Trestman for President

I actually visited Winnipeg for four glorious days a loooooong time ago during the PanAmerican games in 1967. It was early to mid-august and when our chartered bus delivered us to Sargent Park School just before 5:00AM there was frost on the grass. By noon the temp was climbing past 80ºF. For us the frost was a few weeks early but otherwise the weather was just like home. But then, that’s life in the middle of a large land mass at these latitudes. Some of my cousins who have visited us from Sweden (63deg. North, cf. Yellowknife) were rather impressed by our winter weather.

1 Like

You were here in 1967 for the Pan Am Games? I remember those games. Kinda.

I was a second grader in the back seat of my parent’s car with my face buried in a comic book on the way to the Pan Am games at the University of Manitoba. We magically got there (I wasn’t paying attention) and parked miles away. Maybe it only seemed like miles… anyway we walked a great distance to that newly built stadium my dad was raving about and plunked our fannies down on those wooden bench seats (endzone I think) AND I DON’T REMEMBER ANYTHING AFTER THAT. Everything was too far away and I think sometime before the 4th grade I finally got a pair of glasses to correct my fuzzy vision.

The important thing is… I remembered the comic books. Too bad I never hung onto them. They’d be worth a fortune today. :grin:

It was just before my senior year of high school. I was a member of our local small-town drum and bugle corps. Somehow our director managed to book us for two performances; a sideline concert before a field hockey game and an on-field routine during half time at a soccer game. Other than that we had a lot of free time to explore the city a bit. Our accomodations were military bunkbeds in the Sargent park gym.

The only souvenir I brought home was a photo book of the Blue Bombers 1966 season. I had it for years, but I must have lost it in a move about eleven years ago. GREAT MEMORIES!

3 Likes