Trying to watch the CFL playoff games this weekend while in Ft. Lauderdale

For we Canadians who travel frequently in the US, trying to watch CFL games is a frustrating experience. I will be in Ft. Lauderdale on Sunday and want to watch both games. The TSN App and TSN Drive don’t work in the US (mostly), or at least they didn’t for me in Connecticut in October. It looks like the games might be available through WatchESPN but that App is not available here in Canada. I looked purchasing a game package on the CFL live streaming site but that is not available in North America. I could hope to find a bar on my cruise ship that has the games (good luck with that!) or maybe once I am in the US, I may be able to download the WatchESPN app. Maybe.

There must be many other Canadian travellers to the US that are frustrated by this. Anyone out there with any experience on how to make this work?

Will the TV in your cabin pick it up?
Tip the staff well and someone may be able to help you out

Sorry TVGuyD - that is a tough situation. I think the most likely solution is to use ESPN Plus ( https://plus.espn.com/ ) while in the U.S. They'll be carrying all playoff games there, and you can likely use the 7-day free trial to your advantage if you start the trial carefully too. :slight_smile:

I’ve used the TSN Go app successfully in Arizona this fall. We did not watch the live feed, we watched a recorded game later in the day on my iPad over Wifi.

TSN may be forced to geo-block based on your IP address for live feeds in the U.S. Keep in mind Bell owns TSN and sets the rules on content ownership and streaming out of country.

Another option for the live feed is to stream a local radio station covering the game.

Hope this helps.

If worse comes to worse listen online

how about use skype (something I know little about).

have someone in Canada turn on the game and use their computer camera to let you watch it on a computer

maybe.

would it work?

That is the ultimate backup plan. Thanks.

Might work but not sure how much data a 6 hr skype session would burn through when I am out of country. Creative thinking though. Thanks.

The playoffs are not on ESPN+ in the US. There will be 3 games on ESPNews and 2 on ESPN2. While they can be viewed using the WatchESPN app, one a must also sign into your tv provider demonstrating that you subscribe to ESPN2 and ESPNews. Otherwise, the app is worthless. Some ISP’s do provide access to WatchESPN/ESPN3 content at no additional charge, but I doubt that fits your situation.

The cheapest legal way to watch the games (if the TSN app does not work) would probably be purchasing a month of Sling Orange for $25 (ESPN2) + another $5 (ESPNews) for the sports package. Total would be $30US for 5 games. Sling is a streaming service alternative to cable tv. Obviously, a good internet connection is required.

Wow. Great info. Thanks. I don’t mind paying a little extra considering the circumstance (although I pay for my TSN in Canada THANK YOU VERY MUCH ARE YOU LISTENING CFL???) but I shouldn’t have to pay twice. Thanks again for that info. I may do that. Then again maybe with my mounting frustration at this debacle I’ll decide to just go watch Netflix instead. It shouldn’t be this difficult. And I have been watching the CFL religiously since the Leon McQuay fumble in the 1971 Grey Cup. Geez!

okie is misinformed; ESPN+ ( https://plus.espn.com/ ) will absolutely have the playoffs and Grey Cup available to stream while you are in the United States.

I will however go update CFL.ca’s Where To Watch page so it’s crystal-clear about this fact.

The cheapest way is to get a VPN with a Canadian server on your phone or laptop and use your TSN apps. I've used several over the years (Hidemyass, Tunnelbear, and others) to watch Canadian TV. Currently, I'm using VPN Unlimited - Fast & Secure VPN service

I did this when I was in the Dominican Republic a few weeks ago, and it worked reasonably well.

Here is the ESPN schedule for the CFL playoffs. None of the upcoming games are on ESPN+ according to their own website.

November 11

November 18

November 25

If they indeed are on ESPN+, that would be a secret to the public. The CFL should make this clear if ESPN’s listing is wrong. There are people who already cancelled their subscription to ESPN+ believing that no playoffs will air on that service.

The great thing about ESPN+ is that it carries all the ESPN channels. Here is the upcoming schedule for 11/11 for games that can be accessed by using ESPN+, either the app or the website:

Sunday, November 11th
Football

[tr][td][th]Canadian Football League[/th]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]10:00 AM[/td]
[td]BC Lions vs. Hamilton Tiger-Cats[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]

[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]10:00 AM[/td]
[td]BC Lions vs. Hamilton Tiger-Cats[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]

[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]1:00 PM[/td]
[td]2018 CFL Playoffs Preview Show[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]

[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]1:30 PM[/td]
[td]Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs. Saskatchewan Roughriders[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]

[/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td]1:30 PM[/td]
[td]Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs. Saskatchewan Roughriders[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]

[/td]
[/tr]

I do that quite a bit. The Winnipeg CJOB crew is a really good one.

ESPN uses a single website and app (WatchESPN) to access all their content. That however does not mean that everybody can watch all events listed. As I said previously, you must log in which then shows to them what services you have paid for.

Having a cable subscription for ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNews will give you the right to view ESPN3 content but not to ESPN+ games. Likewise, paying for ESPN+ only will not allow you to view ESPN2 and ESPNews programs.

The CFL posted the following today which shows how the playoffs can be viewed around the world. ESPN+ is not one of the options.

Ok sorry okie but you are wrong.

Espn+ is a paid internet service and the CFL is on ESPN+ but not playing on the other ESPN networks currently

If you pay for the service you get what is on that service its the same all over the USA

The pages you posted are listing the tv service not espn+

I am in Florida …use ESPN+ and you will see the playoff games
I think it’s $20 a month

I’m not sure what to believe. The ESPN site clearly shows it NOT on ESPN+, which is EXTREMELY ANNOYING. Isn’t that what I paid for?
So, now, since I don’t have cable TV, I’ll have to log in via a browser to get ESPN3 with my Sling TV account or my ISP account, BUT if I want to watch the pregame show on ESPN2 I’ll have to log in with a browser using my Sling account, because ESPN2 won’t authenticate on the Roku app. What a colossal screw-over.

The ESPN web site CLEARLY SHOWS the games NOT on ESPN+

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/8iafc4pjspfu4aq/GCespn.jpg

Nope. You are wrong. The ESPN web site lists programming for ALL networks, including ESPN+, and ESPN+ is not one of the networks listed as showing the games. In fact, the ESPN+ schedule makes no mention whatsoever of the CFL playoffs.

Show me where the CFL playoffs are on the ESPN+ schedule.