Tribute to Past Champions

I see by the Tiger-Cat page that both the 1957 and 1967 Championship Teams are to be honoured on Saturday.

The 1957 game is the first Grey Cup game that I can remember seeing. There was something special about the way the game was telecast, although I don't remember what it was, first time live as opposed to film perhaps? For us, it was probably the first time at all, as that was around the time that my parents bought our first TV.

The best memory I have is of Ray "Bibbles" Bawel, who rented a house near a friend of mine, and where we went for Halloween "Trick or Treat". Bawel actually came to the door and gave us the candy, a big deal then as in those times we didn't see the players anywhere but in photos from the Hamilton Spectator. But the game was the best, besides the famous "trip". I think Bawel had two or three interceptions, and scored on one. Would have scored on the other had he not been tripped. He actually shows up on the clip on the webpage, both his scoring run and the infamous trip.

I also remember Bernie Faloney, in his pre- number 10 days, scoring as well as Cookie Gilchrist running one in. I recall that was the start of the Hamilton-Winnipeg Grey Cup rivalry over about 6 seasons, unfortunately, the Bud Grant and Kenny Ploen lead Bombers had the better of us.

Don't know how many, if any, of the 1957 team will be able to be in attendance, but one fan there will be remembering the thrill of a boyhood idol having a big game!

"There was something special about the way the game was telecast, although I don't remember what it was, first time live as opposed to film perhaps? "

Perhaps because CBC & CTV shared the broadcasting, which they did for many years?

I'm not sure CTV was around in 1957 . CBC did the broadcast and the announcer may have been Fred Scambatti [sp] . I believe Hamilton's Norm Marshall did the 1953 game .

Watching the 1967 clip I was reminded how history repeats . Our tight end, Ted Watkins, scored a spectacular touchdown . Months later he would be shot and killed in California by a white liquor store owner .

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

did not know that. wow (i mean i wouldn't be born for another 17 years but still.... wow)