Upcoming All-Time Hamilton Tiger-Cats Roster for Madden 2K4

Hi folks,

I have submitted my Madden 2K4 Ticat roster update 2.0 to pcfootball.net's Joe Gandolfo for inclusion on his site in the next day or so.

I will post the exact coordinates of the update file for downloading when I receive them. This update should work with PC versions of Madden 2K4-2K7 with the proper porting utilities, which can be found at pcfootball.net or equivalent Madden fan sites.

For your reference, I have pasted a copy of the included Update Readme file below, explaining all the clanges to the first edition. :wink:

RUSS HARRISON's ALL-TIME HAMILTON TIGER-CATS TEAM FOR MADDEN 2004 -- UPDATE 2.0

October 17, 2006

Update and Changes:

A) Player Numbers

I have been able to alter the roster using Madden Amp 2.3.2, allowing me to change some player numbers to better reflect their real-life CFL numbers. These include:

Earl Winfield (WR): was #11 in the original roster, now edited to #1 to reflect his actual number;
Mark Streeter (CB): was #40 in the original roster, now edited to #2 to closer reflect his actual number #20 already assigned to Jimmy Edwards;
Hal Patterson (WR): was #88 in the original roster, now edited to #7 to reflect his actual number #77 already assigned to Grover Covington;
Willie Bethea (FB): was #32 in the original roster, now edited to #17 to closer reflect his actual number #16 already assigned to Chuck Ealey;
Howard Fields (SS): was #36 in the original roster, now edited to #18 to closer reflect his actual number #16 already assigned to Chuck Ealey;
Rocky DiPietro (TE): was #83 in the original roster, now edited to #23 to reflect his actual number;
Lewis Porter (CB): was #34 in the original roster, now edited to #24 to reflect his actual number;
Dave Buchanan (HB): was #23 in the original roster, now edited to #25 to accommodate the change to DiPietro and the reassignment to #24 to Lewis Porter;
Ben Zambiasi (MLB): was #91 in the original roster, now edited to #31 to reflect his actual number;
Bob Krouse (LOLB): was #94 in the original roster, now edited to #41 to closer reflect his actual #14 and to accommodate Danny McManus's #14;
Frank Robinson (ROLB): was #93 in the original roster, now edited to #43 to reflect his actual number;
Chet Miksza (C): was #76 in the original roster, now edited to #46 to reflect the other actual number he wore, allowing the reassignment of #76 to Tony Gabriel;
Tim Cheatwood (LE): was #79 in the original roster, now edited to #49 to reflect his actual number;
Joe Montford (RE): was #63 in the original roster, now edited to #53 to reflect his actual number;
Vince Scott (DT): was #96 in the original roster, now edited to #56 to closer reflect his actual #53 already assigned to Joe Montford,
Bill Danychuk (LT): was #62 in the original roster, now edited to #55 to reflect his actual number;
Vince Mazza (LT): was #73 in the original roster, now #63 to accommodate the change of Calvin Tiggle's #73;
Calvin Tiggle (MLB): was #53 in the original roster, now edited to #73 to reflect his actual number;
Tony Gabriel (TE): was #67 in the original roster, now edited to #76 to closer reflect his actual number #77 already assigned to Grover Covington.
Zeno Karcz (LOLB): was #95 in the original roster, now edited to #85 to reflect his actual number;
Cookie Gilchrist (FB): was #85 in the original roster, now edited to #95 to accommodate Zeno Zarcz's #85.

These changes were made with Madden Amp 2.3.2. It allowed me to bypass the numbering restrictions that Madden 2004's PC version imposes re create-a-player and create-a-team functions. It enhances the realism of the game as a result. I highly recommend Madden Amp as a franchise editor!

Madden Amp is available as a download from football freaks.com -- it is supposed to work with Madden 2K4, 2K5, and 2K5. I've only used it for the 2K4 PC version. Backup your original files and give it a try...

A few players had some accessory fixes -- taping and gloves -- to ensure uniformity.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: IF YOU USE THE UPDATED ROSTER I AM OFFERING HERE, DO NOT EDIT THE NUMBERS USING THE EDIT FUNCTION IN "PLAYER MANAGEMENT." YOU WILL FIND A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN THE NUMBER MADDEN 2004 DEFAULTS TO FOR THAT PLAYER AND THE EXISTING NUMBER THE PLAYER HAS BEEN ASSIGNED BY ME. IF YOU CHANGE THE NUMBER BY SCROLLING THROUGH THE MADDEN 2004 NUMBER CHOICES, YOU WILL LOSE THE NUMBER ASSIGNMENT I HAVE GIVEN THAT PLAYER IF YOU RE-SAVE THE ROSTER FILE. CHANGING THE PLAYER APPEARANCES MAY ALSO CAUSE INFORMATION EDITS TO BE LOST. MY ADVICE: GO WITH THE ROSTER FILE I HAVE MADE WITH NO CHANGES BEING DONE UNDER "PLAYER MANANGEMENT."

