UFL could be dead soon Mean Free Agents for the CFL

+2

Preach, sir, preach.

I keep reading quotes from idiots on Facecrack about the UFL and the CFL. A ton of people are saying that the UFL and CFL should have their champions play each other and some other moron said he’d rather see the UFL fold than merge with the AFL or CFL. Like are you serious? What on earth would even make these people think that the CFL would even sniff the UFL? A well established 100 year old league who’s seen MANY leagues come and go versus a league that’s played two half seasons and is bleeding money. These people seriously need a head shake.

Gosh here i am on the internet following my favorite football team . Wanna be american ??? whats it to you … . I could give a rats behind where a player comes from the C in CFL to me means “Canadian style” not "can only be Canadians playing "
and why bring up the NFL i didn’t mention that league
You can bash the NFL all you want won’t hurt my feeling one little bit (they do have better fans tho) we actually have fans that go to the games :wink:
I’d rather see teams field the best players they can and strive for success every year not settle for suckiness because of what it says on the players passports
And like i said if it was ANYTHING else any other industry or any job people will be screaming out discrimination
Now before you say any crap about me remember thats the second time you trolled my posts now go mature some you little man

OH and you can be darn sure that if Canada could produce good enough football players they would be invited to play with the big boys … look at the NHL … not many “AMERICANS” playing on the american based teams.

If I altered the ratio at all it would be to include more Canadian content not less
And where would we find more Canadians to play football? That's all we need less Arland Bruces and Williams and Glenns, less exciting players! There are not enough Canadian players out there, we don't have enough universities turning out quality football players. What is the correct ratio, why 15 why not 10, how do they determine the number? we just don't have enough talented Canadians. I know that if you increased the content you would have a lot of fans turning their back on the CFL. With fewer Canadians you would win over a lot more fans especially the Canadian NFL fans who call the CFL bush league. They would come out in droves if we dropped the Canadian content rule.

The C in CFL means Canadian Rules - you can make a case that the CFL is more entertaining because of the 3 downs, the wider field, the longer field, no "fair Catch, the bigger end zone, the motion, the single point, the extra Two players on the field. All these rules make Canadian football more entertaining, but having Canadian players on the field does not add any excitement or entertainment to the game.

Same old stuff from Mikem. I’m afraid you are a “one trick pony”. I’d rather watch some kid from McMaster play for the Cats than somebody from the University of Roast Beef in Idaho. But that’s just me.

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

And now back on topic ...

If the UFL does indeed fold up then the CFL of course should look at what is out there and make an offer to anyone who is qualified enough to make the CFL cut why not get the best you can find from anywhere

Another crack at Canada. We do produce good football players DYCK (isn’t that a short form for Richard? Don’t sweat it. You can call me Al.) We just don’t churn them out, because as you mentioned, hockey is what all the kids love here. Too bad. I don’t even like hockey half as much as any type of football, including the UFL. I’m envious of America in that regard, and would happily trade you for Hockey any day. I was more excited about meeting Avon Cobourne and his shiny Grey Cup ring than I was about meeting Ray Emery and his lovely girlfriend. Hockey schmockey. Let’s talk about football.

I love the NFL. I don’t know what about my post implied I didn’t. More misinformation. Tricky RYCKY. Im not complaining about the league being full of Americans or that our boys don’t get a fair chance down there (which they don’t IMO). That’s life. Im very active in Fantasy League Football and devote a great deal of time to it. Needless to say I was happy to finally register my team last night (Vicks Dogcatchers…keep your eyes peeled for me on NFL.com as I plan on being #1) and am looking forward to the live draft next week.

Now as far as you guys having better fans, I gotta give ya that one. Your fans don’t need Football 101. Ours do. Nothing is more frustrating to me than the fact that at least where I sit (for now) people don’t even make noise when we don’t have the ball. Worse, they complain about the noise myself and a few others are making. Don’t even get me started about standing up. Was it like that at IWS when you were there too RYCK? I’m trying to change things. One game at a time.

I am jealous of Americas football culture. 93000+ fans or so per game for the Jags no? Been trolling your signatures too. Do you guys stand on D? Do you need your best defensive players to record lame videos practically begging you to? Probably not. But that’s a rant for another thread.

The CFL stands for the Canadian Football League. Not the Canadian Rules Football League. That would be the CRFL.

ok first of my name is not richard and my name is not DYCK so keep your derogatory name calling to yourself. Second I do not make cracks at Canada that would be like making cracks against myself ..and saying canada doesn't produce alot of football players is not a crack its reality face it thats just the way it is.

This is the first year in about 17 that i only plan on attending 1 game at IWS i know first hand at how tame the crowd can get there when they need to be cheering and making some noise but it's not limited to IWS .. alot of canadian venues are like that and not just in football thats just the way it is that may never change i've never known it to be too noisy there ..the fan comment was directed at people actually getting off their butts and going to the games Jacksonville at the time i posted my sig was averaging about 60 thousand whats that about 3 times the attendance of IWS and jacksonville has close to the same population and the Florida Gators a little trip down the road has about 90 thousand ( they have way more support here tied to the length of time here and the winning records ) and no it doesn't take much to get all those people to cheer and make noise

There have been way more insults towards the NFL and Americans on this site than i have EVER heard from people down here that were aimed towards Canada or the CFL. It's about enough to make me wonder why Canadians think they are so loved around the world when they are so insulting and while i am Canadian my wife and kids are American so i'll speak back

I have no problem with your views on who should play in the CFL i happen to have a different view and always have i just think they should get the best players they can find and afford no matter where they come from . But i wouldn't call you a dick or anything because of it like you seem to have on more than 1 occasion .. yet earlier in this thread i called you stupid and i got a warning and it was erased by a moderator ... did you get a warning for that ? am kind of curious to know

so go ahead keep disagreeing thats fine with me i'll admit anytime i am wrong but don't be so insulting it'll be more fun that way :wink:

Agreed RYCK. My apologies. I get a little bent out of shape sometimes. I love my country.

