TSN vs Sportsnet

I fear Rogers' new, historic $5B deal with the NHL is leaving TSN in the dust.

TSN does a teriffic job with the CFL. Have down so for years now, but I still wish Rogers would buy some CFL rights and partner with the Argos somehow.

Surely they can make money from the CFL, whether they have NFL dreams or not.

[url=http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/4236199-nhl-rogers-reach-12-year-broadcast-deal-worth-5-2-billion/]http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/423 ... 2-billion/[/url]

Rogers would probably want ALL of the rights not just a few games. It is a big blow to TSN, if you look at the RDS ratings alone they average well above the 800,000 for Canadiens hockey. The Stanley Cup playoffs on TSN were close to 2 Million and that is not far behind CBC which had the Canadian teams and the Friday/Saturday night games. So much for people saying that the CBC would score better just because they are not a cable channel.

mikey......You are throwing numbers around and not providing proof where they come from so all of us can see if what you are saying is real or mikeyism's..........A lot of TSN NHL playoff coverage is about two American teams , to get 2 million Canadian viewers for every game is a bit unbelievable , I am not saying it is not true but it is hard to fathom.

Also, Bell Media were in the running for these new NHL rights , they were obviously outbid........or they chose to be somewhat more fiscally responsible then Rogers.

It sure looks now as if TSN got a bargain for the new CFL rights.

Piror to the new TV deal with TSN this year, Rogers was interviewed, and said they HAD looked at the Argos, but determined they could not make money on them without having the entire CFL as a package (for tv rights). So just the Argos as a team aren't worth much if they don't get Tv rights, which does sound correct to me.

Back in 2004, Sportsnet carried 5 CFL games.

Calgary @ Saskatchewan, Sunday, June 20 at 2 p.m. (MT)/ 4 p.m. (ET) on Sportsnet West

Ottawa @ Toronto, Wednesday, July 21 at 7:30 p.m. (ET)/ 4:30 p.m. (PT) on Rogers Sportsnet

Saskatchewan @ Winnipeg, Sunday, September 12 @ 12 noon (MT)/ 2 p.m. (ET) on Sportsnet West

Ottawa @ Saskatchewan, Sunday, Sept. 26 @ 5 p.m. (ET)/ 2 p.m. (PT) on Rogers Sportsnet

Calgary @ Toronto, Wednesday, Sept. 29 @ 7 p.m. (ET)/ 4 p.m. (PT) on Rogers Sportsnet

I tried watching a couple. I didn't think they did a very good job, certainly not as well as TSN.

Besides, it seems to me that Rogers is more committed to the NFL.

The Rogers deal is for games featuring Canadian teams on Wednesday, and the weekend. TSN can still broadcast games featuring American clubs. Are there not also club specific deals? Does the relationship between RDS and the Canadiens get wiped out due to this?

Wrong. Here is what Rogers says about the deal.:

[i]Starting next season, Rogers Communications will be the National Hockey League’s exclusive broadcast and multimedia partner in Canada.

As part of the $5.2 billion, 12-year agreement, Rogers obtains the national rights on all platforms to every NHL game through the 2025-26 campaign—including all playoff games and the Stanley Cup Final. [/i]

Do you think Rogers would actually sell some games to its competitor? I suppose anything is possible, but that seems highly unlikely.

a typical NHL game on TSN draws 750,000-800,000 views. properties that have moved from TSN to sportsnet or thescore have seen ratings drops.
so, it's not a stretch to say, sportnet can expect similar or lesser ratings than what the NHL on TSN had.

someone brought this up on the main forum; the HNIC theme song will now be shelved for 12 years, as TSN owns the song.

the CFL now becomes TSN's most important and most watched property. what is the CFL worth to TSN 5 years from now when whe current TV deal is up and TSN can't afford to lose them? enough that the CFL can attract interest in a 10th or 11th team?

All TSN has left are the regional deals with Montreal and Winnipeg. Rogers will give CBC the HNIC games, and the rest is all Rogers (Sportsnet/City/etc.)

