Vince McMahon CFL proposal

McMahon's goal was to buy the CFL and merge it with the XFL.
Smartly the CFL BOG's voted it down.
Even though several media types, like CAm Cole, ridiculed the league for turning down McMahon.

I remember the head of WWF Canada, I forget his name, railing that the CFL would rue the day it turned down the WWF.
And that the WWF would destory the CFL

Two years later the XFL died, and the CFL has only gotten stronger.
And that guy, who is still head of WWE Canada, is strangely quiet these days.

In fact I emailed him after the XFL died.
And for some reason he didn't respond to me.
I wonder why?

One thing for sure
If Mcmahon had gotten the CFL, it would have died with the XFL.
Brilliant move by the CFL.

1 Like

The head of WWF (at the time) Canada was Carl De Marco. But you are wrong, he is no longer the head of WWE Canada. He left in 2009.

I’m glad that Vince never bought the CFL. I am a HUGE fan of his (and pro wrestling), but I’m happy that he was turned down. Vince has a great mind for the wrestling business, but he’s also failed a bunch times. Think the WBF and XFL.

1 Like

Hard to believe, but the XFL was top tier compared to the WBF which was nothing more than a soap opera about bodybuilders.

I cringe just thinking about it. shudder

The XFL was dreamed up AFTER the attempt to buy the CFL, so I do not believe that.

No.
MacMahon wanted to buy the CFL so he had players for his XFL.
CFL as we know it would have disappeared.

1 Like

Sorry, but depopulationINC is right. McMahon’s attempt to purchase the CFL happened in 1999. The XFL started in 2001. There was no XFL when Vince attempted to buy the CFL, so he did not try to buy it in hopes of merging it with a nonexistent league. It is probable, though likely impossible to prove, that Vince got the ball rolling on the XFL after his attempt to purchase the CFL was rebuffed.

So he was going to relocate each and every Canadian team to U.S. locations?

I thought his mandate was to keep the Canadian teams and add U.S. teams to the mix. Similar to the early 90’s CFL expansion although with a WWF type marketing showcase.

1 Like

I enjoyed the XFL while it lasted. I was about 15 years old at the time so I thought it was the coolest thing ever, I think I watched almost every single game. Looking back on it, the XFL had a rule that I honestly wish the CFL would adopt: each stadium must have real grass.

The field turf holds up better in cold and wet weather and is just as forgiving as real grass! The old turf was a different story, but it’s a non issue now!

Watch some old late-season/playoff games from Commonwealth…that will change your tune in a hurry!

Nah, I love those sloppy, muddy, frozen field, bad footing games. Hopefully when Ottawa comes back they go with true grass.

Prepare to be disappointed then. It ain’t happening.

I think we will see real grass come back sometime. Much like the return of traditional baseball parks on natural grass in the MLB, which began with Oriole Park. In the MLB the only 2 teams to not play on grass are the Rays and Blue Jays.