USFL Announces a relaunch for 2022

I'm sure the league will be back, especially as NBC is quite happy with their results. I'm not a fan of the non-compete clause however. Would love to see what Kavontae Turpin could do on the big field up north, especially with how seamless James Butler went from the XFL to CFL.

1 Like

I believe FOX will fold the league before Union negotiations start and revert back to the TSL brand

1 Like

As we have hashed and rehashed 235 times - I think that both the USFL and XFL are being spurred along by the NFL - it gets back to the fact that 30% of NFL players are undrafted - one just has to look at the edges of the ALT Football landscape to see the NFL fingerprints on this thing - no way do two NFL football broadcast partners unilaterally start up the USFL and broadcast it with out the NFL's blessing -

Same with the XFL - I really think that the NFL just wants a layer of football below the NFL to get some tape on the pieces and parts that the NFL needs -

2 Likes

FOX will bail on their pet project once a union wants to start negotiations on a CBA. it will fold it's league and go with the TSL

1 Like

That's a pretty big number 9+ months from opening kickoff.

1 Like

According the the New York Post, a publication owned by FOX, saying that the USFL is looking for outside investors to help fund expansion though three sources close to the league.

FOX is using the same law firm that facilitated the sale of the Denver Broncos for 4.6 billion dollars. FOX is stealing my idea when I stated the CFL should reach out to the losing bidders of the Broncos to purchase a CFL franchises

2 Likes

Well, Jim Popp is the director of player administration with the USFL so it was probably him that read your post, presented it to FOX and took all the glory.

1 Like

Probably.

But the CFL is missing an opportunity not beating the bushes for US expansion markets.

Halifax is a given for CFL expansion, but to make some serious money, the CFL needs to look southward

4 Likes

I hear you, Dave but these Spring Leagues are making it difficult. We can only go to certain stadiums so hopefully USFL doesn't steal Chicago.

2 Likes

Chicago was a disaster for the first XFL. Players were ripping up the frozen field.

FOX is looking for investors to buying into it's league. There could be a race for the Windy City by the USFL, XFL and CFL.

Hopefully once Halifax is locked up, the CFL has regular season games, not exhibition games in US markets like Chicago, New York, Philadelphia and Seattle. If Amar Doman is in charge of the expansion committee like Randy alluded to, he could jumpstart the process

3 Likes

Yeah, Doman mentioned international neutral site games a month ago so I'm looking forward to seeing it all unfold.

1 Like

Well unlike the last 2 spring leagues, they managed to finish a season...and quite the finish. Birmingham defeated Philadelphia in a 33-30 thriller. It even featured the 4th and 12 in lieu of the onside kick.... unsuccessful mind you

Both starting QBs got hurt in the process including Philadelphia's Case Cookus, who's getting married later in the week... ouch!

2 Likes

Awesome game tonight and what spring football really has the potential to be. Sellout crowd, #2 trending topic on twitter, though that nasty injury to Cookus really doomed the Stars tonight. Got my local watering hole to turn the game on at halftime and people really started getting into it. The season was far from perfect, but what a great game to end it on.

2 Likes

Well the league ended on a pretty strong note. Hard fought, close game, despite losing both starting QB's in the 2nd half.

*Game averaged 1.517 million viewers and peaked at 1.8 million.
*Trended #1 on Twitter for the night.
*League pulled in $65 million in advertising revenue for the season.
*Expansion of roster size as well as at least 1 more hub for 2023 season.
*Huge 11 rating and 24 share in Birmingham market.

2 Likes

I actually enjoyed the 22 USFL season, though I was cheering for the Generals... Mike Riley was one of my favorite Winnipeg Blue Bombers coaches. Will watch 23 if it's a go.
A couple things they did well was the use of drones to be right in the play, and the communication when reviewing penalties.

2 Likes

Has there been any further news from the USFL looking into next year or beyond? I they were looking for further funding but not sure if they are likely to proceed and if so where?

They're full steam ahead for year 2. Looking to increase roster size and expand to at least 1 more hub. They brought in $60+ million in advertising revenue this season. NBC and Fox are looking to schedule games after more premier events going forward as well.

2 Likes

They ideally would like to get into 4 hubs, since they note that does help with ticket sales, but also ratings. I don't think it was a fluke that week in and out the game with the best ratings regardless of channel was Birmingham usually.

That they are the 1st since XFL 1.0 to actually complete their season is a plus, also they completed their season and did not immediately fire everyone and close up shop too also is a good sign for 2023 for them.

3 Likes

I enjoyed the season. Wondering if the NFHS will adopt the USFL kickoff alignment to reduce injuries?

4th and 12 as an onside kickoff replacement could be a good idea too

2 Likes