Training Camp moves

I’m not going to list all the transactions ( http://www.cfl.ca/page/transactions_offseason_200809 ) around training camp, but there’s a few of interest.

Dinwiddie got dumped by Winnipeg in favour of Richie Williams.
Jerrett Peyton ended up in Toronto.
Amos Allen – after being released by BC, was snapped up by Toronto.
Drew Tate, the Rider’s development QB, signed with Calgary after Proctor retired.
Chase Clement walked away from Hamilton after only a few days. He didn’t like 3-down rules, and couldn’t handle having to compete for a job. (Although it’s hard to blame QBs for walking out in the Hammer)
Anthony Malbrough is refusing to report in Edmonton after being traded.

Injuries are also starting to mount.

Braidwood is on the 9-game
Wes Cates is doubtful for game 1
Willie Quinnie ( Hamilton ) tore his achillies and is out for the season
Wayne Smith tore his achillies and is expected to be out for the season

The retirement of Cominsky in Edmonton had them willing to part with a 1st round draft pick to re-aquire Joe McGrath, who left via free agency, along with a neg. list player.

Although, it doesn't look like Edmonton's turn is going to be very high in the draft.

Transactions of note over the weekend:

Calgary traded punter Mike Renauld to Winnipeg
Montreal released Cam Hall
Edmonton traded OL Thaddeus Coleman to Winnipeg for DB Willie Amos

http://www.cfl.ca/page/transactions_offseason_200809

Post-Game cuts:
19-Jun-09
MTL SIGNS IMP Joshua THOMPSON (DT) Auburn
MTL RELEASES NON-IMP Keith GODDING (WR) Bishop's
MTL RELEASES IMP Jerome HAYWOOD (DT) San Diego State
MTL RELEASES IMP T.J. HILL (LB) Northeastern
MTL RELEASES IMP Dorrell JALLOH (WR) West Virginia
MTL RELEASES IMP Jonathan ORDWAY (DB) Boston College
MTL RELEASES IMP Tyronne PRUITT (LB) Boston College
MTL RELEASES IMP Keith WILLIAMS (DB) Florida A&M
TOR RELEASES IMP Derrick BALLARD (LB) Memphis
TOR RELEASES IMP Kenny HEATLY (CB) Bethune-Cookman
TOR RELEASES IMP Ronald JONES (DE) Southern Mississippi
TOR RELEASES IMP Jay LUCAS (RB) Southeast Louisiana
TOR RELEASES NON-IMP Richard ZULYS (OL) Western Ontario
HAM SIGNS IMP Garrett MCINTYRE (DE) Fresno State
HAM RELEASES NON-IMP Daniel BEDERMAN (OL) Queen's
HAM RELEASES IMP Christopher DAVIS (LB) Duke
HAM RELEASES IMP Scott MITCHELL (WR) Kentucky
HAM RELEASES IMP Alex MORROW (DL) Southern California
HAM RELEASES IMP LaShaun WARD (WR) California
HAM RELEASES IMP Alan ZEMAITIS (DB) Penn State
WPG RELEASES IMP Johnny BALDWIN (LB) Alabama A&M
WPG RELEASES IMP Darrius BATTLES (DB) Louisiana At Monroe (NE)
WPG RELEASES NON-IMP Adam BESTARD (OL) Wilfrid Laurier
WPG RELEASES IMP Willie BYRD (DB) Miles College
WPG RELEASES IMP John EUBANKS (DB) Southern Mississippi
WPG RELEASES NON-IMP Dan GIANCOLA (K) Buffalo
WPG RELEASES IMP DeVon HICKS (DL) Northwest Mississippi CC
WPG RELEASES IMP James KILIAN (QB) Tulsa
WPG RELEASES NON-IMP Mike MORRIS (OL) UBC
WPG RELEASES NON-IMP Peter QUINNEY (RB) Wilfrid Laurier
WPG RELEASES IMP Justin SURRENCY (WR) Northern Iowa
WPG RELEASES IMP Ramonce TAYLOR (RB) Texas College
WPG SIGNS IMP Lenny WALLS (DB) Boston College
SSK SIGNS IMP Carlos ARMOUR (LB) Miami Florida
BC RELEASES IMP Rodney ALLEN (DL) Kansas
BC RELEASES IMP Mil'von JAMES (CB) UNLV
BC RELEASES IMP Xavier MITCHELL (DE) Tennessee
BC RELEASES IMP B.J. TUCKER (DB) Wisconsin

