Unfair Toronto Star article in my opinion.....

I just read this article from this morning's Toronto Star and I think it paints an unfair picture of Mr. Young.

Yes, the team is at a, perhaps unprecedented low, but I really don't see this as being the fault of Bob Young. He has tried and tried over and over to correct things by hiring what even football experts from everywhere agreed were quality football people......it just hasn't clicked yet for whatever reasons...personally I think the instability and uncertainty of the QB situation has eroded a lot of good stuff that should be happening by now.......but is this Mr. Young's fault?....I hardly think so.

I know Young likes to shoulder the blame almost to a fault but in reality, it's not his specific area of expertise to get the most out of the players on the field and game plan for the next week's opponent....or make the correct player personnel moves.

I just think this Toronto Star article takes unfair swipes at Mr. Young and almost hints that he doesn't care.

That's just hogwash in my opinion.

Here's the article:

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/252799

Mike I think this article is actually quite fair & realistic

What can you say, it's Damien Cox writing this. Enough said really.
Maybe my perception of things is all wrong but I continue to believe that certain Toronto media, certain ones, want to see the TiCats fail badly as I believe that they don't want anything to interfere with people in the Golden Horseshoe not going to Toronto and spending their sports entertainment summer dollars on baseball and the Blue Jays. That's my opinion and every time I read something like this article, it just makes me want to support my Cats that much more, I love the Cats and Bob Young no matter what!!! And going to games at IWS and spending my money in Hamilton as much as I can on CFL football!!
Nothing agains't the Jays, all the best to them, but I'm not a big baseball fan and don't plan on becoming one.

Go ahead and say I'm mixing apples and oranges up in a convoluted illogical manner, that's fine.

I don't see anything wrong with the article. Cox is merely pointing out that Young has overseen an era in Hamilton football that has been great on the business side, but nothing short of a debacle on the football side. Why is this owner untouchable in some people's opinion just because he bought the team out of bankruptcy? I don't think the article was disparaging in any way. Cox also points out that the Argos were bought out of bankruptcy at the same time and already have a Grey Cup to show for their efforts. His point about the coaching staff is valid as well.

We should expect more from this organization, from the owner on down.

Expect more, man, Bob and company are bringing in talent and trying to get a winner, if anyone can't see that, well, that's your problem. It's not as easy as baking a cake for pete's sakes.

The best way to respond to this is WIN!

Ok there Damien, I'm going to run to Toronto and spend my money on baseball because you keep telling me Bob Young doesn't have a clue and is a miserable owner. yeah right buddy, here I come. Pathetic Cox, go shovel some more you know what.

Mikey were Bob and you spooning when you read the article?

You just confirmed Cox's point. The fact that we have endured all this misery, yet still get our hackles up if anyone says anything edge-wise about Mr. Young, is nothing short of remarkable. 21st century Tiger-Cat fans are truly super fans.

The perceived criticism in Cox's article is really a compliment to fans like yourself. As opposed to baselessly criticizing Bob Young, Cox is essentially advocating for you. Regardless of your gratitude, you deserve better than what Bob Young has done with your investment as a fan. That's how I took the article, anyways.

What's wrong with the article? It is bang-on. Damien Cox is advocating on behalf of the fans who have patiently put up with abysmal product that the organization has fed us for the last 5 years. We should expect more, but we are not getting it. Even an entertaining but losing team would be better than what we are currently seeing. Thank you Damien Cox for speaking up for the long suffering Ticat fans.

truth hurts…doesn’t it?..I think Cox is bang on

Bunner,
Do I as a fan "deserve better" as you say? Well, on the surface that would be an easy conclusion, just like Leaf fans "deserve better" for all their loyalty.
Fact is, not every team can win. Yes, every team's fans "deserve" a winner of course, that's an easy answer. Yes, we at least "deserve" a team to be in the playoff hunt at least. But getting a winning team isn't like following a simple recipe and voila, out comes a nicely baked cake. It's complex and sometimes the tinkering you are doing building a team doesn't work, time is gone, this player doesn't work out or that one, injuries, coaches don't work out as planned etc. But you keep on tinkering to get it right.
Far too simplistic an outlook that all fans of all teams "deserve" a winner. And I'm not criticizing what you are saying, you are right, it's just that it goes far beyond this in my opinion. It's like working for an employer, not enough to just make money, many people today want to work for an employer that has values and shows a caring attitude towards their employees etc.

