Very satisfying win against the Argos July 04.

Quite honestly after watching Calgary manhandle the Lions the previous week I was not optimistic about the Lions' prospects Thursday evening. What a great surprise! Owens can be deadly, and Ray has been known to wrack up rushing yards against the Lions on his own but right out of the gate the Lions were on a mission. You could see the intensity after every play. Elimimian is back! Bighill will be back sooner than later after suffering a leg injury. The Lions contained Owens for most of the game. Receivers like Moore and Arceneaux were great. Even Paris Jackson was given the chance to make things happen. Good for him.

My only disappointment was K. Williams on punt returns. This guy needs to be told to fall down if there is no place to go. He repeatedly lost yardage trying to turn no gains into something. I don't know, maybe he is over-confident or needs to respect the down field coverage more. So many times this guy was running in the wrong directly trying to outrun the opposition only to get tackled 3, 5 , or 10 yards further back than where he caught the ball. In fairness to Williams I've not been impressed with Brown's performance so I was actually relieved to see Williams have a go at it but I did not expect the performance he gave. I'm sure he was doing his best hoping to make his mark but it did not work out as he'd hoped.

I was particularly interested in seeing how Khalif Mitchell would do playing against his old teammates, He looked good out there but one wonders if he still has an allegiance to the Lions when he dropped Travis Lulay and was charged with roughing the passer. * sarcasm* This resulted in a fresh set of downs and ultimately a TD for the Lions. Poor Khalif was jeered by the fans but what the hey. Good grief they should have thanked him by giving him a standing ovation!

I know Harris doesn't have a whole lot of respect for Khalif based on some of his inappropriate comments last year about Khalif but it appears that Khalif has a lot of respect by most of the Lions team and other personnel. Handshakes and embraces were plentiful after the game. Mitchell even gave Banks a little friendly piggy back ride on the field after the game. Despite Khalif's colourful past it is obvious that the guy is still well liked and respected by the people who count the most and continue to try and be supportive. Good for Khalif.

Great game Lions. Keep it up! :thup:

Its pretty funny how the LIons are disrespecting KHALIF MITCHELL even though he was largely responsible for HELPING the LIONS win the GREY CUP- Plus not to mention the jersey sales that he made money for the Lions and the ticket playoff revenue etc-

The LIons were 1-6 that season and entered KHALIF MITCHELL into the lineup vs Edmonton- The lions from that point on were the best defense in the CFL and no one could stop them- Mitchell is a NFL player- He is 6 foot 5 and has MAN NFL strength- He can take the smaller interior Canadian O lineman and push them right into the QB-
The push that he generated with eric Taylor allowed Keron Williams and Kreem Smith to sneak around the edge and get to the QBS beacuse teams had to protect the middle of the LINe vs Mitchell--

The Lions should be thanking this guy- The LIONS are a business and MITCHELL helped the LIONS win the GREY CUP- HE was the MVP of the LIONS that GREY CUP WINNING Season--

Granted the next season he did some silly questionable things, and he was released- BUt the fact remains that the LIONS had no problem putting up with KHALIF when they were winning games and he was making the team popular generating fan interest, selling jerseys- So if they had such a problem with him why didnt they say anything WHEN THEY WERE WINNING?

THe reason is because the LIons needed a scapegoat to blame the playoff loss on- I have no respect for Andrew Harris- I do have respect for Mitchell- I have met Mitchell and he is a genuine nice man-
The LIons threw him under the bus blaming him for the season last year- It was a classless act and I have not attended a game since they released Michell-

Harris should relax and focus on his own play instead of criticzing a player that WON a GREY CUP for us- Championships are won with DEFENSE and MITCHELL was the best player in the CFL 2 seasons ago and was UNBLOCKABLE-- I dont think Mitchell is a dirty player- I think he plays hard and understands that in the trenches these things happen-- Its obvious by how some of the teammates like him, that he is a solid guy-
Football is a mans game- You do your talking on the field--- If you have a problem with another player you settle it on the field- You dont talk and criticize another player- Good for KHALIF who is a real MAN and a football player- He didnt take Harris's bait and he said Im gonna do my talking on the field and put your big boys pads on- In the NFL its a known fact that unless you are an ALL PRO you arent supposed to talk about other players or stir shit up- I can assure you that even players on the Lions respect Mitchell more than Andrew Harris- guys like Harris are fakes, and get no respect from the league-

In typical whiner fashion the LIons are completely ignorant for criticizing Mitchell--- They threw him under the bus LUONGO style- Same thing, Canucks win the CUP and Luongo is fine, if they lose the CUP then its all LUONGOS fault and lets throw him under the bus--

