Trying to fix the defense

Yet another indication of concern for defensive talent. 3 more defensive players brought in. A defensive lineman and 2 more DBs.

[url=http://www.ticats.ca/article/tiger-cats-add-trio-to-practice-roster]http://www.ticats.ca/article/tiger-cats ... ice-roster[/url]

At what point do we start looking at the scheme? Moving good personell around will accomplish nothing.

This is starting to get frustrating! :?

Who exactly is good back there...
We don't have a single star, ball-hawk or heavy hitter in the secondary.

Not to be argumentative, but most of the DBs released over the last few years have landed elsewhere and had rather good careers. I'm a little gunshy with releasing players at this juncture because of past mis-steps is all.

You can't talk about previous years though because this is a completely new system.

I'm hopeful Milt Collins is the answer to the failed Shivers at safety experiment. I like Shivers in the HB position in place of Thomas.

And, of course, we need Hinds back.

Collins and Webb know this system. On that basis alone, these acquisitions should help.

Agreed, but it’s still the same management.

Not saying they will or wont help, but knowing the system doesn't mean you have any skill...

I certainly hope coach Chamblin and Obie would know such things. If not, then then this reeks of desperation. Hope we're not at that point.

All I know, is that I feel a little better when I hear that we've acquired a DB or twob with some CFL experience. It's hard for me to watch some of our current crop in the secondary, namely Thomas and Shivers.

We've released plenty of DBs over the last few years, and most of them went nowhere. Of the former Ticat DBs who have been making significant contributions on other teams this year, only 2 of them (Dwight Anderson and Jykine Bradley) were outright released by the Ticats.

The only former Ticat DBs I can think of who went on to do anything for other teams in recent years are:
Anderson (released by Ticats for bad behavior)
Bradley (released)
L. Gordon (released, now out of the league?)
Thompson (traded to EDM)
Goss (traded to EDM)
Kornegay (traded to SK)
Tisdale (signed with Calgary as a free agent)

Again, only 3 of those guys were released.

Compare to these released DBs who fizzled or vanished after their time in Hamilton:
Jason Nedd
Jermaine Mays
Ryan Glasper
Rontarius Robinson
Wayne Shaw
Richard Karikari
I'm sure there must be more...

Here's the latest form Drew Edwards on today's practice. What a mish mash in the secondary!

The Ticats have taken their practice inside to Players Paradise in Stoney Creek because of the weather and there's quite a bit to report.

The Hamilton secondary is missing four regulars: Jason Shivers and Loyce Means were hurt Friday vs. Winnipeg and join Milt Collins and Ryan on the sidelines (not to mention Dylan Barker, who hasn't played this season and isn't likely to.)

So newly acquired Dee Webb is taking first team reps at wide side halfback with Woodny Turenne (added to PR two weeks ago) at wide corner. Carlos Thomas has moved to safety while the short half (Marcell Young) and short corner (Bo Smith) remain the same.

Of course, this the first of three days of practice and things could change radically before game day on Sunday.

Full report can be found here: http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/ under [u]10/12/2011 Update from (indoor) #Ticats practice[/u]
8) No team can expect to win with constant changes like the Cats have had to do in their secondary for the past several
 games.  

Injuries aside, this "better is better" theory has completely backfired this year.
  Many of the players brought in this season were vastly over rated. Thus the constant changes on a weekly basis.

I hate to even think what Mr. Cavillo will do to this revamped secondary this Sunday !!

It won't be pretty.

And if we did Obie would probably trade them for a good veteran receiver.... :wink:

I’m not sure if anyone noticed, and I don’t see any mention of it on this forum, but the Tiger cats released DT Albert Smith yesterday.

If this has been noted already, my apologies…

"...but most of the DBs released over the last few years have landed elsewhere and had rather good careers. I'm a little gunshy with releasing players at this juncture because of past mis-steps is all."

Should read...

"...but most of the DBs released or traded away over the last few years have landed elsewhere and had rather good careers. I'm a little gunshy with releasing or trading players at this juncture because of past mis-steps is all.

My bad. :frowning:

We've developed a bad habit of working good players out of our system.

I liked what I saw of Milt Collins in his first game with the Cats. He seemed to have a very strong and commanding presence in the backfield. I really hope his injury is minor and is back ASAP. Chris Rwabakamba will also be very good. From what I've seen he is very fast and is step for step with the opposing receiver. I hope Chamblin can give his some more game time this year. Having him and Hinds on the corners would be a great ratio-buster also.

One other guy was Will Heyward. I'm not sure why he was released because he was a rookie last year and showed great potential. Very fast, hard hitter and had a great work ethic. I'm not sure what Chamblin sees in Thomas and Shivers over Heyward.

Then there was Kyries Hebert. That was another hard hitting veteran who would have beefed up the secondary.

I like Shivers at HB (he seemed very uncomfortable and too tentative at Safety), and Thomas is getting better every week.

I am fairly confident that a very high percentage of people would disagree. If you review the last two games you will see that Thomas has been getting burned so badly that he is not even in the camera shot. I'm talking 5-10 yards of separation.

Oh my.