Complex systems are involved here, all sorts of things going on running a football team or company, thing will work out as long as you have someone like a Bob Young and company who are looking at the system and all the factors involved, and they are I think.

A Toronto Star writer has sympathy for Ti-Cat fans and you call it unfair?

I'm just happy that he feels for us rather than kicks us when we're down like many writers do.

Come on zen, Cox "feeling" for us? The guy is plain laughing all the way, he couldn't give a darn, he'd love to see the Cats fail, fail, fail all the way in all respects.

This team was a lost cause long before Bob Young. Now at least their not going broke every year.

You got that right Wilson cause if the bills ain't paid, you ain't got no team, period.

I didn’t say you/we deserve a winner, for all the very valid reasons you cite. I said you/we deserve better, i.e. something other than complete mismanagement. Even a vestige of progress would do, but the fact is the franchise has continually regressed over the last few years.

This situation did not come about because “not everyone can win.” Bad luck has little or nothing to do with it. This situation originated, and continues, because of gross incompetence, as Mr. Young himself has frequently stated.

I am just as grateful (probably more) as the next guy that Mr. Young “saved” the franchise. But in many ways one can no longer even fool themselves into subscribing to that old sop. It is the lowest of sports management’s lowest common denominators.

The Tiger-Cats may still technically exist as a corporate entity, but the soul of this team has been destroyed. This franchise is a zombie. I hate to say it, and I don’t like it any better than you do, but unfortunately that doesn’t make it any less true.

The reason I think it's an unfair article is for two reasons:

Damien Cox did nothing but slag our owner and being a sports writer who presumedly studies the game, he should know that Mr. Young has always taken the best advice available to him and not been afraid to shake things up to somehow find the answers for the fans.

The second reason I find this article unfair is that he doesn't take the time to offer some possible, constructive solutions because no matter how bad the team is, we all know that solutions must invariably be found.

I think his underlying message of the entire article is to tell Ticats fans to throw in the towel and stay away because we're being somehow "ripped off" because the team is going through a crisis on the field.

He fails miserably to mention that pretty much every football expert in Canada was predicting a Grey Cup appearance for the Ticats last year......on paper at least. So was that Mr. Young's fault the team fell on it's collective faces?...he can only do so much as an owner without having to resort to meddling in the football offices.

Cox also forgets that the Argos looked pretty awful without Bishop, so in reality, they too are only one hit away from sinking into the abyss....both team's fortunes hang on the quarterback position and sadly, the Ticats just haven't got a "Michael Bishop".....yet

Cox needs to stop the attempt at torpedoing our fanbase without offering a tangible solution to our woes at least.

We're down right now.....we need Damien Cox to tell us that and further lay the boots to us?

I think they where Right on this mikey
There where errors Cause I don't they have won Grey cup.

There are some nice building blocks in Hamilton
Good Front 8 Jackson look like Final Peace their.
Our Linebackers are Very good.

Our Kicker is good
Our RB is Good
Some Good young Canadians

are American Tallent is still pretty Bad.
Our Coaches staff has major Problems.

[b]The reason I think it’s an unfair article is for two reasons:

Damien Cox did nothing but slag our owner and being a sports writer who presumedly studies the game, he should know that Mr. Young has always taken the best advice available to him and not been afraid to shake things up to somehow find the answers for the fans.

The second reason I find this article unfair is that he doesn’t take the time to offer some possible, constructive solutions because no matter how bad the team is, we all know that solutions must invariably be found.

I think his underlying message of the entire article is to tell Ticats fans to throw in the towel and stay away because we’re being somehow “ripped off” because the team is going through a crisis on the field.

He fails miserably to mention that pretty much every football expert in Canada was predicting a Grey Cup appearance for the Ticats last year…on paper at least. So was that Mr. Young’s fault the team fell on it’s collective faces?..he can only do so much as an owner without having to resort to meddling in the football offices.

Cox also forgets that the Argos looked pretty awful without Bishop, so in reality, they too are only one hit away from sinking into the abyss…both team’s fortunes hang on the quarterback position and sadly, the Ticats just haven’t got a “Michael Bishop”…yet

Cox needs to stop the attempt at torpedoing our fanbase without offering a tangible solution to our woes at least.

We’re down right now…we need Damien Cox to tell us that and further lay the boots to us?[/b]

Well said Mikey. Maybe just me but I find after reading an article like this, in all places like the TORONTO STAR, just makes me love our Cats that much more. Thanks Damien, you done good my man!