As far as getting a warning, nothing yet but I’m sure one is forthcoming.

If there were no CFL Canadian ratio the Canadian University football programs would probably cease to exist.
The Canadian Highschool football programs would cease to exist also.
IMHO the CFL would just become farm teams for the NFL if it existed at all.
When an NFL team got an injury, one of our best players would be moved up.
Without the ratio the CFL would NOT improve, it would perish.(like NFL Europe)
We have our own league and it has never been so sucessful(except in Ontario)
With inevitable expansion coming, perhaps 3 more teams we may not be able to have enough Canadian players to adequately fill those roster spots so the league could slightly reduce or change the ratio accordingly as they did when the disasterous expansion into the States happened.

This is what people that don’t like the ratio don’t get. The bigger picture.

You clearly do. :thup:

While I enjoy rooting for Canadian players, I really don’t give much thought to the ratio argument, but Grover’s post makes a lot of sense, and demonstartes to me, quite clearly, why it is important to have the ratio. Terrific post!

I disagree with this. If it were true, there would be no other sports programs either. It’s rare for a CIS hockey player to go pro anywhere, for example, and yet there are more CIS hockey teams than there are CIS football teams, and they play about twice as many games per season. There would also be no women’s sports, because, women’s pro sports are not really a money maker anywhere (unlike the US, there aren’t gobs of money coming in from men’s basketball and football to support other sports and other genders).

Homecoming football games are huge at Queen’s even when Queen’s cancels homecoming, yet people here hardly give a rip about the CFL.

When the import rules were relaxed post-US-experiment, did we see a decline in CIS football? The Carleton Ravens left, but the Laval Rouge et Or started up around same time. Furthermore, the Ravens are coming back despite these relaxed requirements.

I don’t think obliterating the ratio rules would matter all that much in terms of the survival of CIS programs.

Canadian hockey CIS Canadian football CIS are not one in the same.
Canadian hockey CIS hockey teams are filled with CHL overage players that earned paid scholarships to Canadian universities by playing in the CHL.
Hockey in Canada is like the NFL in the States it is #1!
Womens sports and Basketball are all on scholarships from Highschool sports and amateur leagues.
If their were no ratio in the CFL we would become a feeder league to the NFL exactly like the AHL to the NHL.
The CFL feeder league is the CIS.

Hockey was just an example. Basketball then. There is no Canadian pro league comparable to the CFL, no junior league comparable to the CHL, and, thought it may have happened, I’m not aware of a single CIS basketball player that made it to the NBA. And yet, despite this, there are more than 40 CIS basketball teams.

There are 10 CIS men’s sports, and 11 CIS women’s sports. Out of all of these, there is only 1, football, that plays the role as a feeder for a professional league in Canada. There are numerous sports other sports in the OUA that aren’t CIS sports.

I get that football is different because that’s where many CFL players come from. But that doesn’t prove that CIS football needs the CFL to survive. Other CIS programs survive despite the fact that they’re not feeder leagues for anybody, which suggests that a professional destination is not required for a program to survive.

Besides, if you want CIS football to survive, why wouldn’t you support them directly, instead of indirect support by supporting ratio rules? Do CIS programs even get any financial benefit from being a feeder league to the CFL?

Pi-Cat I fully understand what you are saying and I cannot be sure of whether CIS Football would survive without the CFL,
IMHO it would not.
I am a fan of the ratio to keep our great game strong in our country.
CIS Basketball program is very inexpensive, 13 players,2 or 3 coaches and equipment manager inexpensive equipment and uniforms,inexpensive travel etc. gymnasiums packed with student fans.
Most players are on scholarships from highschool.
most other sports are the same.
CIS Football is very expensive to operate,40 players, weight rooms,very expensive equipment,trainers, 5-6 coaches,video, stadiums,etc..
Most CIS football players are on scholarships from highschool football programs also.
Does the CFL pay for players drafted from CIS to support their programs?
Does the CFL do anything to help the CIS football program?
I do not know, but it is a very good question!

I’m going to reply to both topics on this thread…

The UFL:
Seems like even if season 3 is played it may be played without the Hartford Colonials. It will be played as a 4 team league and there will be no Season 4 if new money doesn’t come in (TV, sponsors, etc…) It’s a shame because more football is always a good thing.

The Ratio:
I like the idea of some type of ratio. Simply for the fact that some Canadian players come up in their football careers dreaming about playing in the CFL while 99.9% of Americans that end up playing in the CFL probably never had the same feelings. I like having young Canadian kids coming up and fulfilling their dreams.

That being said…

I also want to see the best! So, in my opinion, with the CIS being so weak (lets be honest… it’s bad football)… I think that we might not exactly have enough talent to meet these ration requirements. Especially if we add anymore teams. I would not mind seeing a ration more around 30-40% Non Import.