Training Camp

Cirie Woods and Denzel Perine the two players that we traded to the Alouettes for Khalid Wooten have already been released by Montreal . So basically outside of the swapping out of draft selections (38th and 47th for 39th and 48th) this trade basically amounts to us getting Wooten and giving up nothing in return to Montreal to acquire him . :smiley:

Coach Reinebold running drills

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/18646152_1870289486522239_7560306312672706560_n.jpg

Fantuz, Our newest "Coordinator of Player Development" on the field.

Ah, I was looking forward to seeing those pictures of what was happening at training camp from Ron Joyce Stadium again.

Alright, that answers a few questions that we had here in this thread. We now know why Uren and Storie are no longer on the roster, and we now know who we have for P/Ks competing for that roster spot. And now we have more competition for roster spots at QB and OT.

Training camp may have just begun, but we already have a report of a ā€œscuffleā€ there:

Drew Edwards?Verified account @scratchingpost 36m36 minutes ago

First minor scuffle at #Ticats camp took 45 minutes. Happened in the one-on-ones between OL and DL.

After this looooong winter how nice it is to get pics of TiCat camp starting up. :thup: :smiley:

bobo Iā€™ve always liked the way Kavis Reed makes trades. :thup:

Action 25 @25kjackson
@TSN_Marsh Why isn't Daly with the crew? Training injury?

Marsh ?Verified account @TSN_Marsh 1h1 hour ago
Not sure! Doesn't look serious. Hopefully just day to day #Ticats #CFL

oskee-eddie? @oskeeeddie
How is Butler looking?

Marsh Verified account @TSN_Marsh 27m27 minutes ago
Not 100% yet but moving well. #Ticats #CFL

Marsh ?Verified account @TSN_Marsh 15m15 minutes ago

#Ticats Head Coach Kent Austin on kicking situation "we're down to three guys, there hasn't been any separation yet" #CFL

Day one of training camp. It's said that this is where the quest for a championship begins. What is done from here on is work toward that goal. And here are a few more pictures of what has happened at training camp so far:

I suppose we'll soon hear about who impressed and who did not so far.

Beautiful day for the opening of camp..

Couple of thoughts:

-Mike Jones is my bet to start at WR in Watt's old spot. Practiced with the first team today and made some nice grabs in drills.

-Ross Scheuermann I think is going to make an impact this year. Tremendously effective.

-I would bet that Dominique Ellis will be our starter at SAM.. practiced there all day and also appears to be in great shape too

-Khalid Wooten made a pretty good pick in the team sessions.

-Craig Butler didn't appear to be 100% yet.. took reps with the team at safety but looked a little slow and is still wearing a huge brace on his knee.. it'll be interesting to watch what happens with him and whether he will start at Safety or what happens.. Courtney Stephen also took reps at Safety as well.

With 89 guys on the Training Camp Roster, posted by Grover, can we come up with the 14 non-counters?
7 - 2017 draft picks
1 - Laurier QB Knevel
1 - Macr-Antoine Laurin
1 - Tristan Douglin

Maybe (Iā€™m not sure) :
1 - Felix Faubert-Lussier. (Doesnā€™t attending last yearā€™s training camp make him a counter now?)
1 - Everton Williams. (I believe undrafted players are non-counters only if their draft eligible year was one of the two most recent. His would have been 3 drafts ago.)

Itā€™s also my belief that 2 veterans, rehabbing injuries from last season, or the off season, can be non-counters but canā€™t participate in training camp practices, until cleared to play. I donā€™t know who theyā€™d be, but assume the club has designed 2 vets as such to meet the 75 + non-counters training camp limit.

If Faubert-Lussier and Williams ARE non-counters then that would be the 14. If either, or both, donā€™t qualify I canā€™t think of anyone else who might.

Did a check of the roster a short time ago it looks to me that they have everything numbers-wise under control. Faubert-Lussier from what I heard didnā€™t complete camp last season due to injury and returned for his final year of eligibility at Laval so Iā€™m sure he would be a non-counter. Williams definitely would NOT be in that category as heā€™s been on the roster for 2 years at least and I think even suited up for a game - although maybe only in preseason. Iā€™m sure heā€™s in his third training camp so is considered a member of the team. Knevel isnā€™t considered a non-counter I donā€™t think as heā€™s not been drafted or even eligible at this point in time. Heā€™s here as part of the U Sport internship program for QBs. I think that youā€™d just ignore his presence on the roster as heā€™s not going to appear on any Ticats ā€œofficialā€ roster - i.e. the website. Butler would be the only player still rehabbing from injury since Olsen has retired and heā€™s obviously on the field so there may not be any designated vets on the IL. The decision to name AF coordinator of player development really was a smart one as he can be on the field with the players and offering advice while he continues to rehab. I donā€™t think that would have been the case if heā€™d been signed as a player and placed on the 6 game IL.