Chase Clement walked away from Hamilton after only a few days. He didn't like 3-down rules, and couldn't handle having to compete for a job. (Although it's hard to blame QBs for walking out in the Hammer)
Hopefully the Ticats can put an end to this BS that spouts out of everyone's mouth. Every team has bad season's and Hamilton is one of the more decorated and historic teams in the CFL, up there with Edmonton, Winnepeg and Toronto. Team's have bad season's, but it only make's them stronger when they do recover. Look at the Alouette's. Crap of the CFL for a while, now one of the premier teams in the league for many years. Calgary as well. Nobody thought at the beginning of last season that Calgary would top the West, the CFL, and win the grey cup. It looked all like BC, Montreal, Winnepeg or Saskatchewan. Don't judge, team's can also go from being top to in the gutter, such as the Ticats after winning the '99 grey cup, or Toronto after making it to the east final in '07.

Hamilton has been awful for the last 4 years, It's not like they had 1 year of bad luck. Since 1990 they have had 13 losing seasons and a good portion of those were dead last with a few wins. They have only managed 5 seasons of above 500 football since 1990. Their record since 2000 is 52 109 1 . The 90's were not much better 71 108 1. They are 94 games below 500 since 1990. If it wasn't for Ron Lancaster things could be worse, which seems impossible.

and who exactly is Chase Clement?

sounds like a nobody to me.

He was a stuck-up little terd that didn't like the idea of being near the bottom of the depth chart to start his career and didn't like the fast paced game that the CFL is, stating that he liked the more mental football like it was in college.

And this gives people the right to assume that they're terrible this year and always will be? That they'll never snap out of this and become 16x champs? Get real. Talk from most of the fans around the CFL is what will make a winning season so much more enjoyable, so talk it up. This all started because our vets got old and had to be released or retire. Then under terrible management we just kept trying to sink money into big name vets instead of making our own names. Under the recent management of Obie, the team has been built to recover 5+ wins this year, and get stronger as the years prgoress with the rookies that've been thoroughly scouted and drafted over the years. If he can build winning teams in Toronto and BC, I'm sure he can do it here also.

YES, untill they prove otherwise. I hope they do turn things around. The only way to shed the bottom feeder label, is by winning. It's fairly simple. I do think they will finish 3rd in the East this year,the Argos will struggle and won't be close to to a playoff spot. If the ti cats win 8 games this year, that will be a success and a good building block for the future.

Everyone in Hamilton hopes this garbage is done and over with too.I, as well as many others are tired of sinking money into season tickets to watch us get decimated year after year and be the laughing stock of the CFL. I genuinely believe that 5+ wins this year is a strong possibility, and I'm willing to give them another chance. Should they fail knock on wood, I have a feeling Obie will be unpleasently dismissed, which would be terrible because he did a great job repairing what Marcel Desjardins destroyed.

I thought I read somwhere that Clement family had a business that he could fall back on. It shows that one of the hurdles CFL teams have to overcome with some of the American players. Because many of them don't learn much about Canada growing up their idea of us being a far away foreign country makes them a difficult recruit sometimes. That and the low rookie salaries.

Reading today about the Argos DE Claude Harriott, he was reluctant at first to come up to Toronto after being cut from Detroit. Now he says he's glad he did and is hoping of a long career with the Argos. But like some players if he had decided to stay home he wouldn't have been able to now say that.

One thing I've always found amusing from our American friends is this, when we say we are going to some part of the US, we generally say we're going to Michigan or Ohio or New York State or California etc. Americans will always say we're going to Canada, not Ontario or Saskatchewan or the Yukon for that matter. I guess it just shows the lack of knowledge about our Provinces.

You are half correct doubleblue, his first story was that he left to pursue business intrests offered in the family, but when interviewed he stated that he left because he didn't like the idea of starting at the bottom of the depth chart and stated that the CFL game was too fast paced and that he liked the slower, more mentally based college game.

You are half correct cheesegod11. Here is the real story from his Dad:

[b]"He did not feel that the Candian style of football was something that he could be passionate about. He knew right away---(Craig quotes Chase) he says--- "it's completely different---lots of schemes---a lot of motion. It's just not what he was trained to do."

"He felt like he enjoyed his style of football---not necessarily being in the shotgun. But, just looking out and surveying defenses and being able to beat your opponent mentally as well as physically."

