TSN does not want football fans to watch CFL games?

I've noticed since the start of the NFL season that TSN is running slick ads during CFL games imploring fans to watch NFL games, but with virtually no promotion of their CFL games.

In the first half of tonight's CFL game, they've run high-pressure ads for the 1:00 pm Sunday NFL game on TSN2. Then they ran a high-pressure ad promoting the 3 NFL games on CTV at 1:00 pm Sunday. But not a peep about the CFL game on at 1:00 pm Sunday? TSN is essentially encouraging fans to watch the NFL games on TSN2 and CTV, but not their own CFL game in the same time slot. If these ads are effective, less fans will be watching the CFL and more watching the NFL...fans can't watch both games at the same time.

TSN is using the high popularity of the CFL telecasts to promote the NFL. Ratings for NFL games have increased substantially since TSN has taken over the Sunday and Monday night games. It's one thing for TSN to promote their NFL games, as there are no CFL games scheduled in those time slots. But promoting NFL games on Sunday which are running head-to-head against the CFL is very troubling. No ads for CFL games, but slick high-pressure ads promoting NFL games. And now they're promoting CTV's NFL games running head-to-head against a CFL game?

I realize this a free country and they can accept ads from whoever they choose, but why aren't they promoting the CFL games equally? Do they want fans to watch the NFL over the CFL? The fact is TSN runs no CFL ads during their telecasts, only NFL ads.

If these slick high-pressure NFL ads are working, it will mean that ratings for Sunday NFL games will go up, while ratings for Sunday CFL games will go down. I wonder if the CFL head office is aware of this strategy by their host broadcaster? This does not bode well for the future of the CFL.

TSN runs a lot of ads promoting their CFL games during the week as well.
I'm sure theres no conspiracy here. TSN gets better ratings for their cfl games anyways. Maybe they feel the need to increase their NFL ratings?

Makes perfect sense if you think about it......

TSN's CFL broadcasts are consistently near the top of weekly sports ratings, so why not advertise your other football product to your largest football audience?

I wouldn't worry too much about losing CFL fans to the NFL, CFL fans are quite passionate about watching the games! It could also be to ramp up awareness of the NFL schedule because there are only a few weeks of Canadian football left....

I have no problem with TSN promoting their NFL games or CTV’s NFL games…but not specific NFL games which are running head-to-head against CFL games. This will lower the ratings for the CFL. By advertising during a CFL game, they obviously want CFL viewers to watch the NFL game on Sunday…not the CFL game in the same time slot.

Do you think CTV would allow TSN to advertise Sunday CFL games which are in direct competition to CTV’s NFL games? I highly doubt it, that is a distinct no-no in the broadcasting industry. A network would never allow another network to advertise their programs on your station…unless they were owned by the same company. And in this case, that company has chosen the NFL over the CFL.

TSN AD: Don’t watch our CFL game on Sunday, watch the NFL on CTV instead! (in essence what TSN is saying)

CTV Ad: Don’t watch our NFL game on Sunday, watch the CFL on TSN instead! (an ad I guarantee you will never see)

CFL fans watch CFL games,and watch NFL highlights, NFL fans watch NFL games and CFL highights. I watch football and alll the highlights. I have CFl games that I prefer to watch because of the teams that are playing and know they will be good games. I watch NFL games when the team I like is playing. I don’t think TSN is pushing one league over the other, they broadcast both, they have to advertise to the variety of fans that watch both leagues. It’s all about marketing.

I would bet that TSN pays a pretty penny fopr the rights to broadcast NFL games and needs the viewership in high numbers so that they can have the highest ad-base rate possible. The more people that watch, the more they can charge for those always entertaining (just kidding) Bud and Chevy commercials.

CFL fans watch CFL games,and watch NFL highlights, NFL fans watch NFL games and CFL highights. I watch football and alll the highlights. I have CFl games that I prefer to watch because of the teams that are playing and know they will be good games. I watch NFL games when the team I like is playing. I don't think TSN is pushing one league over the other, they broadcast both, they have to advertise to the variety of fans that watch both leagues. It's all about marketing.
You didn't address the fact that TSN is advertising CTV's NFL games on CFL broadcasts...(and advertising CTV's NFL games which are running in the same timeslot as CFL games on TSN.) That is my point.

I guess it might be fair if CTV ran ads for TSN's CFL games (and advertising TSN's CFL games which are running in the same timeslot as NFL games on CTV), which they don't. So it isn't all about marketing, it's all about promoting the NFL over the CFL...and using the highly rated CFL games to do it.

I would bet that TSN pays a pretty penny fopr the rights to broadcast NFL games and needs the viewership in high numbers so that they can have the highest ad-base rate possible. The more people that watch, the more they can charge for those always entertaining (just kidding) Bud and Chevy commercials.
ding...ding...ding...we have a winner! That is exactly the point. TSN is trying to increase viewership of their (and CTV's) NFL games to increase their ad revenues. But they are doing this by reducing the viewership of CFL games...because they are promoting TSN and CTV NFL games (which start at 1:00 pm Sunday) on CFL telecasts, while TSN is televising a CFL game in the same 1:00 pm Sunday timeslot. Rob Peter to pay Paul.

You will all be happy to learn that this is my last post on this topic. We can all stick our heads back in the sand, everything is fine…the CFL is popular, it’s just marketing, TSN needs money to pay for their high-priced NFL games, it’s a free country, CTV equally promotes the CFL…blah, blah, blah. End of story. :roll:

are you trying to say the NFL games aren't pretty high priced? or that there's a better time to advertise than during the programs that dominate your weekend ratings? not only that, but TSN advertises TSN2 programs all the time, regardless of what's on..

the truth is, all of those things are facts.. while what you're saying is just an opinion / conspiracy theory that really doesn't make any sense (nobody wants to lower their own ratings.. and if they're doing it just for ad revenues, that's business, it's not "oh let's keep people away from the CFL")

Yes it is very ironic.
However as some have said, why not advertise on the CFL telecasts as they are the most highly watched period at an average nearly 1M per game.