Trestman to be Als' coach

The Montreal Gazette is reporting tonight that Trestman will be the Als' head coach, and that Marcel B guy (can't remember how to spell his last name) may be coming to Hamilton as OC. Charlie's talked to him already according to the article.
Here's the link: www.canada.com/montrealgazette/ There's a link on the opening page to the story which was just posted a few minutes ago.

I wonder if Greg Marshall (the other) is a contender for the DC job here if Trestman gets the job in Montreal.

And why would he leave Winnipeg?

A more likely scenario is a competition between the Ticats and the Alouettes for the services of Dave Ritchie as defensive co-ordinator.

Great news!

Montreal looks like a sinking ship, while the Cats sign an experienced, intelligent OC.

Next up, hiring a DC.

Didn't I read this somewhere?

'Ticats head coach Charlie Taaffe said yesterday
he had met Bellefeuille, but was otherwise non-committal.

"He's got experience. He has had success as a coordinator.

He's a quality coach.

I got to know him better and we'll see where it goes.

But I'm going to interview people
for the better part of the week," Taaffe said.'

Would he resign his DC post on a Grey Cup-qualifying team to join a 3-15 team with the secondary and anemic pass rush we currently have?

Didn’t think so.

Winnipeg will not allow him to make a horizontal transfer to an Eastern rival. That’s pretty clear to me.

Oski Wee Wee,

Crash and Russ: More money!
Thats the only reason I can think of given Winnipeg’s strong showing this past season. Do we know for sure if he has a tight contract when it comes to moving laterally?

CJAD made the same announcement this morning

Yes. LMAO

A contract is a contract. By convention, a team grants permission for a coordinator under contract to pursue a deal with another team which is an upgrade over his current position. Termination is then granted once a contract is agreed to.

If there is any wording in his contract that would allow him to walk for an equivalent post, I’d like to see it. Teams usually insist on having the last word on the employment status of the coordinators under contract.

In the case you suggest (Marshall going from one DC post to another), I wouldn’t give him permission to pursue a Cats deal if I were Taman. So why would he? Allowing him to go to a division rival?

If Marshall wants to come to Hamilton, he would have to resign his current position in the Peg first.

Oski Wee Wee,

Say that to a Regina or Montreal fan and they’d recommend you visit a psychiatrist right away.

Oski oui oui wrote:" If Marshall wants to come to Hamilton, he would have to resign his current position in the Peg first.".

Exactly. Which was my point about money.
I'll guess we will find out this week. Obie says he wants an OC and DC named before Christmas. Looks like Charlie is doing the Christmas shopping though.

Do you think Obie is looking over Chucks shoulders. :slight_smile:

Do you think Obie is looking over Chucks shoulders. :slight_smile:

I sure do hope so!

Although Marc Trestman has a steep learning curve ahead of him to adapt to the CFL game, his NFL credentials as a quarterbacks coach and offensive co-ordinator are outstanding. Here is his bio as shown on the North Carolina State football website:

"23rd Year in coaching • Second Year at NC State

COACHING EXPERIENCE: College - Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at NC State (2005-); NFL - Assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach with the Miami Dolphins (2004); Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach with the Oakland Raiders (2002-03); Senior Assistant/Offense with the Oakland Raiders (2001); Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach with the Arizona Cardinals (1998-2000); Quarterbacks coach with the Detroit Lions (1997); Offensive coordinator/Quarterbacks coach with the San Francisco 49ers (1995-1996); Quarterbacks coach/Administrative Assistant to Head Coach with the Minnesota Vikings (1990-91); Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach with the Cleveland Browns (1989); Quarterbacks coach with the Cleveland Browns (1988); Quarterbacks coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1987); Running backs coach with the Minnesota Vikings (1985-1986); College - Quarterbacks coach at University of Miami (1983-84); Volunteer Assistant at the University of Miami (1981-82).

PLAYING EXPERIENCE: Played quarterback at the University of Minnesota (1974-77) and at Moorhead (Minn.) State (1978). Went to NFL training camp with the Minnesota Vikings in 1979 and 1979 as a defensive back.

