Virtual Grey Cup Challenge, Week 1

Here we are, at the start of another season, and that means the start of another Virtual Grey Cup Challenge.

Here are the games for Week 1:
Montreal @ Hamilton
B.C. @ Calgary
Toronto @ Winnipeg
Edmonton @ Saskatchewan

Everyone is welcome to participate. To join in, just start making picks. Pick the teams you think will win each game as a response to this thread. While discussion is encouraged, please make your picks clear at a glance; I don't want to have to read a 300-word essay to figure out who you think will win each game. Picks must be in before the scheduled kickoff time in order to be considered for any game. You can see a complete list of the rules here.

After the week's games have been played, the standings will be posted here. Right now, you can go there to see last season's final standings.

Okay, I might as well get the ball rolling.

Montreal @ Hamilton: I don't think the Als will be very good this year. Their head coach has no Canadian football experience at all, and all their best players are leaving, retiring, or getting old. Hamilton will be improved, and while I don't expect them to be world-beaters right away, they are fortunate to have Montreal first on their schedule. Ticats by a field goal.

B.C. @ Calgary: The biggest change to the Lions' team is the loss of Dave Dickenson, which pretty much makes them the exact same team we've seen for the last few years. Calgary has a new head coach, though one with ample CFL experience, but they are still saddled with the fact that Henry Burris is very inconsistent. At his best, he's one of the best; at his worst, he looks like he doesn't belong in this league. Lions by 8.

Toronto @ Winnipeg: The debate continues, "Who's the better QB, Kevin Glenn or Kerry Joseph." Tough call. But Joseph is in a new system, and that's going to put him at a disadvantage early in the season. The Argos have the better defence, and the better special teams, but Winnipeg always raises their game at home. Bombers by 4.

Edmonton @ Saskatchewan: Saskatchewan has a new head coach, and is without their MVP QB from last season. At this point I don't know if Ricky Ray will be playing, but Jason Maas is back where he wants to be, and plays much better for Edmonton than he ever did for Hamilton or Montreal. Probably not the popular pick, but Eskimos by 9.

Thanks for doing this again Big Dave, another year of throwing darts, lol.

My picks for week 1:
Hamilton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Saskatchewan

Montreal @ Hamilton- Tabbies win a close one and build some confidence
B.C. @ Calgary - Cats maul horses
Toronto @ Winnipeg - Game of the week, a road upset to the Argos
Edmonton @ Saskatchewan - A feisty battle, the Riders defend home turf by a close margin

Thanks Big Dave.

winners in bold

Montreal @ Hamilton
B.C. @ Calgary
Toronto @ Winnipeg
Edmonton @ Saskatchewan

Big Dave:

Thanks for running the show again this year. I'll be picking all games this year, not like last. Here are my picks.

1. Montreal @ Hamilton- Montreal hasn't improved themselves, and Hamilton is an improved team. I'm taking the Tiger Cats in a close one by 3 points.

2. BC @ Calgary- BC may be the better team, but Calgary still has Joffrey Reynolds, all those good receivers, Henry Burris, and they are at home in the season opener. I'm taking Calgary by 4 points.

3. Toronto @ Winnipeg- This is a rematch of the two Grey Cup quarterbacks, oops, one didn't play due to injury, and the other got traded after winning the Grey Cup game. I'm taking a chance and taking Toronto by 3 points.

4. Edmonton @ Saskatchewan- Even though the defending Grey Cup champs are vastly different, they are in their home opener and playing the Eskimos who still have Danny leading them, the man without a clue. I'll take Saskatchewan by 6 points.

Hopefully this will be a better year than last, in all areas of life. Thanks Big Dave.

Week 1:

Montreal @ Hamilton - I think Montreal will win in a close one. Overtime anyone?

B.C. @ Calgary - BC is too good, they win easily.

Toronto @ Winnipeg - Winnipeg, Kevin Glenn is a beast, and The Bombers D seemed to be the only one defense in the league who can shut down KJ.

Edmonton @ Saskatchewan - Saskatchewan, why? Because I'm going to be there! Last year, everytime I went they won, and the Rider D is a beast. Marcus Crandell will throw 4 TD passes as well.

Go Riders!

Thsnks BigD! :smiley:

My picks again:
Montreal @ Hamilton - Monteal

B.C. @ Calgary - BC

Toronto @ Winnipeg - Winnipeg

Edmonton @ Saskatchewan - Saskatchewan

The drive back to the VGCC post-season starts this week. Time for my week 1 picks:

Hamilton over Montréal
BC over Calgary
Winnipeg over Toronto
Saskatchewan over Edmonton (pick'em game of the week)

Thanks, BigDave

Hamilton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Saskatchewan

Montreal @ Hamilton - I’m not convinced that Hamilton is any better than they have been the last five years, nor will I be until they show me they are. Every year I hear how much better they are than the past year, and every year they finish with 5 wins at the most.

B.C. @ Calgary - As long as Calgary has Burris they’re too unpredictable. The Lions on the other hand have been consistantly good.

Toronto @ Winnipeg - Can’t wait for this one! My mind tells me this could go either way but the blue and gold blood pumping through my veins says Winnipeg has this.

Edmonton @ Saskatchewan - On paper the defending champs look to be the weakest team in the league this year.

My picks for week 1 are :

Montreal @ Hamilton: Winner = Hamilton

B.C @ Calgary: Winner = Calgary

Toronto @ Winnipeg: Winner = Winnipeg

Edmonton @ Saskatchewan: Winner = Edmonton

Thanks for doing this BigDave!!

My picks for week 1 are :

Montreal @ Hamilton: Winner = Hamilton

B.C @ Calgary: Winner = Calgary

Toronto @ Winnipeg: Winner = Winnipeg

Edmonton @ Saskatchewan: Winner = Edmonton

Hamilton
Calgary
Toronto
Saskatchewan

Here we go again! Thanks Big Dave. Long live the CFL!

CFL in Ottawa in 2010 please!!!!!!!

Swah

Hamilton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Saskatchewan

Montreal @ Hamilton
B.C. @ Calgary
Toronto @ Winnipeg
Edmonton @ Saskatchewan

Montreal @ Hamilton
B.C. @ Calgary