This is a sports town that has the motto " what have you done for me lately" Its a town of OPPORTUNISTS in general, people use other people and always are looking out for their interests- (selfish, me first )

I was a season ticket holder and decided not to renew my tickets this season---

I received phone calls from the Lions season tickets sales teams and they were completely clueless about the LIons team--

I voiced my displeasure in the way that the LIons traded away Mitchell and more importantly the way that HARRIS was talking trash about MITCHELL even though he is no longer on the team? Why is HARRIS concerned about a FORMER player? Why is Harris speaking about MITCHELL? What is it HARRIS's business? If Harris has such an issue with KHALIF then why didnt he meet him face to face to resolve his feelings with him? Ya we all know why he didnt do that, because he is SCARED of mitchell-

The lady on the phone didnt even know who MITCHELL was, and was trying to tell me that LULAY has been signed to a contract and that he will be here for years- I said I dont care about LULAY- I know who he is but he is not TOM BRADY, lets not get carried away- She could not communicate with me because even she did not know anything about the team-

Its the principle- I do not stand for those type of Morals and USING players when times are good and then throwing them under the bus and talking trash about them- Did MITCHELL ever say anything negative about the LIons after his release?

I am still a CFL fan, and watch the games on TV but now even I am thinking of taking my family to the WHITECAPS games because I appreciate the EFFORTS that the CAPS are putting into their team and they are doing it WITH CLASS----

BOB ACKLES would have handled this Mitchell thing better- he would not have allowed Harris to talk- he would say to payers if you going to talk make sure its about FOOTBALL and about YOURSELF--

Harris really turned me off the lions-

"Its pretty funny how the LIons are disrespecting KHALIF MITCHELL"...by Gridiron

You need to read my post more carefully Gridiron unless you were meaning Lions fans and not the Lions team. From what I saw there was little to no disrespect after the game towards Khalif by the those who are true professionals.
Did I like Harris saying what he said last season about Mitchell? Not in the least. He showed unprofessionalism and immaturity. Hopefully he will learn to keep his mouth shut and his opinions to himself.

Hello Beaglehound-

Yes the win was quite impressive. The Defense frustrated RICKY RAY, it seems that our defense lately has the right recipe to stop RICKY RAY- The method is simple- Play deeper zone and force RICKY RAY to throw short and TAKE AWAY THE DEEP BALL FROM RAY-

This was accomplished, I do not believe that Ray completed even 1 deep pass that game or even had 1 deep attempt- It was classic BC ZONE defense forcing RAY INTO checkdowns-

The pass rush was on fire and with BIGHILL and ELIMINEAN thats where the strength of our team is becasue both are hard hitters and intense and prob the best 1-2 combo in the league at linebacker-

I also was disapointed in the new returned WILLIAMS_ He looked slow to me, unsure of what to do, not sure if its a blocking issue or just an issue with him, the LIONS in general dont look like they are doing a good job of setting the blocks up-

Nick Moore played well again and is quite tall at 6'2 and smooth, he reminds me a bit of SIMON in the way he runs his routes and has good hands- However MOORE cannot take the big hits and hang on to the ball, but he certainly has confidence to beat dbs and has good size --

Arcenaux looks good and is our deep threat- He looks pretty fast and can beat dbs deep---

Our O line has injuries but I think the Lions need to focus on getting stronger on the interior O line- The other CFl teams such as SASK CGY and EDM have really good D lineman that will blast right through our O line- We need some strength on the interioir of our O line-

The new kicker looks pretty decent, punts better than Macalum, and can kickoff longer also--

I liked BENEVIDES attitude- he looked possessed out there and was really intense- You could see by his face that he did a great job of getting the LIons ready to play- PROPS to BENEVIDES for getting the Lions amped up to play--

Keron Williams was dominant all night running right by the Toronto O lineman most of the time-

Akeem Foster is still MIA- Im thinking that we should switch FOSTER out of the lineup and put PARIS JACKSON in there- Paris is our most experienced receiver and could mentor younger guys, and JACKSON still has the size and knowledge to get open- Paris is a fine #3 or #4 receiver- I believe he could provide us with stability with his experience-

Lulay played good considering he has little to no time to throw the ball-

I think TIM BROWN will be our returner, this williams guy will be cut if he does nothing the next game-

Hello Beaglehound-

Yes the win was quite impressive. The Defense frustrated RICKY RAY, it seems that our defense lately has the right recipe to stop RICKY RAY- The method is simple- Play deeper zone and force RICKY RAY to throw short and TAKE AWAY THE DEEP BALL FROM RAY-

This was accomplished, I do not believe that Ray completed even 1 deep pass that game or even had 1 deep attempt- It was classic BC ZONE defense forcing RAY INTO checkdowns-

