TSN's Top 50 CFL List thread

Well based on the responses, some people do.

The guy has passed for over 50 thousand yards and did it in less time than anyone else in that club. Lancaster threw alot of INTS but people dont talk about that do they?

Danny was robbed, plain and simple.

Of course Danny McManus should be on the list .
He's good enough to be on a framed plaque with fellow all time yardage passers Damon Allen and Ron Lancaser hanging on my Rec room wall.

DM has been an excellent QB but who in the top 50 would you drop to make room for him? Every one of them deserves to be there. I think the selectors got it right--he makes the honor role with a lot of other fine players; just not top 50.

An Argo fan

Their list of "Favorite fifty" is a more accurate summary....
Who would I remove ,easy ,but I'm not telling,I just think favorite is a accurate politically correct way ....Oh ...OK ..Chris Walby,but we must need Offensive linemen to be balanced,no offense to Chris ,but Bernie Faloney rates higher than Damon Allen,and a whole lot more of these guys .He should be up there with Etchevary and Parker in my books...!!!
Danny Mac over Damen Allen for example,.....
on my Fav/Top list...

Just a note regarding the selection ceremony...

TSN broadcasted the announcement of Doug Flutie at the start of the 6:30 sports news; Brian Williams was at the podium to make the big announcement. As Doug was announced and came forward there was a drunk in a Stamps #50 jersey standing right on stage!!!

I mean, c'mon! Who puts these things together? Do you suppose that would have happened anywhere else? Hello! Security!

Embarrassing...

[url=http://torontosun.com/Sports/Football/2006/11/18/2404679-sun.html]http://torontosun.com/Sports/Football/2 ... 9-sun.html[/url]

Good on the league to put this out and remind fans of some of the greats.

Thanks to all the players, on and off the list for their great contributions to canadian football.

Thanks ,for posting Simmons collumn.
I agree that Damon Allen benifited from the timing .
But how could Bernie Faloney be left off this list?
Voters (sports writers and so on)are just too young and never researched the CFL enough …thats the fair answer.

The only thing "PLAIN and SIMPLE" are those minds that BELIEVE Danny McManus belongs on that list.

It is NO COINCIDENCE that an ARGO FAN would be able to ACCEPT REALITY - while a whole host of DELUSIONAL Tiger Cat fans cry "Danny wuz robbed !" ...

The FACT is, Danny McManus was HAMILTON's BEST QB for quite some years ... emphasis on Hamilton.

Perhaps those RESPONSIBLE for compiling this list REALIZED that Danny spent a few seasons HANGING AROUND the CFL on a team that was too INEPT to find a higher Calibre QB. Simply put, Danny padded his stats on some of the WORSTE Football teams in CFL History. If not for the existence of the Hamilton Tiger Cats - Danny McManus' days as a STARTER would have ENDED LONG before they did.

Again, this 'debate' is ONLY occurring in this forum, where a few DIE HARD McManus fans never miss an opportunity to WORSHIP KING DANNY ! The rest of Planet CFL can accept Danny's place in the annals as a SOLID QB for several CFL seasons, and all around good guy.

Peace.

Ummm Mean Danny Mac played for other teams where he was very successful and if he was as average as you say he is why oh why did he play so long ???

How did he throw for all those yards and win the Grey Cups he did ?? If stats dont matter then why do they keep them ?? I dont understand your logic that he is an average QB . Average QBS dont play for as long as he has and accomplish what he has if they dont have talent . How did he play all season for the second best team in the CFL if he has no talent ??

Explain to me how Fernandez is way ahead of Vaughn ??? Do numbers which mirror a great carreer not matter ??? What one has done should matter a whole lot more than what someone THINKS another player MAY have done . No matter what we think of a player the numbers tell the story !!!!

I too find it strange how some people are obsessed with McManus.

On the one hand, you have the people who come on the Ticat fan website to get behind the team’s all-time leading QB. They realize that we’ve only had 5 winning seasons since 1990, and that Danny was our QB for 4 of them. And that he brought us our only Grey Cup of the past 20 years,

On the other side, are the people who cannot bear to let a single mention go by without jumping on to slam that same QB of that same team of which they too claim to be fans. Presumably such posters go to Star Trek conventions to tell people that Star Wars was better, and visit the race track to rant against the sins of gambling.

There are people who like to worship their own heroes, and then there are people whose only contribution is to shoot down the heroes of others. Over and over and over and over again.

habman: Realistically, Danny Mac may have had little or no career if it weren’t for Darren Flutie bailing him out of so many jams, game after game.
His interception rate was high because he was to slow to get out of the pocket, hence he is acclaimed for his quick release.

