Trestman to be Als' coach

He may well be a great coach in time but for now the Als have made the same mistake we did. Hire an OC with no idea how the CFL game is played. It could be that the Als are good enough to survive his learning phase but if the guy isn't flexible in his thinking and willing to throw away his useless schemes midseason it could be a very long frustrating year for Montrealers

[quote author="catsconvert"][quote="He may well be a great coach in time but for now the Als have made the same mistake we did. Hire an OC with no idea how the CFL game is played. It could be that the Als are good enough to survive his learning phase but if the guy isn't flexible in his thinking and willing to throw away his useless schemes midseason it could be a very long frustrating year for Montrealers
[/quote]
And why do you think it is not possible to learn this game quickly? With the hours NFL coaches are used to putting in it would take him a day to figure it out. Our coaches didn't figure it out cause they were morons in any style of football, as long as a coach doesn't have a set way of doing things then he will adjust to any type of football. Charlie and his buds were to stubborn to change to suit the CFL style.

[quote="Drexl
That's because the coaches that have come up here were bottom of the barrel type guys. To quote Ron Myer 'it's football not rocket science.' If a coach does his homework he should have no problems at all adjusting.
[/quote]
Ron Myer's CFL coacing record
1 season Los Vegas Posse
5 wins 13 losses
OK I believe he knows what it takes to adjust to the CFL since he did such an outstanding job of it himself

Ron Meyer; Kay Stephenson; Jack Pardee; Forrest Gregg; Pepper Rodgers; Frank Kush…

Exactly. The failure rate is astounding mostly because of attitudes illistrated by Myers quote. The CFL is unique and you cannot learn it in a year. More importantly you cannot unlearn a lifetime of American football truth in a similar timeframe

[quote author="catsconvert"]

Ron Myer's CFL coacing record
1 season Los Vegas Posse
5 wins 13 losses
OK I believe he knows what it takes to adjust to the CFL since he did such an outstanding job of it himself

He had a team built from scratch with a 20 year old q.b named Toni Calvillo starting for him and they had to play in front of 2000 fans and practice every day in 120 degree temps and yet they were still a very entertaining team to watch, with a typical CFL offence which was a hell of a lot more creative than what we had last year.

All of the American expriment teamsstruggled save one. Baltimore coached by CFL vet Don Maatthews. Any more words of wisdom?

Do you really think Don would have lead any of those other teams to the Grey Cup and remember they were all expansion teams, since when are expansion teams expected to come in and dominate?

Parde did well with Birmingham 9-9 even though Dunnigan missed half the year, San Antonio won over 10 games their last year and I still say that 5 wins with Las Vegas was a huge acomplishment and hey it’s 2 more wins than Charlie ‘the greatest coach who ever walked this earth’ Taffe could get here. The only team I can say that the coach didn’t have a clue was Pepper Rogers.

Why would Ritchie leave his good friend Wally Buono for a lateral move from one team to another.I heard Ritchie may just out right retire.

The thread by ronfromtigertown titled "Dave Ritchie Finished in B.C." will update you on the situation.

Actually I suspect every one of those teams would have fared better under Mathews. It would start with player selection continue with player cuts and finish with a game plan that fits with CFL rules. Maybe not a Grey Cup appearence but certainly any one of them would have been respectable at worst.BTW I notice you are citing 2nd year results with SA so that fits what I'm trying to tell you. It takes a full season to learn the game at a minimum. Many coaches never learn or should I say unlearn a lifetime of knowlege

Not a minute of CFL experience? I dunno about this. I wonder how much respect his veteran laden team will give him or how long it will be until they start to second guess him if he starts to make some questionable decisions.

I think it's a mistake. A Cats playoff spot is looking more possible every minute.

An Argo-Cat fan

With Marcel Desjardins back in Montreal and a new head coach...what do you think Jason Maas's chances are with the Als in 2008?
Maybe he will finally be heading back west where he would prefer to be.