The pass rush was on fire and with BIGHILL and ELIMINEAN thats where the strength of our team is becasue both are hard hitters and intense and prob the best 1-2 combo in the league at linebacker-

I also was disapointed in the new returned WILLIAMS_ He looked slow to me, unsure of what to do, not sure if its a blocking issue or just an issue with him, the LIONS in general dont look like they are doing a good job of setting the blocks up-

Nick Moore played well again and is quite tall at 6'2 and smooth, he reminds me a bit of SIMON in the way he runs his routes and has good hands- However MOORE cannot take the big hits and hang on to the ball, but he certainly has confidence to beat dbs and has good size --

Arcenaux looks good and is our deep threat- He looks pretty fast and can beat dbs deep---

Our O line has injuries but I think the Lions need to focus on getting stronger on the interior O line- The other CFl teams such as SASK CGY and EDM have really good D lineman that will blast right through our O line- We need some strength on the interioir of our O line-

The new kicker looks pretty decent, punts better than Macalum, and can kickoff longer also--

I liked BENEVIDES attitude- he looked possessed out there and was really intense- You could see by his face that he did a great job of getting the LIons ready to play- PROPS to BENEVIDES for getting the Lions amped up to play--

Keron Williams was dominant all night running right by the Toronto O lineman most of the time-

Akeem Foster is still MIA- Im thinking that we should switch FOSTER out of the lineup and put PARIS JACKSON in there- Paris is our most experienced receiver and could mentor younger guys, and JACKSON still has the size and knowledge to get open- Paris is a fine #3 or #4 receiver- I believe he could provide us with stability with his experience-

Lulay played good considering he has little to no time to throw the ball-

I think TIM BROWN will be our returner, this williams guy will be cut if he does nothing the next game-

how come gridion is the only one on here.

I agree though the people working in the lions office are clueless , that is on thing bob ackles fixed when he got here , got rid of all the dead air in that office but it seems to be back know.

Lions have some big problems ahead of them better get fixed or they are going to be going from 25,000 to 20,000 to 15,000 again.

I too went o my first whitecaps game and loved it, I am going again in fact my daughter loves it also , loves the crowd, loves the atmosphere, loves the people around them. but I am never giving up on my lion's I know they can get back there. I still love going to lions games.

Oh boy...

"Guru".. if you stopped going to games because the Lions traded 1 player.. then you're not much of a fan.. and i doubt you will be missed.

The Lions did not throw Mitchell under the bus. He threw himself under that bus with his lack of class last season. First the arm bending incident, then the throat slashing gestures, then the racist tweet. He did those himself. And not once did he own up to any of it. After the arm bend he tried to claim that it was a football move. After the throat slashing gestures he tried to claim it was a cross. The sign of the cross goes across the chest.. not the throat. And after the tweet, he tried to claim that he didn't realize it was a racist word.

He did it to himself. And you supporting him here in a public forum, only shows that you have as little class as he does. And i find it rather funny that you say... and i quote... "I do not stand for those type of Morals and USING players when times are good and then throwing them under the bus"... yet you apparently stand for Mitchell's morals of do something bad and then lie about it to try and cover your ass.

And your claim that he was used as the scapegoat for them losing the playoff game is laughable. If you honestly believe that he was traded because the Lions lost the playoff game and they were blaming him for it... then you know less about the game that i gave you credit for.... which really wasn't much to begin with.

He was traded for two reasons. The 3 incidents i listed above, and his less than productive season last year (15 tackles and 2 sacks in 12 games). Football, like every sport, is a 'what have you done for me lately' type of game. Two seasons ago Mitchell played hard, produced on the field and kept his nose clean. Last season his production dropped dramatically, and he became a liability both on and off the field. So.. in keeping with 'what have you done for me lately'... he was moved. Because at that point, he hadn't done anything for the Lions lately.... at least nothing positive.

Oh.. and your claim that Mitchell "WON a GREY CUP for us"

Mitchell did not win a Grey Cup for us. The TEAM won a Grey Cup. Mitchell was just a part of that TEAM. If you go back and watch the highlights of that game, there were 11 other players on the field with Mitchell. And there were 12 different guys on the field when the Lions had the ball. Michell did not do it all himself. In fact, he only had one tackle and one sack that game. So he most certainly did not "win a Grey Cup for us."

I think your assessment of why Mitchell was traded is quite accurate Chronicguy. The shelf life for most pros is a short one. Remaining with one particular team for any great length of time seems even shorter for a myriad of reasons.

I was glad to see the reception Khalif received by his former teammates after the Lions/Argos game. I was happy for Khalif more than for any other reason. Hopefully his antics are behind him and will not continue to dog him. He still appears to have a lot to contribute the sport of football.