To make the top 50, it seems to me that as a quarterback, you have to be able to do it all, (run, pass and run options, quick kick, etc) and Danny never could. His 50,000 yard seasons can be attributed to great protection until the last few seasons and Darren Flutie.

In terms of the last few seasons, Hamilton’s offensive lines left a lot to be desired and Danny couldn’t hack it with the poor protection, whereas a Chuck Ealey or Tom Clements could have moved out of the pocket and completed passes anyway.

I love the line that Darren Flutie made Danny look good.
I'm sure the two of them would chuckle over a dounut about that one.

Darren was talking as commentator on a CBC game about how he learned to run a pass pattern down towards the sideline, a fade or something(?),he commented ,guess who taught me that?
Danny McManus was his answer..
Now the other comment that makes me wonder about inferiority complexes is that no other site s are having this debate ,well if they were would that add credibility to it?
Heck the Argos don't even have a site that people talk on for real.
I mean Dick Shatto should be on this list and Joe Krol should be way up there higher on the list ,but they are Argos and before my time to boot,so I don't go there.

George Reed made Ronny look good as well as Hugh Campbell saved Ron's bacon .

Is it me or does ranking Less Browne at 23 seem alitte off, there are alot of players ranked below him that should be ahead of him.

Look X-Pat ... IF somebody is going to THROW the hangin' curve over the plate ... I'm goin' to HIT IT every time ...

There is not a SINGLE football fan who can take, from Danny McManus, the CREDIT he DESERVES ... need I REPEAT, the guy was a solid Qb for several seasons ... but if Hamilton was being run like a PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATION that gave a damn (like it is now for example) then Danny McManus would NOT have been starting the last 3 or 4 seasons for the Tiger Cats. He was simply MANNING THE SHIP ... yeah he could (and did) 'do it' but he was OVERWHELMINGLY MEDIOCRE in the final few seasons of his career ... and DESERVINGLY EXCLUDED from the ALL-TIME 50 list. Period.

Peace.

Now the other comment that makes me wonder about inferiority complexes is that no other site s are having this debate ,well if they were would that add credibility to it?
the reason there is no discussion anywhere else is because everyone else knows Danny doesnt deserve to be on the list. In spite of the fluky 94 cup run, Danny basically sucked the whole time he was in BC. Too many games lost because of his stupid ints at the worst of times. If you were truly objective, you would also realize how much he sucked in Hamilton once he was without Darren.
Explain to me how Fernandez is way ahead of Vaughn ??? Do numbers which mirror a great carreer not matter ??? What one has done should matter a whole lot more than what someone THINKS another player MAY have done
it isnt about numbers, its about how good. Merv was the best. He proved here, and he proved by having a career in the NFL that Vaughn and others could not have. He was way more exciting than vaughn to watch. He did things one on one that vaughn could not.

You guys are missing the point . The numbers are thier for a reason . I dont care if you didnt like Danny Mac , he doesnt care either . The fact remains that HE DID PUT UP THE YARDS PASSED . When you look at the list when they put it up on the screen his name is right thier along with Flutie , Ronny Lancaster and Damon Allen . It will always be thier whether you like it or not . To say he wasnt very good at the end of his carreer is moot.

It`s pretty funny reading about how you guys dont think he was any good . If you said that to somebody who actually played in the CFL they would laugh at you because they played or coached against him and they know he put up yards and wins and Grey Cups against them . 

You still havent explained how Fernandez got ahead of Vaughn . They actually stopped the games when Allen and Vaughn broke thier respective records so it must mean something to the CFL that these records were broke . Fernandez only played in 83 games , hardly a great number of games to judge somebody as the TOP 50 of all time !!!!!

Habman, it's like ART - you either GET IT, or you DON'T ... clearly, there is SOMETHING about the game of football you DON'T GET.

I will ask you ... of those 83 games Mervyn Fernandez played - How many did you watch ?

Myself, I can't tell you the exact number of games I watched Swervin' Mervyn play, but it was ENOUGH to AGREE with his relative placement on the list ... the guy was POETRY IN MOTION, he was a GAMEBREAKER, he was an IMPACT PLAYER ... Mervyn Fernandez glided over the turf like a THOROUGHBREAD horse ... in short he was an AMAZING ATHLETE who's numbers DON'T TELL the whole story.

Peace.

P.S - In a bit of a DIGRESSION ... it is my FIRM and UNSHAKEABLE belief that BO JACKSON is the SINGLE GREATEST Running back in the history of football. There are no numbers to back it up, and he played a very short career ... BUT, I don't need STATS to tell me how good a player is.