Update from practice vrs MTL and some good injury news

Ticats look to rest regulars in season-finale (though not Collaros)
Posted on November 1, 2016 by Drew Edwards // 4 Comments

[b][i]The Hamilton Tiger-Cats are expected to sit a number of high-profile players for the season finale against the Montreal Alouettes – though quarterback Zach Collaros may still get the start.

Saturday’s game will have no impact in the standings for either team. The Ticats (7-10) are locked into second place in the division and will host the East Semi-Final on Nov. 13. Montreal is 6-11 and out of playoff contention.

Among those who did not take first teams reps during Tuesday’s practice: linebackers Simoni Lawrence and Larry Dean, Canadian defensive tackles Ted Laurent and Mike Atkinson, running back C.J. Gable, defensive end Adrian Tracy, guard Ryan Bomben and safety Emanuel Davis.

They will be replaced by series of back ups – in many cases Canadian – as the team will use the game to take a look at some of its depth.

Collaros, however, worked with the first team offence – a strong indicator that he’ll start on Saturday. While there is an argument to protect their starting quarterback, Collaros has made just nine starts this season while recovering from knee surgery, then suffering a concussion last month.

There was also some good news on the injury front as several players returned to action. Veteran linebacker Keon Raymond, as well as a trio of Canadians – safety Courtney Stephen, running back Anthony Woodson and defensive tackle Evan Gill – all took part in practice on Monday. While it remains to be seen whether they’ll play Saturday, it bodes well for their return in time for the playoffs.

Another positive development: defensive back Derrius Brooks, who carted from the field during last Friday’s loss, participated in practice on Tuesday.

Not all the injury news is good, however. Defensive back Johnny Adams missed practice after suffering an injury against Edmonton He joins a long – and talented – list of Ticats on the sidelines.

Here is a partial injury list of notable names and their status:

Johnny Sears, defensive back: possible for East Semi-Final
Luke Tasker, receiver: possible for East Final (if the Ticats make it)
Rico Murray, defensive back: possible for East Final
Ross Scheuerman, running back: possible for East Final
Andy Fantuz, receiver: out for the season
Chad Owens, receiver: out for season
Demond Washington, defensive back: out for season
Jeremy Lewis, offensive lineman: out for season
Shane Herbert, Canadian defensive back: out for season
Jake Olson, offensive lineman: out for season[/i][/b]

Mark Liu ?@themarksman13 42m42 minutes ago
#CFL #DFS @CFLFantasyFTB
Johnny Adams broke his leg last week
Fantuz torn ACL

Bad idea to feed Collaros to Woods,Hebert,Venable with nothing on the line.

I’m inclined to agree. I’d start Masoli, and I’d like to see Mathews or Golson on the field as well.

8) I agree. Let's see what Golson can do. He's been here for half the season and has yet to even get into a game !!
   Without seeing him in actual game action, the Cats have no idea at all what he is capable of !!
    He certainly should know this offence by this point in time.

We have seen Matthews in action, and he leaves a lot to be desired from what I have seen.

I'm mixed on this one. On one hand, I agree that this is an opportunity to have players rest and recover, and to protect the starters from needless exposure to injury, whether major or minor. Calgary make that decision and now their players will have almost a month of game inactivity. Only time will tell if that was a good, or poor, choice. Given their play over the season, I think we can expect them to show some rust early, but probably not enough to negatively impact the outcome of the game. Obviously, the staff there feel that way.

On the other hand, I think our situation is different. Zach has only played about half the season, the receiving corps has been decimated, and will be comprised mostly of players who basically started the season as back-ups or weren't even on the roster. IMO, Zach, and the receivers, need playing time together. The run game has been virtually non-existent up until the last couple of games. It needs to continue to develop. The defence has been a weekly jig-saw puzzle for the staff, and it needs time and game experience to gel. Speedy B has missed two games, but sputtered over the two or three before that. He needs to get his game back in form. I know we risk injuries, and I don't doubt that they will occur given our experience this season, but I think the key players, the ones we need to produce, have to have some playing time. And besides, how many of the injuries have actually occurred on the practice field, compared to games. Or maybe they just become apparent there?

Maybe not all of them playing at the same time, maybe all of them playing for only part of the game, I don't know. But we have to get the team rounding into form by November 13, be it Winnipeg or Edmonton coming to town. I think they need real game time and experience together to do that. Maybe the coaching staff feel they can try out some different approaches, or can fine tune the team through the use of the back-ups, and assessing what works and what doesn't. But, I think we need some playing time for the starters.

And when all is said and done, we can't have too many reserves left anyway. With half the roster on the IR, most of the healthy back-ups must already be suiting up?

This is not pre season.golson can wait.collaros needs work and confidence.he's 3and 6 this year.play him !

play zach, he needs reps.

On offence, I would rest Toliver, and dress K Lawrence in his place. And rest Collaros in the second half. The rest of the receivers need the reps. And leave the o-line alone, and play Gable in order to protect the QBs.

On defence, I’d rest a few of the front seven, at least subbing in the backups more than usual. But the DBs need as many reps as possible, so I’d leave them in.

Agreed. I'd be telling Watt, Jones & Aprile that the time is now for one of them to step up & seize a starting job, not just for the rest of this year, but for next. I'd also consider starting Revenberg at RT because Campbell had a terrible game against Edmonton. It would also have the added bonus of ratio flexibility.

steve milton ?@miltonatthespec 1h1 hour ago
Austin on Collaros 4 #Als game: “We’re going to keep it a little flexibile He won’t play a lot but needs to play a little bit: #Ticats #CFL

steve milton ?@miltonatthespec 1h1 hour ago
Austin still hasn't got official final word on Andy Fantuz' but talking as if receiver won't be here for rest of year. #CFL #Ticats #Als

Calgary is gonna get BLOWN OUT

Calgary? Mebbe you mean Edmonton.
Calgary finished first I believe and has the bye and is waiting for the Winnipeg/BC winner.
We will be in our seats watching and yelling to pump up the D and QUIET for the O. Hopefully the zebras wont spoil this game

Actually, I like the way he's thinking. As in, Hamilton will blow Calgary away in the Grey Cup, after beating both Edmonton and Ottawa.

That's what you meant, right EE17?

OK, maybe he's just commenting on Calgary's decision to rest their starters in their last regular season game, and that the three week layoff before the WDF could result in a lot of rust.