Trevor Ekdahl - BC Lion Guard 1967-74 passed away this week

The Vancouver Sun's Greg Douglas reported this in his Saturday column:

"Former BC Lions players Gary Robinson and Dave Golinsky made arrangements to have alumni teammate Trevor Ekdahl comfortable enough to watch the Leos last two games from a special location at BC Place. Trevor succumbed to cancer Wednesday morning after a courageous four-year struggle. He was 63."

He played 115 games in a BC uniform and before coming to the Lions from the Utah State where in 1966 one of his teammates was Roy Shivers and another one of the Forzani brothers, Joe.

[url=http://digital.lib.usu.edu/cgi-bin/viewer.exe?CISOROOT=/USU_Photos&CISOPTR=1120&CISORESTMP=&CISOVIEWTMP=]http://digital.lib.usu.edu/cgi-bin/view ... SOVIEWTMP=[/url]

A graduate also of the Vancouver Meralomas in the Junior Big Four, he still holds a tied record for the most blocked kicks (2) in a game vs the Vancouver Blue Bombers in 1963. Born in Weyburn Sask, he played at Mount Royal College also.

In his rookie year in 1967, he was joined by Jim Young and Ted Gerela (kicker) - other players who had lengthy BC careers during an era that was not always getting a lot of victories. In 1971, the Lions history notes that 53 different players wore Lions uniforms that year including later movie guy, Carl Weathers. In 1972, his new teammates included LB Ray Nettles, Rocky Long, Johnny Musso and Al Wilson who went on to a long and successful career with his name on the wall of fame.

The Province Obituary Notice:
Ekdahl- Trevor, born in Weyburn, SK, passed away peacefully Sept 7, 2005, age 63. Trevor's children Ken and Janika, mother Virginia, and sister Bev thank friends, family, the BC Lions Alumni Association and staff at the Broadway Lodge for their support, love and care. No service or flowers by request. There will be a gathering at a later date.

====
Pierce-I learned a lot about perseverance. Things aren’t always going to go your way. I’ve become so much more aware of the realities of the game and life…Things can be taken away from you. You can either sit back…or overcome it and fight through it....

I remember him from way back then...Good guy...Will be missed

Trevor was my dad and he was a hell of a guy!
The Lions and his former team matees have been nothing short of amazing through out his illness and since his passing. My thanks and my family's thanks to them.
And to everyone else who has supported us and offered kind words or memories... thank you! It's always fun to hear about my dad in his youth.

#66 will always be #1 to me.

Janika Ekdahl

never heard about him but i still pa my respects to him

I remember watching your Dad at Old Empire Stadium. I think my son may have even gotten a football card of Trevor along with some of the other players from that era. (Ted Gerala, Gary Robinson, Lefty Hedrickson? Jim Young, Lefty Phillips? Tom Brown) (I hope my memory isn't mix-mashing years together!) He was a good guy on a struggling team,( Paul Brothers as our QB!) Yikes!)

Glad the support was there for you Jannika!

Yes I remember Trevor Ekdahl, and those days like sportsmen mentioned. However I was living in Ottawa back then and used to wait for the BC games to be televised... loved watching those Empire Stadium games late at night.