From a comment by Coach Austin in his post practice scrum today, it sounds like the 3 kickers did not participate in the team practice, but worked out separately "to follow the rules." They have also not yet been added to the roster, as posted here on ticats.ca . So, if you're right on Faubert-Lussier, tabbiefanmcb. the 11 non-counters required on the 86 players (not counting the 3 kickers) would be reached without Williams or any vets designated as rehabbing. There'll have to be some movement on the roster though, to get one, or more, of the kickers participating with the special teams in the days ahead.

Excellent stuff! Thank-you DogsFan!

Great photos Bob Young Fan....and a nice summary from Dogs Fan.

Thanks to both of you.

Oh, I donā€™t think you should be thanking me for that. I saw those pictures posted online and thought Iā€™d post them here. Whoever took those pictures did a good job, I would say.

But I too would like to thank DogsFan for that report on what happened. And Iā€™d like to comment on that report.

I did mention earlier that I was thinking that Jones could be a starter this year. And I would like to hear about him not looking out of place as a starting receiver.

-Ross Scheuermann I think is going to make an impact this year. Tremendously effective.
Great to hear about him picking up where he left off. We need a good backup at RB and perhaps someone Gable can pass the torch to later on.
-I would bet that Dominique Ellis will be our starter at SAM.. practiced there all day and also appears to be in great shape too
Interesting to hear about that. We have been wondering who that starting SAM LB might be.
-Khalid Wooten made a pretty good pick in the team sessions.
And as Bobo pointed out, after Montreal released the two players we sent their way in the trade for Wooten, it sure is looking like we got the long end of the stick on that deal.
-Craig Butler didn't appear to be 100% yet.. took reps with the team at safety but looked a little slow and is still wearing a huge brace on his knee.. it'll be interesting to watch what happens with him and whether he will start at Safety or what happens.. Courtney Stephen also took reps at Safety as well.
Too bad about Butler not being at 100%. So I suppose it's a good thing we were able to keep Daly here.

Anyway, Iā€™d like to see more good informative reports like this one posted here as training camp goes on.

Ross Scheuermann looked pretty good last year and if CJ gets the call from the LA Fire Dept for a full time job and retires, looks like Scheuermann could easily step in and replace him.

I enjoyed watching Ross Scheuermann last season. With C J going down with injuries as he has, it's good to have Ross' skills at the ready. But, I would also like to see him get more reps in any case.

The outcome of the Khalid Wooten trade, SO FAR, shows the abilities of Eric Tillman and his staff.

Thank for the information, Dogsfan. It's particularly great for those of us who can't get to the training camp sessions.

Looking forward to getting more of the same from you.

Just noticed on CFL.ca under the transaction list from yesterday, that Justin Cappioctti has been placed on the retired list by the Cats. Not sure what is happening here, hopefully just a paperwork shuffle.

[url=http://3downnation.com/2017/05/29/ticats-add-two-veteran-players-retired-list/]http://3downnation.com/2017/05/29/ticat ... ired-list/[/url]

Ticats add two veteran players to retired list

Posted on May 29, 2017 by Drew Edwards // 0 Comments

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have added two veteran players to the retired list.

[i]American defensive back Demond Washington and Canadian defensive end Justin Capicciotti are dealing with injury issues suffered prior to training camp but I think itā€™s likely weā€™ll see them show up at some point before the start of the season. By placing the pair on the retired list, the Ticats can use the roster spots which are limited to 75 players (plus non-counters) during training camp until they return.

The team did not announce the moves but they appeared on the CFL transactions page Sunday night.

Players arenā€™t paid during training camp so there are no financial or cap consequences. There is, however, a limit in the number of transactions each team can perform during training camp, a rule that was added in 2012.

Washington suffered an ACL tear during training camp last season after signing a free agent last February and missed the entire 2016 campaign. Prior to that, he spent four seasons with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Capicciotti was acquired by the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Oct. 10, 2016 along with offensive lineman Xavier Fulton in exchange for defensive tackle Linden Gaydosh, wide receiver Tommy Streeter, and fourth and seventh round selections in the 2017 CFL Draft. He appeared in four games last season.

Canadian defensive back Mike Daly has been added to the veteranā€™s injured exempt list which allows him to attend training camp while rehabs from injury he suffered in training this winter.[/i]