Two CFL quaterbacking legends wrong about Anthony Cavillo

I found this item in the Toronto Sun. I'm not sure if anyone else had a look at it, but I found it interesting that two greats at the position did not see then what we're seeing now in Anthony Cavillo. It's especially ironic since it is anticipated that he will break another record tonight.

[url=http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/13/russ-jackson-miss-read-anthony-calvillo]http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/13/ru ... y-calvillo[/url]

Yes they were wrong, but at the time he wasn’t doing much for Hamilton. Would he have developed into a great QB if we had kept him?
Does having the “stats” make you a great QB? Was Damon Allen the greatest QB in CFL history because he broke most of the records? Kevin Glen set all kinds of stats records last year, the most yardage, the most TDs etc so that must make him the greatest Ticat QB ever.
In my opinion Doug Flutie was the greatest QB I have every seen in the CFL. He was a great passer and scrambler, I’ve never seen a QB that could make something happen out of broken plays or a sure sack. How many times did was chased around and then the last second he would dump the ball off or keep the ball himself, just exciting to watch.
He doesn’t have the “stats” because he didn’t play her for 15 or 20 years.

This letter to the editor and attached comments was in The Spec today:

ie: Quinton Porter another Calvillo in the making

[url=http://www.thespec.com/opinion/letters/article/563275--quinton-porter-another-calvillo-in-the-making]http://www.thespec.com/opinion/letters/ ... the-making[/url]

It's certainly food for thought 8)

The Tiger Cats were not patient enough to let Anthony develope. The Tiger Cats wanted Anthony to excell with an Oline that is even worse than the present bunch. I sat in the stands on several occasions and watched Anthony throw for over 500 yards. The Tiger Cats are famous for giving up on a development player - except for Quinton Porter. If he can slow the game down in his head and make quicker second and third reads - the sky is the limit. I also believe Boltrus has a bright future as well. THe kid has a rifle for an arm.

They weren't "wrong". They thought that Calvillo wasn't the right guy for Hamilton at the time, and in that, they were 100% correct. As Russ is quoted as saying in the article "I told him I didn’t think he was going to be successful if he stayed in Hamilton."

To put it bluntly, Hamilton was a completely toxic environment for Calvillo at the time, and the change of scenery to Montreal was exactly what he needed.

As Russ is quoted in the article:
"I think so much of it was the pressure then. He didn’t seem to be able to handle it. It was like everything got to him."
"And I can’t tell you this would have ever happened to him had he stayed in Hamilton."

Everyone and their dog was already talking about Calvillo's potential to become "one of the greats" in those days. But that potential clearly wasn't being realized in Hamilton. The chance to reboot his career with Tracy Ham as a mentor and Mike Pringle to hand the ball to is the best thing that ever happened to him.

Montreal 's gain and obviously Hamilton's lose.

There was an interesting interview on TSN radio this morning with Jim Popp and he says that he knew Calvillo was something special when at 21 with a real bad Las Vegas team he picked Baltimore apart. Baltimore would eventualy go on to win the GC that year from memory.

He says Calvillo's problems in Hamilton's was they couldn't protect him and he lost confidance. He added just ask Matt Dunnigan...about that one.

So someone saw something special in him and made a lot of money il large part because of Anthony's success :wink:

Also mentions that one of AC's quality that makes him great is that he's had success with a number of different coach and systems. His ability to adapt to change and grow is very rare, who can argue ?

I think we saw some of these same flashes out of Quinton , problem is he's not 21 but 29. Changes a lot of things.

They were wrong because AC could have sat behind Macmanus the same way he did behind Ham. Ron didn’t care for him and they just wanted him gone.

They were wrong because AC could have sat behind Macmanus the same way he did behind Ham. Ron didn't care for him and they just wanted him gone.

They were wrong because AC could have sat behind Macmanus the same way he did behind Ham. Ron didn't care for him and they just wanted him gone.

They were wrong because AC could have sat behind Macmanus the same way he did behind Ham. Ron didn’t care for him and they just wanted him gone.

POS MRX forum... not even going to bother editing... Fix it.

One important point missed here: Calvillo ASKED for his his release and was given it by Lancaster. We can debate how much handwriting was on the given wall here that made AC ask for it with the impending McManus signing in 1998, but that is the truth of how it went down. Anything else is revisionism.

AC had to leave Hamilton. If anyone ever needed a new start, it was him. CFL history is much richer because of it, IMHO

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?fid=11117 [url=http://www.thestar.com/article/732200--cox-anthony-calvillo-man-on-a-mission]http://www.thestar.com/article/732200-- ... -a-mission[/url]

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

AC today is the same QB that existed in Hamilton but he has had 3 KEY things that have made him the QB he is today.

1. Mr. Popp has organized and proven to surround AC with sure talent.
  2. An Offensive line deep with talent
  3. A receiving core deep with talent
    ......and a TEAM that continues to have a work to win mentality where losing doesn't cut it nor is it accepted.....they've called a spade a spade for years and the coaches never make excuses of come across as mediorce.
:cowboy:

Anthony was booed mercilessly by the Hamilton fans for playing his heart out in a bizzaro-world offense.
The same offense that ended Dunnigans career and claimed the 2nd stringer.
Next season it was Lancaster and that interception machine buddy of his.

As the records fall this year, I just hope we'll be able to read some Calvillo stories without every one of them re-telling the tale of how Hamilton once cut him loose. I must have read that story 50 times over the years.

When Damon Allen was breaking records, I don't recall every article talking about how he left Edmonton ... or Ottawa ... or Hamilton ... or Edmonton (again) ... or Memphis ... or B.C.

The interception machine that is being inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame this year...yeah that guy. He was in a different offense than AC in Hamilton during the 1998-1999 Grey Cup run (RD Lancaster as OC as opposed to John Jenkins).

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

Oh yeah! I ran into Danny Mac when I was walking my dog behind MacMaster a few years ago.
He looked kinda lost, and I said to him, "no DB's to be found around here!'.
He zinged me back like Chris Rock. Still hurts.