"So, he just said "I knew right away that this was not gonna work for me." So he prayed about it---was very diligent about that---we guided him through that effort just to make sure that he was making the right decision. So, he called me this morning about 5:45 and said "Dad---I am 100 percent at peace with this decision. This is not for me." So, he went in and talked with the Coach and Offensive Coordinator, Mike Gibson, and told them that. However, they left the door open for him. But he's gonna come home."[/b]

[url=http://www.examiner.com/x-9179-Rice-Owls-Examiner~y2009m6d5-Breaking-newsQB-Chase-Clement-has-left-of-Hamilton-Tiger-Cats-Camp]http://www.examiner.com/x-9179-Rice-Owl ... -Cats-Camp[/url]

And here is an extensive Ti-Cat blog with all the Chase Clement details:

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/page/9/

sounds to me the guy couldn't handle this type of Offense. I doubt he'd have made it anyways..

20-Jun-09
HAM RELEASES IMP Johnnie MORANT (WR) Syracuse
WPG RELEASES IMP Chris JACKSON (WR) Millsaps College
CAL SIGNS IMP Derek WATSON (RB) South Carolina State
21-Jun-09
SSK SIGNS NON-IMP Perry SCARCELLI (K) Regina
22-Jun-09
EDM RELEASES NON-IMP Ryan Elaschuk (K) Edmonton Wildcats
EDM RELEASES IMP Darrell HUNTER (DB) Miami-Ohio
EDM RELEASES NON-IMP Eric LEE (RB) Weber State
EDM RELEASES IMP Willie THORNTON (WR) Texas A&M
EDM RELEASES IMP Sean YOUNG (WR) California
CAL RELEASES IMP JoJuan ARMOUR (LB) Miami-Ohio

Edmonton finally got started trimming their roster a little today. Still no cut-down from Calgary or Sask yet.

http://blog.canoe.ca/therouge/2009/06/22/armour_cut
The Calgary Stampeders have cut a member of their 2008 championship team.

Linebacker JoJuan Armour was released Monday morning, stemming from an incident Friday in practice.
Armour apparantly threw receiver Jeremaine Copeland to the ground, and head coach John Hufnagel immediately ended practice.
Hufnagel read a statement to explain the move:
“I’m very disappointed to make this announcement. We have a very clear policy on team discipline, whether it’s on the practice field, during games or off the field. JoJuan chose not to follow that policy recently during practice, therefore I chose to make this decision.
“We require that players practice safely and have respect for their teammates on the practice field. Unfortunately, JoJuan put his teammates at risk on multiple occasions recently and I can’t accept that kind of activity.?
The 32-year-old veteran was entering his second season with the Stamps.
This leaves the middle linebacker position wide open with Lemarcus Rowell, draft pick Tristan Black and newcomer Tray Blackmon trying to win the starting job.
— Buz

More Calgary Cuts to go with Armour:

RB Reggie Bradshaw
R Derrick Smith
DL Remond Willis
DB Dee McCann
OL Chad Cossette
DL Ronald Hilaire

BC Cut 11 -- http://www.canada.com/Sports/Lions+play ... story.html

• Caesar Rayford, defensive lineman.
• Kyle Mitchell, defensive lineman.
• Josh Bean, linebacker.
• Damian Sims, running back.
• David Mills, long snapper.
• Otis Amey, wide receiver.
• Trestin George, defensive back.
• Darren Marquez, offensive lineman.
• Mike McEachern, safety.
• Melik Brown, defensive lineman.
• Matt Morencie, offensive lineman

Montreal released 9 and are looking to trade 3 instead of cutting them -- http://communities.canada.com/montrealg ... h-als.aspx

Released:
R Frantz Hardy
R Kevin Marion
OL Robbie Powell
OL Chris Rutledge
LB Jay Staggs
LB Jamaine Winborne
DE Rodney Hardeway
DL Josh Thompson
DB Blue Adams

Retired:
DE Nickolas Morin-Soucy
FB Benoit Boulanger
OL guard Matt Singer

Believed to have trade value:
QB Brad Banks
LB Reggie Hunt
DB Stanford Samuels

Rider Moves

RB Jason Geathers - Released
DE Seante Williams - Released
R Johnny Quinn - Twittered that he made the team.

Rider official press release -- http://www.saskriders.com/news/press_releases/3259/

The Roughriders have released the following players:
Non-Import DL Nuvraj Bassi
Import WR Todd Blythe
Non-Import K/P Jeff Bolen
Import WR Brandon Childress
Import RB Jason Geathers
Non-Import DB Sasha Glavic
Import QB Juan Joseph
Import WR Casey McGahee
Import LB Sam Olajabutu
Import DL David Patterson
Import LB Brandon Perkins