B) Player position reassignments, Player Additions/Deletions, and information edits

When putting the original roster file together, I used information primarily derived from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 2000 Media Guide, Garney Henley's "A Gentleman and a Tiger," and Rufus Crawford's "Rufus Baby." As a result, I made roster position decisions in combination from the available evidence from those sources, my recollection of watching some of those players in action, and accommodating some of the automatic choices made by the create-a-team function as to which side of scrimmage certain players line up.

Subsequently, I was able to get a copy of Zuger9's All-time Hamilton Tiger-Cats Depth Chart (1950 to the present), Version 7 from a link on ticats.ca. Zuger9's project includes detailed info on exactly where some players would line up at the line of scrimmage.

What I have done is edited my roster to better reflect how players lined up on the field in real life. There are differences with my roster compared to Zuger9's depth chart, but I have edited my players to fall into line more closely with his depth chart and player positioning.

In addition, I was able to edit more players' university info to better reflect where the players actually played college ball. Canadian-born players do not fall into this editing. I have gone to footballdatabase.com to get some additional info on player information for those who played some NFL ball and are listed. Canadian players without their university listed in the Madden offerings are listed as "N/A" for their college, along with American players with colleges that aren't listed in Madden Amp. In a couple of cases (Cookie Gilchrist and Pete Neumann), their college status was switched to "No College" -- Gilchrist is listed as having no college experience by footballdatabase.com and Neumann's available info (St. Catherines High School) was gleaned from an eBay football card query. I may be wrong on Neumann not having gone to college. If I find out differently, I will fix this in a future update.

A couple of players that I had at higher weights dropped as a result of my research at databasefootball.com -- Vince Mazza and Ellison Kelly were adjusted accordingly.

The following is a list of the positional changes I have made to the roster, including additions and deletions:

#22 Don Sutherin: moved from CB to FS
#23 Rocky DiPietro: moved from WR to TE
#26 Garney Henley: moved from FS to SS
#27 Paul Bennett: deleted as FS
#28 Lance Shields: created as CB, replaces Paul Bennett on the roster
#43 Frank Robinson: moved from LOLB to ROLB
#53 Joe Montford: moved from RE to LE
#54 Ellison Kelly: moved from RG to LG
#73 Calvin Tiggle: moved from ROLB to MLB
#75 Tommy Joe Coffey: moved from TE to WR
#78 Larry Butler: moved from RG to LG
#92 John Motton: moved from MLB to ROLB

The Bennett deletion was difficult as I always liked him as a player. However, since I moved Don Sutherin to SS, I needed to create a CB spot (Lance Shields) and open a slot for Garney Henley to shift into FS. The Bennett deletion also frees up a 55th roster spot I can use for any emergency additions such as replacing an injured QB with a free agent replacement, etc.

I also updated the player ratings somewhat to reflect the depth chart considerations of Zuger9 in positions where we share the same selections. The existing depth chart for my roster is roughly equivalent to that of Zuger9's project as a result.

An important edit I think if one wants to use this Tiger-Cats team in franchise mode is that I have edited the players' contract length and time remaining to 7 years across the board. The salary cap will have to be turned off as it was for the original roster since the ratings are deliberately juiced to allow competitive exhibition play against all-star historical NFL teams provided in the game.

Most importantly, I have reduced the age of the roster in general to ensure that the core of players will stay together longer. There remains a few players in their late twenties, but the bulk of the roster is set as their early twenties. Buckle up for a long run with these guys! :wink:

C) Team Edits

Please be aware that the generic team city of "Hamilton, New York" remains in effect. One big gaffe in the Madden 2K4 PC version is that if a Canadian team (i.e. in the "state" of Canada) has an outdoor stadium , they can throw snowballs at home games sometime in September! The New York designation is one of convenience to avoid this bug.

I have also altered my Civic Stadium...more cosmetic changes than anything. I have included the midfield logo files for this update, including a "Ticat Champs" midfield logo in the event the team wins the Super Bowl. That logo has the image of the Vince Lombardi Trophy with the word "Steeltown" superimposed on it.