But RDS alone can get over 820,000 for Canadiens hockey, that's more than the average CFL game on TSN and RDS combined.

[url=https://www.bbm.ca/_documents/top_30_tv_programs_french/2013-14/2013-14_10_14_TV_ME_QuebecTop30_fr.pdf]https://www.bbm.ca/_documents/top_30_tv ... p30_fr.pdf[/url]

How does the CFL attract interest in 10th or 11th team with ratings only???? look at the Argos they are still losing money big time - they need "bums in seats at the stadium" to make money not bums in front of TV sets.

let me explain how this works;

ratings equals tv money.
being on a network ( tsn ) that NEEDS your product ( CFL programming ) since it lost NHL means you get more money.
( we saw this when CBC lost the CFL. they overpaid for MLS soccer to fill the void )
expect an increase in TV money in 5 years - the NEXT tv deal - which COULD make every team profitable, or break-even at worst. potential investors would see little downside in purchasing an expansion team when the worst you can do is break even.

this is pure speculation ofcourse, but the theory is sound.

keep in mind, the argos will be out of the skydome and in a new stadium by the time the next tv deal is up. hopefully, they will have added sources of income generated by their new home, and are closer to break-even, or profitable by then. extra tv money will be gravy.

But you said in another thread.....

"If you don't want to go to a game, you don't like crowds or you prefer to sit at home, I understand"

There seems to be some inconsistency in what you're saying....

Which is it?????

I'm glade these guys don't want the CFL because if their involved expect to pay more to watch your favorite sports team, these guys are the mega greedy and their in it to make a frigging killing. :cowboy:

You only need to point to the first time tickets went on sale for the Bills series in Toronto to understand that, Catfish.

What inconsistency?? I was responding to someone that made the excuse that "they can't afford" a CFL ticket. I'm saying that CFL tickets are affordable and not expensive so don't use that excuse.
If you say you don't want to go because you don't like crowds or prefer to sit at home I understand that but don't tell me that you don't go because you can't afford it.

So if you can go but decide to stay home, that’s OK, but if your finances don’t allow you to go, that’s not OK with you.

So I will guess that you fall under the first category. Nice that you can make an excuse for yourself, but not allow for anyone else.

By the way, do you have season tickets? How many games did you get to this year? Let’s find out if you are a real fan!!

Thanks Rogers, you gave me yet another reason not to watch NHL hockey!

Yes pure speculation. The new TV deal was based upon the fact that the average TSN attendance averaged around 730,000 over the last 4 or so seasons and the fact that one more team will be entering the league. The TV ratings have been steady over the last 5 years, I don't see how they would somehow jump, they peaked in 010, dropped in 011, rose in 012 and 013 but still below the 010 peak of 800,000
Unless the ratings double and there is a bidding war between networks I can't see how the TV contract could double. I think you are putting too much faith in the TV revenue. It helps of course, but teams need to sell tickets, sell the private suites, club seats, advertising and the TV revenue helps, they also have to keep salaries and other costs down.
What does it cost to run a CFL team? probably close to $16 Million a year.

A raise in the salary cap and a drop in attendance could wipe out any gain in the TV contract.

old fan said

So if you can go but decide to stay home, that's OK, but if your finances don't allow you to go, that's not OK with you.

So I will guess that you fall under the first category. Nice that you can make an excuse for yourself, but not allow for anyone else.

By the way, do you have season tickets? How many games did you get to this year? Let's find out if you are a real fan!!

Can I explain this again? you don't seem to grasp it or you are not reading what I'm saying

Someone complained that they don't go to CFL games because they can NOT afford tickets.

I said "DON'T USE - I CAN NOT AFFORD IT AS AN EXCUSE" the CFL tickets are affordable.
Tell us you don't go to games because you don't like crowds or you don't like the seats etc but do NOT say you can't afford it

What don't you understand about that statement?

If you completely read the other thread I already stated that the people that buy tickets, that drive to the games in Guelph should be saluted and YES they are the REAL fans and without them we don't have a team. I already admitted on the other thread that I don't go to games but you conveniently left that out.

Well, Mike…

Yeah…just as I thought.