Tucker RE-SIGNS with Eskies

[url=http://www.sportsnet.ca/cfl/article.jsp?content=20060216_000450_4916]http://www.sportsnet.ca/cfl/article.jsp ... 00450_4916[/url]

http://www.sportsnet.ca/images/sportsnet_story_images/football/tucker_jason240.jpg

Jason Tucker caught five passes for 46 yards in the 2005 Grey Cup, which Edmonton won over Montreal.

Sportsnet.ca -- Sportsnet's Football Insider Eric Tillman has learned Jason Tucker has agreed to terms with the Edmonton Eskimos on a new multi-year contract only hours before he was expected to be among the most sought after free agents in the CFL marketplace.

Free agency officially began at 12:01 ET on Thursday, February 16.

Tucker, who is regarded by many as one of the CFL's elite talents, caught 89 passes in 2005 and was a key factor in the Eskimos championship run. His 1,411 receiving yards led the league in that category.

The Texas Christian graduate joined the Eskimos in 2002 after playing in the National Football League (Cincinnati & Dallas) and NFL Europe (Rhine Fire). He was named NFC Special Teams Player of the Month in December of 1999. Against New Orleans that month he had six kickoff returns for a Cowboys club record of 203 yards. Additionally, in that single game, he had seven receptions for 128 yards and a touchdown.

Not at all surprising he's won grey cups with them, he is the go to receiver and is probably the teams most talented player on either side of the ball. Unless something goes horribly awry in the next 7-10 years I see him spending his entire career in edmonton

…we all knew Huey wasn’t going to let this guy slip away…he must have got a great raise…good for him…hope he plays out his career in the CFL… :!:

........yeah, kinda figured he wouldn't leave, he is top man there and can pretty much call his own shots at this point......good signing for the shmoes....

[url=http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Eskimos/2006/02/16/1445675-sun.html]http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Eskim ... 5-sun.html[/url]

Jason Tucker and the Edmonton Eskimos definitely have a flair for the dramatic.

The league's leading receiver has agreed to stay with the Green and Gold after reaching a deal with just hours to spare before last night's free-agent deadline.

According to a CFL source, the two sides have a verbal agreement for a new contract that will keep the perennial all-star in Edmonton.

A signed and delivered contract is the only step remaining before it becomes official with the CFL head office in Toronto.

Neither Tucker nor his Chicago-based agent Joe Coletta was available for comment late last night.

The Edmonton Eskimos didn't release any information on the new deal.

"The club can't confirm or deny the report," said Dave Jamieson, the Esks' director of communications.

TOPPING ALL RECEIVERS

Tucker was set to become the highest-profile player on the free-agent market at 10 p.m. (MT) last night.

After topping all receivers in the league last year with 1,411 yards on 89 catches, there was widespread speculation suggesting Tucker would receive $200,000 per year offers on the open market.

With his remarkable resume - three Grey Cup appearances and two championship rings in four years in Edmonton - the offers from competing teams could have even reached $250,000.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Saskatchewan Roughriders, Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Ottawa Renegades were all rumoured to be in the running for his services.

With former Edmonton quarterback Jason Maas now guiding the ship in Hamilton, the Tabbies were considered the most likely destination, if Tucker didn't reach a deal with the Esks.

The Sun had also learned early yesterday that the Renegades had set aside $300,000 to sign George Hudson and Josh Ranek, but were about to lose them to free agency, meaning they had the money to sign Tucker.

By reaching a new deal with the Eskimos, the six-foot-two, 180-pound ball hawk will likely celebrate his 30th birthday by playing against the Renegades at Commonwealth Stadium on June 24.

The question now is ...what about Sandy Annunziata and Shannon Garrett, who have entered the free agent market.

Although the Esks reached deals with Tucker, Randy Spencer and Malcolm Frank yesterday before the free-agent feeding frenzy began, Annunziata and Garrett are on the market.

BACK-TO-BACK GREY CUPS

Annunziata isn't in the high-profile league, but firmly believes teams should be interested in his offensive lines services.

"I am a back-to-back Grey Cup winner and I'm going for a three-peat, so you would think a lot of teams would want to hitch their wagon to this horse," said Annunziata, who won the 2004 Grey Cup with Toronto.

Although he's sincerely interested in returning to Edmonton, he would gladly play with Maas in Hamilton.

"Hamilton is in my backyard," he remarked from his home in southern Ontario. "Jason is a great competitor and any time he was under centre, taking snaps from me, it felt very comfortable."

Hamilton only has two starting lineman from the beginning of the 2005 season under contract.

As for Garrett, coach Danny Maciocia believes competing teams will chase the veteran halfback.

"It wouldn't surprise me if other teams call him," said the coach, "asking him what it will take for them to lure him their way."

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Eskimos/2006/02/16/edmesk.jpg

In the poll, he was picked as most likely to re-sign with his club. Looks like we made a good call on that one.

I knew he wasn't coming to Hamilton; there were too many teams that would have been bidding on him if he had become a free agent. People talked about him "re-uniting with Jason Maas", but it was always more likely he would stay with Ricky Ray. He was the league's top receiver last year with Ray as his QB.

Good luck to him and the Eskimos. They'll be a worthy opponent for the Ticats in November. :smiley:

hey PIGSEYE its jsut a verbal deal..go wake up taman from is sctoch induced doze and tell him to offer him the house

jm02...can you translate that please....its too early in the morning to de-code posts! :wink:

Good signing for the Esks.

Thinking out loud....

Wonder how Huey's going to hide all these salaries?

he doesnt have to hes commisioner

Correction.....he just THINKS he's the commissioner.....

so does everyone else lol.....your all jealous that we have a guy like him as our GM...33 years in the playoffs and counting

.......as much as it pains me I do believe '05 was year 34.......

raw…we ll let Taman sleep it off…you can keep Tucker, just as long he keeps eating up cap room…

well tucker is cheaper then your over priced pigeon toed new linebacker,,,have fun having barrin eating out of your cap for the next 4 years at 200,000 grand a year

..........if it goes that long........remember, contracts are not 'guarenteed' so Taman may be waving the big bucks only for this year, a one-shot for glory to make the GC in his backyard.....

has anyone else noticed that barrin simpson is pigeon toed?? i noticed it last year but knowone said anything

Who care?

rawKK cares.....still think they're the same person......

now ro1313..i know your mad the libs are down and out but you can still be nice :wink:

WOW!
Is that the best you can do?
Sad, very very sad.