EDUCATION: Earned a B.S. in political science from the University of Minnesota in 1979. Earned a Juris Doctorate from the University of Miami in 1982. Member of the Florida Bar since 1983.

PERSONAL DATA: Born in St. Louis Park, Minn. Trestman and wife Cindy have two daughters, Sarahanne (13) and Chloe (11).

OTHER HIGHLIGHTS: Helped lead Miami to the 1983 National Championship and the 1984 Fiesta Bowl. Coached both Bernie Kosar and Vinny Testaverde, and recruited Steve Walsh. In Kosar's 1984 senior season, Kosar set school records with 262 pass competitions and 3,642 yards and also threw for 25 touchdowns. While in the NFL, Trestman has coached in one Super Bowl, two AFC Championship games and has helped lead eight teams to 15 playoff appearances. Coordinated 4 different NFL teams to the playoffs in his 1st year in that position. Has coached in the NFL under George Siefert, Marty Schottenheimer, Jon Gruden, Bill Callahan, Bobby Ross and Bud Grant. In his first season in Oakland in 2001, Rich Gannon threw for 3,828 yards and had 27 touchdowns to only nine interceptions. Trestman was named the 2002 NFL Offensive Coordinator of the Year by American Football Weekly. Helped lead the 2002 Raiders to the Super Bowl, in the process Gannon was named the NFL MVP. In 2002 Gannon threw for 4,689 yards and completed 67,6 % of his passes. The Raiders lead the NFL in total offense (389.9 yards a game) and in passing (279.7). Gannon also set NFL single-season records for pass completions (418) and 300-yard games (10). In first season with Arizona in 1998, helped Jake Plummer and the Cardinals reach the playoffs and win their first playoff game since 1947. Plummer threw for over 3,700 yards in only his second season. Returning to the NFL after three years, Trestman was the offensive coordinator for a 1995 San Francisco team that lead the NFL in scoring (29.5 points) and passing yards (4,779) and second in total offense (6,258). In 1996 the 49ers were 2nd in the NFL in passing and Steve Young led the league in passing efficiency. In first season as offensive coordinator at the pro level, helps the Cleveland Browns reach the AFC_Championship game as Bernie Kosar throws for 3,533 yards and 18 touchdowns. Made first NFL playoff game in 1988 coaching Kosar with the Cleveland Browns. Was NC State's all-time leading rusher Ted Brown's position coach with the Minnesota Vikings in 1985 and 86."

Yep he’s going to be a great coach in this league, the year he was with Oakland they would pass the ball on every play almost.

I just hope we do the right thing and go with either Tommy Condel or Rick Worman for our OC, no Marcel B pleaze, Montreal and Regina both couldn’t wait to show him the door and both teams are probably praying we bring him here so he can ruin our offence like he did theirs.

I just hope we do the right thing and go with either Tommy Condel or Rick Worman for our OC, no Marcel B pleaze, Montreal and Regina both couldn't wait to show him the door and both teams are probably praying we bring him here so he can ruin our offence like he did theirs.
[/quote]
Ruin what offense? What, he's going to make it even worse?

Ruin what offense? What, he’s going to make it even worse?
[/quote]
LOL, ya but he’s not going to make things better, we’d be settling for a cast off coach instead of trying to get some one top notch and being pro active.

If he’s the man then I can only hope that he brings in American coordinators as well. It takes a minimum of a year for U.S. coaches to get acclimatized to the Canadian game. Even with the best of intentions they make odd calls on special teams, run the clock ‘funny’ and frequently have quite a time figuring out what to do with that extra player.

It all sinks in - for the good ones quickly. However, this would bode well for the 'Cats in at least the first half of the season and hey… I’m a 'Cats fan.

That’s because the coaches that have come up here were bottom of the barrel type guys. To quote Ron Myer ‘it’s football not rocket science.’ If a coach does his homework he should have no problems at all adjusting.