Value of a Canadian QB= Gold mine

why can't teams seem the value of having a Canadian QB? if they find someone that is a good enough QB to be a backup, that could free up another spot for an import to fill. IMHO, looking for a Canadian QB and finding one is like discovery Gold or Oil, and while it will not get you into a Grey Cup, it could make making the playoffs easier. CFL teams need to send a lit less time down south, and a bit more in the north for talent.

my 2 cents.

Quarterbacks don’t count against the ratio, each team has 20 non-imports, 19 imports and 3 quarterbacks to an active roster. That’s why no one spends any time on a Canadian quarterback.

and that has to change IMHO, CFL teams should be encoraged to look and suit up a Canadian QB.

the rule in theory doesn't stop CFL from doing so, or hurt a Canadian QB chances, in pratice is has been the case that CFL overlook Canadian QBs for the wider talent pool down south It's done little for CFL teams in the past few seasons, and there needs to be a change.

[edited]

When you think about it, if you actually want a Canadian QB to start, or at least play, having Canadian QB's count as NI's probably hurts more than it helps.

I agree...the PR alone for the league would be huge. Let alone the fan interest if Canadians QB's began to start and regularly play for their team.

But, as others have pointed out, its a ratio issue. One thing that would help is if the CFL would change the rule that would allow a QB to play another position besides QB. If the 3rd string QB was designated to be a Canadian, maybe you could get the guy punting or placekicking to make him useful. Right now though, a QB is a QB and nothing else.

if he is awful yes, but you would likly have a US guy in the wings to replace him, assuming you start him.

my point is to have one canadian QB frees up a posistion to be filled by an import, and if the canadian QB proves to be good, that’s a potensal gold mine, don;t forget good canadian players win Grey Cups.

hm, that’s certainly food for thought, and should be looked into. Well done! :thup:

The only problem I see with a rule encouraging Canadian qb's is the same as what happened with Jesse Lumsden, there is just so much pressure on a Canadian to do will in what is traditionally an American position, very tough on a kid. And when they don't or can't perform, people will start saying look at the Canadians in this position, they are crap and can't do the job. But still, I'd like to see some Canadian kids who deserve a chance to get that chance nonetheless.

Ya, but then you're apt to see 8 3rd QB's who "just happened" to be 3 year starters at LB in college.

But see that's the problem - IF you you count QB's as non-imports, and IF you play one, and IF you then replace one with an import QB, then you must also replace another import somewhere with a Canadian....or, protect against this by starting an EXTRA NI somewhere else, which effectively defeats the purpose of having a NI QB to begin with.

The only way your suggestion helps is to assume that the NI QB will never play, and it then just becomes a backhanded attempt to reduce the number of NI's you really need by one.

well, it's just like Jackie Robinson, he had a lot of pressure on him, and he did well, mind you he was a great player, but who knows, our Jakie Robinson might be just around the corner, and that could can't people's minds about Canadian QBs.

besides, it's unfair to blame one Canadian QB lack of skill on a whole group, that's profiling, and profiling is wrong. Judge the guy, not the group.

I don't exclude any position like the QB position is now, all positions are now up for grabs, and a team must have a 2 to 1 ratio favoring Canadian players, so if it's like 20 Canadians, 19 imports, and 3 QBs now, I'd prefer it to be 22 Canadians and 20 imports.

If seven Canadian players have to start on every down, that leaves five import positions, and I;m sure a team can firgue it all out, its not a big deal.

but it's a start, and in any case, since the QB is such a high profile position, and if he does his job well unlike Bishop, what Canadian wouldn't want to see him? Canadians are the ones that primarily watch the CFL after all, thanks to the NFL's monopoly on TVs in the USA, and the World.

I keep going back to Palmer. He could have been THE guy to change this for the CFL. A Canadian kid who played for a major Div 1 NCAA school.

Its just too bad the guy had a ego the size of a house and wanted the contract to match. As someone reminded me recently he was looking for a contract in the neighbourhood of 500K/year from Montreal. Wettenhall probably could have found 1/2 that much (even though it would have been too much for an un-proven, NFL washout) and given him the rest in incentives.

That said, if I'm the Hunt group, I still think you give him a call once they get the team up and running in Ottawa. He's still a young man, and maybe by then his ESPN desires will have been met and he's looking for something new. If nothing else, the PR would be good for the team.

is he still playing in the NFL, or anywhere? once can only warm the bench for so long unless he is getting a million to do it.

[i]well, it's just like Jackie Robinson, he had a lot of pressure on him, and he did well, mind you he was a great player, but who knows, our Jakie Robinson might be just around the corner, and that could can't people's minds about Canadian QBs.

besides, it's unfair to blame one Canadian QB lack of skill on a whole group, that's profiling, and profiling is wrong. Judge the guy, not the group.[/i]

Very true back. In terms of Palmer, he does analysis for NCAA games and I'm sure is paid a pretty penny with his pretty face and quick garb, and actually his knowledge, he seems knowledgeable to me about the NCAA from the short time I've seen him commenting but I don't know what big NCAA fans think of him.

No…he does ESPN’s Thurs night game hosting, and TSN’s Monday AM QB feature.

But still a young guy.

I STILL SAY ORBAN AND GLAVIC SHOULD OF TRANSFERED TO A NCAA SCHOOL AND LEARNED AND PLAYED WITH BETTER COMPETITION.Erik Glavic is getting NFL looks at 6 foot 5 235 pounds who wouldnt.The CFL needs to tweeks the import clause to something like
20 NON-IMPORTS
19 IMPORTS
3 QBS
DO AWAY WITH MANDATORY IMPORT STARTERS
AND IF ANYBODY GETS HURT YOU CAN BRING IN ANYBODY

I like the last thing you said, if a player gets hurt, the ratio should really apply unless someone on here can give a good reason why it should. Maybe in this case the idea of having a minimum of 4 Canadian players per down should apply.

Other than that, the 7 Canadians start on every down should stand as is. QBs should not be excluded from the ratio, and included like this.

22 non imports
20 Imports

maybe even expand that number to 46 on the active roster? then it be like...
24 non imports
22 imports

that would help with the whole injury issue, and if the minimum of 7 non imports per down says, that shouldn't be an issue any more.

anyway, I bit more of my brain storming there with some help from previous posters and my thoughts.