Saskatchewan @ Edmonton

Good luck!

It's hard to make picks in week 1, because a lot of released and practice-roster players have been playing these last two weeks. The smart teams had their starters in last week, to get their timing down and get up to game speed, while everyone else lost 52-0.

Montreal @ Winnipeg: Buck Pierce has yet to complete a pass this year, so he clearly isn't ready for the season. Montreal will spoil the party at the new IG field. Als by 15.

Hamilton @ Toronto: What, you think I'm going to pick Toronto over Hamilton??? Cats by 5.

B.C. @ Calgary: Tough to say. Gotta pick one. Going with the home team. Stamps by 3.

Saskatchewan @ Edmonton: Hard to say. The Riders have always been an enigma, who historically ruin my VGCC rankings. Home field advantage gives Edmonton the edge. Esks by 4.

Ahh, at last, the season and the VGGC can begin! :slight_smile:

Montreal @ Winnipeg
Hamilton @ Toronto
B.C. @ Calgary
Saskatchewan @ Edmonton

Montreal @ Winnipeg
Hamilton @ Toronto
B.C. @ Calgary
Saskatchewan @ Edmonton

Montreal @ Winnipeg - No one picking the Bombers yet so I'll go against the grain. First game in the new stadium, new season they'll upset Montreal.

Hamilton @ Toronto - No brainer, Argos had the worst home record in the league last year.

B.C. @ Calgary - Toss up, I'll take the Lions, they should win the west.

Saskatchewan @ Edmonton - Home teams were 3-1 week one last year so I'm pickin' 'em to go 1-3 this year.

Good luck to everyone this season.

Montreal @ Winnipeg
Hamilton @ Toronto
B.C. @ Calgary
Saskatchewan @ Edmonton

....Winners are'

Bombers
Argos.
Lions
Riders

Thanks for doing this again BigDave.
Montreal
Toronto
BC
Edmonton

Also since I am away on vacation and likely will not have access here is my guess I mean picks for week 2.

Montreal
BC
Saskatchewan
Hamilton

Finally I can start week one, I normally don't get to start till right around labour day. Hoping I can make a run this year!

Montreal @ Winnipeg- Aks should win big in this game. Als 46-10
Hamilton @ Toronto- Hamilton I am hoping to have a good year. They should have been way better than they were last year, just had a porous D. Hoping they figured this thing out. Ham wins 26-24
B.C. @ Calgary- BC didn't look as good as I thought they would in the pre-season. I think COrnish has great game and Calgary takes this one 35-26
Saskatchewan @ Edmonton- Hoping for a good year from Sask, but if history shows us anything, it is that sports teams that try and load up for one run at the trophy, usually fail miserably. Hoping Sask can prove that wrong, Sask wins 30-17.

I'm keeping this short and sweet. The first two weeks are always a toss-up so I'm going to guess at the winners this week as well as pick anyone playing against Winnipeg...

Montreal

Toronto

Calgary

Edmonton

My choices for week 1 of the 2013 regular CFL season are:

Montreal over Winnipeg
Hamilton over Toronto
Calgary over BC
Edmonton over Saskatchewan

Thank you and a great CFL season to all of you.

Richard

Montreal @ Winnipeg

During the pre-game meal, Bombers pivot Buck Pierce is injured while attempting to pass the salt. Pierce's status is listed as day to day. Montreal win.

Hamilton @ Toronto

Last year's version of the Ti-Cat defence couldn't stop an evil thought. Things can only get better in Steel Town. How much better remains to be seen. Toronto win, but it won't be easy.

B.C. @ Calgary

It may be hard for the Stamps to focus on a game right now. No doubt that the players to a man are professionals and will give it their best shot. A victory over the Lions would be something for the city to rally behind and would make a good story, but I think B.C. win this one.

Saskatchewan @ Edmonton

Esks made some significant upgrades in the off season and look like a team on the rise. Some of those upgrades, e.g. at QB, are likely to take a while to show an impact, though. Riders win, but this one has the potential to be entertaining for a while.

I always find the first few weeks of the season to be the most difficult picks. Anyway:

Montreal
Hamilton
Calgary
Saskatchewan

Montreal @ Winnipeg
Hamilton @ Toronto
B.C. @ Calgary
Saskatchewan @ Edmonton

Montreal
Hamilton
B.C.
Saskatchewan

First week's always the toughest. Sometimes best to go with all home team wins, but where's the fun in that?

Montreal @ Winnipeg - Could be a battle of the QBs here, assuming Pierce makes it to the end of the game. Als's OL gives them the edge.

Hamilton @ Toronto - Don't want to lose my fan card, so gotta go with the Ticats. Plus, pretty much same awesome offence as last year, and an aggressive secondary on D should make a decent combination.

B.C. @ Calgary - Toss up here goes to the home team.

Saskatchewan @ Edmonton - Geroy's got something to prove, so will be flying out there.

Winnipeg
Toronto
Calgary
Saskatchewan

Montreal
Hamilton
Calgary
Edmonton

Als vs Bombers - MONTREAL
Cats vs Argos - TORONTO
B.C. vs Stamps - CALGARY
Riders vs Eskies - SASKATCHEWAN