Trevor Harris to the Als

I think Shiltz earned a shot to be honest. What’s the point of keeping a guy around that long and not giving him a shot?

3 Likes

They may very well keep him in as long as the team continues to play well. Khari seems to believe in him and doesn’t really have any history with Harris where he might feel obligated to play him. To me Harris is an insurance policy for the playoffs in case Shiltz also happens to get injured or gets exposed badly against better teams. And for the price of an average American DE, it was worth it IMO.

1 Like

I think Harris starts sooner than later.

Team is on a little roll so Jones probably won’t want to upset the apple cart for this week at least. But if Shiltz throws a couple picks or can’t move the ball then it’s an easier call to bring in Harris, either at the end of a game or the following week. Given the stiffer competition they’ll be facing Shiltz might very well come back to earth. No guarantee Harris will be the answer but they will feel more secure with a vet who’s been to the playoffs than a raw guy out of NCAA.

2 Likes

Shiltz has been with the Als for 4 years. Hard to imagine they don’t know what they have. He’s 28. So is he a career backup? I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him, frankly he scares me more than Harris.

Imo this is a desperation move that likely wasn’t necessary.

Do you mean Patterson? Because Shiltz is in his fourth year in the CFL.

1 Like

Yes - if they have to put someone in to replace Shiltz out of injury or because he’s off his game, they want to have the luxury of going with a proven vet rather than a rookie like Patterson or Dormady. Especially in a playoff game.

3 Likes

I absolutely agree with you. A raw guy out of NCAA will be eaten alive by any decent CFL defense. There’s just too much to absorb: the yard off the ball, the 12th man, unlimited pre-snap motion, the shortened playclock, the wider field. You might get lucky and win a game on pure athleticism and instinct but eventually you’ll come back down to earth. The game only slows down for the QB in year 2 at the earliest.

3 Likes

Elks GM Sunderland says this was a performance based decision, Trevor was too inconsistent.

1 Like

I think we’ve seen this a bit with Caleb Evans. Surprised everyone in game one but defences are starting to figure him out and he’s also pressing hard to
make the big play. That pick he threw in the end zone after Ottawa recovered the fumble was a typical rookie error. He’ll be a lot better in year two if they can give him an oline and receivers to work with.

I’ve been impressed with Shiltz and there is a possibility he holds onto the job through the playoffs but if he falters you could do far worse than having to turn to Trevor Harris.

4 Likes

Matt Nichols will be a lot better TOMORROW if they give him an oline and some receivers to work with.

Playing musical quarterbacks with that team is utterly pointless.

2 Likes

For sure but reality is he’s a 34 year old with shoulder and other injuries - would be surprised to see any team try to ride with him as a starter next year. He might work out well as a backup/mentor to a promising younger qb similar to Kevin Glenn at the end of his career.

2 Likes

I doubt the Als abandon Vernon for a 36-year-old hot and cold QB who’s shown no loyalty to any team in his entire career. He’s a backup that costs 75k the rest of the way and may even be worth a small return on a trade in the off season.

2 Likes

Is there any gas left in that snowblower ? Love the Canadian metaphor ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Pat Lynch (the old dude)

1 Like

Only a few games left so cost amortization of Arbuckle’s salary applied to Winnipeg’s cap might allow such a move.
The first thing wpg. would do is 6 game Sean McGuire (or cut him outright, no one would pick McGuire up fwiw) and perhaps lay off (or 6-game) a WR like Darvin Adams to slip Arbuckle’s money onto the scheme (without getting fined or losing a draft pick)
A top team is the answer for Arbuckle in the short term. Going to a lower rung squad is the long-term best interest as he’d have time to be part of a re-build.
In Winnipeg he’d be part of a championship run - and the greatest security if Collaros’s bell gets rung.

What exactly has Adams done that makes him “abandon” proof ?

3 weeks before getting kicked off the roster, he was player of the week in the CFL putting up the best performance of any QB this season. Not a Harris fan but something stinks in Edmonton. Funny man.

1 Like

He has a future, Harris has a past.

1 Like

Like Masoli. If you just wait a little longer and play him more ?

1 Like

I haven’t seen “two teams with a sense of urgency” like this since someone spiked the Gatorade with TurboLax.

DumbAndDumberTurboLax

4 Likes