The uniform style has been altered to reflect further research I have done since the first edition of the team was released. I have changed the primary colour of the team to another shade of gold based on the work done by the Society for Sports Uniforms Research at http://ssur.org. They have all major North American sports leagues (college and pro) covered re historical and team jersey colour palettes. For the Ticats, I chose the 1957-1963 palette file at http://www.ssur.org/research/TeamColors ... 66_SOL.jpg . I altered the artwork files accordingly, using SuSE Linux's The GIMP program for the helmet, endzone, and midfield edits. The uniform editor of Madden was used for the jerseys.

These are the Ticat colours in this release:

GOLD
Hex: #FCBD3D
Hue: 40
Saturation: 193
Value: 252
Red: 252
Green: 189
Blue 61

BLACK
Hex: #1E1E1E
Hue: 0
Saturation:0
Value: 30
Red: 30
Green: 30
Blue: 30

WHITE
Hex: #FFFFFF
Hue: 0
Saturation: 0
Value: 255
Red: 255
Green: 255
Blue: 255

GREY:
Hex: #A4A9AD
Hue: 207
Saturation: 12
Value: 173
Red: 164
Green: 169
Blue: 173

Please note that these values are from my colour grabs in Color Pic 4.1 off the ssur.org Ticat palette file referenced above. In using The GIMP (SuSE Linux), IrfanView (Windows XP), Madden Amp 2.3.2 and Madden 2K4 itself for editing the various artwork and uniform aspects, some of these values could not be inputted in every case. When in doubt, input the Red-Green-Blue values at a minimum to best approximate the colours involved.

The net effect is a brighter gold than the one in the first release.

The helmet facemask was changed from black to grey to reflect the colour palette that ssur.org has for that specific era of the Ticats.

The black home jersey is a "combination throwback" -- the rings on the arms are reminiscent of the late fifties uniforms while the gold numbering is a nod to the 1970s and 1980s (my era of watching the team as a boy). The white away jersey is basically unchanged.

The solid gold pants (i.e. no side striping) for the main road and away uniform is a throwback to the heyday of the team in the 1960s.

Some changes were made to the alternate home and away uniforms. The changes were made to make a further distinction between the Ticats and the Steelers when they play head-to-head. The gold alternate home jersey and the alternate home and away black pants are a reflection of that. The base helmet remains the 1970s classic gold helmet with the white-black-white centre stripes.

One more uniform change: the team wears black shoes as they did in the glory years (pre-1975). This is contrast with all other teams in the roster file.

D) Franchise Mode Note

The changes re the uniform reflect the fact that I have edited the team in Madden Amp to substitute for the Buffalo Bills in the AFC East. I have mostly played the squad previously in the AFC North, replacing either the Cincinnati Bengals or Pittsburgh Steelers. With the Steelers' Super Bowl XL victory last February, I decided to re-include the team in all further franchise cycles I will have playing Madden PC version.

In terms of the team playbooks, the default playbooks have been set as West Coast (offense) and Cover 2 (defence). I find these two playbooks work best for me -- being someone who likes to maximize time of possession offensively while adopting a bend-but-don't-break approach defensively to effectively shorten the opponent's capacity to outscore me.

The West Coast playbook's conservatism re deep pass routes can be offset by judicious use of the pre-snap Playmaker function, which allows for deep fly routes or crossing patterns for your primary receiver among other combinations.

Naturally, you can change these settings to your taste in the Settings section of the wheel menu.

My Madden gaming site at http://rustyslair.blogspot.com is the place where I make periodic comments about my football sim experiences. When I happen to upgrade my computer situation, I will check out Madden 2005 and 2006 down the road on the PC since there are user utilities available that permit one to import created franchise files into those games. I plan to get a console (PS2, PS3, or XBox 360) in the next six months, so that is where I will delve into Madden 2007. Check my site out and send me a line if you enjoy it! :wink:

FINAL ACKNOWLEDGMENTS:

I would like to thank Zuger9 for his excellent depth chart and Glenn Sheppard for his artwork efforts. My team relies on their work apart from my research.

Additionally, I would like to thank Adam Provost of ticats.ca for giving me the official all-clear to distribute the retro logo art that is used for my All-Time Ticat team.

Kudos to the Madden lovers of ticats.ca and pcfootball.net.

Thanks to the Society of Sports Uniform Research (ssur.org) for the colour palette.

I hope you enjoy these changes. The number changes alone really help with the realism of the roster. Enjoy!

Russ Harrison
Montreal, Quebec

Hi folks,

No word as yet from Joe Gandolfo in posting my update to my all-Ticat team for Madden 2004 PC version. I will keep you posted.

Here is a copy of my current depth chart:

RUSSELL HARRISON’S ALL-TIME HAMILTON TIGER-CAT TEAM 2.0 (MADDEN 2K4) – DEPTH CHART

Note: almost all the choices I have made personnel-wise reflect the default depth chart for the roster. The changes I have made in franchise mode are in the special teams area (Chuck Ealey as the holder over Danny McManus because of his speed on FG fake run plays and the Edwards-Winfield tandem as kick returners. As rated, there is little difference between the two, although Edwards’s strength rating is higher, assuring less fumbles if heavily hit on a return.

