Tre Ford provides spark for Elks in 1st CFL start

HAMILTON – While it was the defence that lifted the Elks over the Tiger-Cats in Week 4 for their first win of the season, Canadian rookie quarterback Tre Ford provided a much-needed spark for Edmonton in his first CFL start.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/07/02/tre-ford-provides-spark-for-elks-in-1st-cfl-start/

I've been watching the CFL for more than 50 years but this is a new one on me... How was the missed Edmonton field goal in the second quarter not a safety against Hamilton? The ball clearly bounces off the Hamilton player in the end zone and is then recovered by Hamilton on their own 1 yard line. How can the Hamilton player establish control of the ball in the field of play but then be allowed to retreat back into his end zone on his own and concede a single point? I think the officials got this one wrong. The TV announcer said he "re-established" himself... what does that mean?

1 Like

The good news for the Hamilton Tiger Cats is they face the Ottawa Redblacks for their next opponent. :sweat_smile: The bad news for the Cats is 2 heartbreaking losses thus far-Stamps & Elks to go 0-4 after Week 4. :upside_down_face:

Very true. Ford did well but not well enough to win against a sad Hamilton crew who are running out of feet to shoot. He didn’t tarnish his future though, I mean what do you expect from someone in his situation? I just don’t see him as a starter yet, & hope Jones goes back to Arbuckle so Ford can watch, learn & take his time picking up all the nuances he will need in the years to come. Most QBs watch & learn for years before they get their chance. Good on the kid for rising to the challenge & a victory on Canada Day. He has a bright future, just don’t rush it.

3 Likes

I'm a Cat fan - but man I am concerned about how they are losing games that they should have won. I am beginning to think Steinhauer is the problem - what did he do in the off season to build the team, after losing Banks, Masoli and Davis just to name a few? The offensive play calling has been horrible all season - who is to blame for that - Evans or Condell? It is not yet time to panic - but if they don't win a couple of games within the next few weeks - then push the button.

Good points all around. I do think Arbuckle should be in vs Calgary but unlikely. If he goes in & keeps throwing INT’s, how does that look? Ford likely gets 1 more game or half, depending how it goes. Putting him in & keeping him there after falling 13 pts behind took some guts. Not starting him after a win would be a slap in the face for a young guy who just earned a win.

1 Like

Cats have a bye week to think about it before hosting Ottawa who faces Sask next week. Could be battle of two 0-4 teams. If they lose at home I would say that’s a biggie, especially with Masoli in town.

Interesting that the TiCats may have had the best 1-2 punch in the league last year & both QB’s are now 0-7. IMO you can’t overlook that the offence &, specifically Evans with 5 fumbles & 8 INT’s, have let the team down. Shouldn’t all be on him. Lots of injuries on OL BUT this has been a problem area for years now. I would have ranked the Hamilton D close to, if not, tops in the CFL on paper. One collapse after another so far. Lose to Ottawa & this may be a very fragile team going forward.

The good news - the 2011 Cup winners were 0-5 to start, 1-6 after 7 games before turning it around with a spanking of the Elks. Long way to go. Keep the faith. They’re only 1 win out of 1st. :sunglasses:

1 Like

You seem to be one of the few TiCat fans not pushing the button. Most want a line-up at the gallows already. I commend your sense of calm, but do think some changes are going to happen soon.

1 Like

Disagree, Tre Ford has watched for 3 weeks. During that time the Elks have gone 0-3. I applaud Jones for making the QB change. Ford gives us a better opportunity to win because, he can avoid sacks and makes first downs with his arm and feet. Defence played better because offence allowed them rest with multiple first downs. The best way to learn is by playing. He will only get better.

2 Likes

Ottawa is nothing to mark a free win on.

1 Like

That’s true, he takes off and runs, when he needs to. If their was no wind in Hamilton, I’m sure Edmonton would have tried more deep balls.

I think that Ottawa is a tougher opponent than Edmonton at the moment. They easily could have beat BC on Thursday. Until the Cats right the ship I can’t see them even being competitive with the likes of BC.

4 Likes

I think the ship sank last night. IMHO the Cats are in salvage mode.

3 Likes

They need coordinator changes for sure the play seletions were just pathetic those 1 yard or no yard passes did nothing for them

2 Likes

The BC Lions defeated the Eskimos… not the Elks. The name change notwithstanding, it wasn’t meant to rewrite history.

1 Like

It certainly appears they chose to keep the wrong QB…

4 Likes

Well said Porky. Except he doesn’t have to unlearn 4 down football so I expect he may be ready sooner than later.

2 Likes

I know it's not true, but with the fumbles, the interceptions, and the losses piling up, fear creeps in that Evan may be a " broken " quarterback. :japanese_goblin:

2 Likes

I never thought Evens was all that good… He had some success last year but that may be due to defenses not being properly prepared for someone who was essentially a backup for much of the year.

2 Likes

Shiltz is way better than Dane

1 Like