US STEEL will shut down operations

After reading the recent news from CBC and CTV about the closing of the ex-Stelco Steel making business in Hamilton now owned by US Steel that will put 2200 employees out of work by Dec 31st it's very unfortunate about the closing and that so many will lose their jobs in the Hamilton labour market.

Link: http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/u-s-stee ... -1.1518902

The Steel Industry in Hamilton has had a close relationship with the Tiger-Cats over the years and many fans, family and friends attending games and supporting the organization. It's a shame that many lost their job ion the first place with the downsizing of the company but this is just another hit to the Hamilton economy.

Wow. Just wow.

I know that it's already only a shadow of its former self but I think of all my friends in high school who announced that instead of higher education they were going to "STELCO U."

Wherever you are my friends, from Scott Park in 1970 or H.C.I in 1971, I wish you well. I wish you well.

Hmm'........ shutting down in Hamilton , but hiring in Nanicoke .......not sure how their union works but one would think if they are hiring down the road, that transfers would be in order. yes ?? not sure but just saying.

Where does it say that? the article that you posted said it was cutting back 47 jobs???

Holy overreaction batman. They don't make steel there as it is. There will be 47 job losses.

The link to the story says only 47 jobs will be lost - which is still not good news but way better than a loss of over 2000 jobs. Hopefully those 47 can quickly find employment in Hamilton's strong economy - the fastest growing in Ontario. After all there are more new commercial developments happening now than in any city in Canada and the Conference Board of Canada for the second year in a row has said Hamilton is the best place to invest in Canada.

47 Non Union Manager jobs which the company will find work for them elsewhere.

And I'm sure as the US economy picks up and the demand for cars picks up that Dofasco Acelior will begin to hire. Their steel goes to the auto industry and 90 PER CENT of the cars produced in Canada are shipped to the US market.

As amusing as bigcat has become in his recent posts, will somebody shut this bugger up.
He spews nothing but lies and false statements...and it's off topic.

Yea :thup: he reads headlines but doesn’t read the actual story

I just hope the city and the higher levels of government have a plan in place to hold US Steel accountable for the environmental issues that will no doubt come as a result of this closure. Specfically soil remediation removal of these abandoned factories.

47 jobs, not a plant closure

No kidding…

nope. not kidding at all…says so in the article :wink:

Soil remediation and businesses out of business? Is that a joke? Rheem plant, and they expect the government to pay for that? What a horrible situation companies put cities and governments in. Business sets up shop, closes after a certain period and gonzo, no accountability.

And we let it happen. All because these businesses say let us operate as we wish under these conditions or else we’ll move or go under and you won’t have your Canadian jobs. Well guess what? They often end up moving or go under anyways!! :roll:

I agree with you Earl, the breaks big business get in our country and the US digust me. Franky, I’m of the opinion that if a company is involved in any industry that can cause environmental damage, they should be have non-deductable taxes applied to them that are put into a fund that the MoE handles that goes towards enviromental remediation costs.

Of course they then whine and say “Well, we’ll go to China then” to which I would say good riddance, btw we tariff Chinese goods because of the labour conditions and human rights record. There are plenty of smaller buisnesses and mid-size corps who are perfectly willing to step up to the plate in our country and would benefit for big corps taking a hike.

8) Exactly, "mikem", he obviously doesn't even read the headline in the story, where it states, 47 jobs !!!
 Besides, what has this got to do with a football forum ????    <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->
Hammer wrote: Franky, I'm of the opinion that if a company is involved in any industry that can cause environmental damage, they should be have non-deductable taxes applied to them that are put into a fund that the MoE handles that goes towards enviromental remediation costs.
:thup: :thup: :thup: No way should a current civic government have to fight tooth and nail and spend their resources to get government funding, provinicial or federal, for what went on decades before they were around. But that seems to be the case. Sad. :roll: :cry: The feds and province should have to pony up the funds for these costs, not civic governments IMHO. And not make it tied to a Pan Am stadium or velodrome or what have you. Very separate issues and should be separate.

Fair enough, here’s a slightly better article.

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/u-s-steel-permanently-closes-hamilton-blast-furnace-and-steelmaking-1.2287483]http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ ... -1.2287483[/url]

So pretty much, only the coke ovens (the most environmentally damaging part of the Steel making process) will remain open. If they shut down the blast furnace, and don’t idle it, It’s done, the cost of getting it back in working order will far outweigh the cost of replacing it. Admittably my source for that is mainly from ex-employees I know who used to work there, so how accurate it is, is a bit of a two way street.

My prediction, the plant is going to be pretty much condemmed to a slow rot. Eventually the company will strip anything of value and leave everything else behind because it costs more to cleanup then to let it rot. The facilities will simply succumb to wear and tear and the company will either pawn the facility off to some sucker, at which point you’ll see that land shift hands until everyone involved can say “Oh, it was the last guy who poluted the soil, oh no it was this guy who did it, oh no…we’ve haven’t been on that land in ages, Stelco did that, not US Steel, we aren’t liable” or the company itself will go bankrupt.

Then the MoE and the city will be stuck with the demolition and remediation bill. That’s the true, unspoken cost of industry. Good governments however take on these issues immediately with their high tax revenue they harvested over the years from these corps. Bad ones shrug and let it sit idle until they can win some votes or make some money by applying a fix to it. To that I can only say, look how long Rheem sat idle before anything was done (and it’s still not fixed).

At least Arcelor/Mittal is still around, I wonder if they are still sponsoring the Ti-Cats?

Hammer wrote: Bad ones shrug and let it sit idle until they can win some votes or make some money by applying a fix to it. To that I can only say, look how long Rheem sat idle before anything was done (and it's still not fixed).
:thup: :thup: :thup: