Vernon Adams to be traded

It would be fun to play poker against Coach Jones.

and lucrative!

IMO, EDM wouldn't be the best spot to send Adams.
The Cats would get a draft pick in exchange for the guy who, not long ago, we were excited to have as our backup QB plus his head-full of the HAM playbook two weeks before the TiCats play there.

Guessing it was Adams asking to be traded and Jones agreeing to accommodate him that started the ball rolling on this rumour.

Not sure anyone will trade but he won't be unemployed long if they end up cutting him.

If Adams plan is to get out of his contract, Tillman might as well dress him as #3 until he can get a return. Still a week to training camp and some teams are already in QB trouble.

Don’t think it would be contract that he has an issue with but being bumped down the depth chart with no hope of seeing the field that may be the problem.

Like June Jones said, “things change quickly in the CFL”

I thought he said things change quickly??

With Jones proclamation my feeling was that a deal was already done .

With Nichols out for awhile I thought it would be automatic with Winnipeg but with Montreal's new coach they might give Adams a second shot with a different system .

Keep him until after the week-end games, if possible, given the cut-down roster allotments. Never know what can happen, to make him suddenly more valuable.

Either that, or he has been over-rated and other teams are not offering a player of immediate use to the Cats?

With the way trades in the CFL typically work, I don’t think we can expect a player of immediate use. We’ll get back a draft pick/neg lists rights/depth Canadians that don’t play, similar to the Gable and Chick trades in the past.

We acquired Charleston Hughes from CGY for our 2019 4th round pick, we then traded Hughes for
Vernon Adams straight up.

If we can get better or equivalent to a 2019 4th for Adams, we are ahead.

If we can get picks for him, the clearing of $90K+ off our Cap and a roster spot is a bonus.

If we keep him past the cut-down date, that means he is on our roster and someone else we wanted to keep is not.

Also, as the roster cut-down date approaches and teams realize we don’t want Adams, his trade value approaches zero.

Maybe Jones should publicly disclose the minimum trade value we will accept for him. You know, just to strengthen our negotiating position that much more.

I can't say that I was surprised that they were trading Adams - just the announcement that made it sound like a done deal when obviously it wasn't. Jones is transparent but maybe needs to temper that a bit when it comes to dealing players to another team.

Adams was just the "insurance policy" in case Johnny didn't sign or came in and didn't progress well. VAJ is suited to Jones style of offense. However it doesn't make sense to keep him and an injury during camp sure didn't help his chances. Appears that they are still looking for a landing spot and that may not occur until after other teams determine their final cuts. I do hope that the team is able to get something for him. Draft picks - even later ones - can be valuable.

Hey Coach Jones, You’re holding your cards backwards! ::slight_smile:

I think it is refreshing to see some transparency in this league. He obviously want the best for Adams in the circumstances. That too is to his honor.

Pretty good article but I always make the mistake of reading the comments after it .

is this trade because they want the free up space in salary cap and to get Mark Chapman??

I hear you Hank. The comments used to be good to read but too many of them have turned into mud-slinging battles worthy of our worst politicians! :o :smiley:

I think it’s more about not using a roster spot on a player that they don’t plan to use and giving Adams an opportunity to play elsewhere. That being said - they might toss a bit more money at Chapman and of course he could use the roster spot.

But it doesn’t free up a non-QB roster spot. The three QB spots are exclusive to QBs.

It does mean, however, (assuming a trade does take place) that Moniz won’t end up with a mysterious injury just before the cut-down deadline - along with Evans. [knock wood]