Players are listed according to the order in the depth chart by position.

OFFENSE

QB
Bernie Faloney
Danny McManus
Chuck Ealey

HB
Jimmy Edwards
Rufus Crawford
Johnny Shepherd
Dave Buchanan

FB
Cookie Gilchrist
Willie Bethea

WR
Earl Winfield
Hal Patterson
Tommy Joe Coffey
Darren Flutie
Steve Stapler
Tony Champion

TE
Rocky DiPietro
Tony Gabriel
Paul Dekker

LT
Vince Mazza
Bill Danychuk

LG
Ellison Kelly
Jason Riley

C
Henry Waszczuk
Chet Miksza

RG
Larry Butler
Eddie Bevan

RT
Miles Gorrell
Bronko Nagurski

DEFENCE

LE
Joe Montford
Tim Cheatwood

DT
John Barrow
Angelo Mosca
Mike Walker
Vince Scott

RE
Grover Covington
Pete Neumann
Billy Ray Lockin

LOLB
Bob Krouse
Zeno Karcz

MLB
Ben Zambiasi
Calvin Tiggle

ROLB
Frank Robinson
John Motton

CB
Less Browne
Lewis Porter
Lance Shields
David Shaw
Mark Streeter

SS
Garney Henley
Rob Hitchcock

FS
Don Sutherin
Howard Fields

SPECIAL TEAMS

K
Paul Osbaldiston

P
Joe Zuger

PR
Jimmy Edwards

KR
Jimmy Edwards
Earl Winfield

KOs/Free Kicks
Joe Zuger

LS
Henry Waszczuk

FG Holder
Chuck Ealey

SITUATIONAL

3rd Down RB
Jimmy Edwards

Here is a sample of the uniform colour change. My starting QB, Bernie Faloney, is displayed:

Oski Wee Wee,

Dave Buchanan wore #20.

And oh yes, get a life dude. :twisted:

I have one. Whatever.

[b]Diesel? Vin? Kevin Nash before the gender reassignment?

Dr. Z?????[/b]

"That was a joke!"

Especially for Sean Millington fans...:stuck_out_tongue:

I know about Buchanan. Amazing what you learn 1) watching the guy play live and 2) having a flipping Ticat Media Guide in front of you when researching these things. LOL

He was assigned #23 in the original roster I made. Read below for the reason.

<insert "crayons are a choking hazard" spot here>

#20? Jimmy Edwards and Mark Streeter wore it too, so I assigned it to Edwards in this roster and the previous one. Hope you don't hyperventilate. It is a computer game's all-star team. :smiley:

Having two or more #20s on the field simultaneously might work in some people's catatonic states, but I digress. :smiley: :wink:

Peace out.

Hi folks,

My updated All-Time Ticat team for Madden 2K4 and up (PC version) is at http://www.pcfootball.net/downloads/Mad ... Ver2.0.zip .

The page upon which the file is posted is

[url=http://www.pcfootball.net/downloads/Madden%202004/rosters.htm]http://www.pcfootball.net/downloads/Mad ... osters.htm[/url] .

A ticats.ca user confirmed that he was able to port the team into franchise mode in a higher version of Madden than 2K4. A good bet is using a handy utility called Madden Team Swapper, available at http://www.pcfootball.net/downloads/Mad ... er05-2.zip . Created for Madden 2K5 (PC), it should allow you to import the roster file I've created for franchise mode in all PC versions after 2K4.

If you play with 2K4, you can import it as is.

There may be further tweaking (especially re player information), but the current edition is pretty much the final chapter of this project.

The current version (2.0.1) has an alteration to the gold hue discussed in the opening entry of this thread. The R-G-B values for the gold was adjusted to 251-166-0 since the hue and saturation values of the ssur.org colour palette I used could not be worked into the editing area for uniforms within the Edit Rosters function.

The result is a slightly darker gold than 2.0 but lighter than the first edition.

Please consult the readme and other document files in the zip archive for more information on how the project has evolved.

It is very important to back up all your existing roster and franchise files before importing this roster file into your game!

Thanks again to Zuger9 for his all-time Ticat depth chart, which was the inspiration behind the changes found in the current edition. Kudos to Glenn Sheppard for his artwork efforts that were the basis for the helmet art files in particular.

I hope Madden gamers will enjoy this package. It sure helps shrink that off-season a wee bit! :wink:

Oski Wee Wee,