Trade: Maurice Mann for Chris Thompson

Good trade for sure.
Obie always has something up his sleeve so there will likely be some good secondary prospects at training camp...or before.
And I agree....Rodriguez could be the odd man out in this deal.

i seriously do not know where obie is going with this one, it makes no sense to me at all, were pretty set at reciever and pretty thin in the secondary, and then we trade an all-star db for a reciever.

what the hell?

Was Mann a returner in edmonton? That might help. 0therwise it's an awful move in my mind since thompson was easily the best db we've had in years.

Right.
Anyone who actually followed this team knew the rec. corps. was a work in progress all year. Obviously the braintrust saw they needed another quality target and not another project. There was a need and they went out and adressed it. Good.

Cats defense has been bad so long people get too attached to players who show even a little bit of upside and then over rate them in regards to the rest of the league.
Thompson is good.
Too good to stop this particular deal?
No way.

'cause as we all know, DB’s are a “dime a dozen.” :smiley:

Sorry all. I just HAD to be the first to make a “dime a dozen” comment this year. In my time on this board the following positions have all been “a dime a dozen” at one time or another:

Wide receivers
Slotbacks
Offensive Linemen
Defensive Linemen
Running Backs
Kick Returners
and
Outside Linebackers.

QB’s and Middle Linebackers presumably cost up to a nickle each. :wink:

I see why you are confused with this trade, but you have to look at the bigger picture and who is still available in terms of free agents. If we can pick up a solid replacement for Thompson, like James Johnson who has flown under the radar when it comes to the defensive backs that are still available, and sign a corner like Willie Middlebrooks to replace Bo Smith. We would be looking golden…

Pretty good receiver for sure...I'm just not sure he needed to be had at the expense of giving up a pretty good DB!

I guess Obie felt that there was not enough Mann power on our team......

.... :wink:

I completey disagree.

i thought near the end of the season we had one of the better sets of reciever in the league

we all know what arland bruce did last season

Marquay McDaniel Was one of Kevin Glenn’s go to guys towards the end of the season, his last 5 games were as follows, 7 catches for 84 yards and 2 touchdowns, 5 catches for 51 yards, 7 catches for 75 yards, 7 catches for 91 yards, and 6 catches for 110 yards in the playoff game. Clearly he was an essential part of us getting a home playoff game down that stretch runand performed in the post-season.

Drisan James, while he doesnt have the stats mcdaniel does, he still came into his own last season and had 120 recieving yards in the playoff game.

Dava Stala has great hands and it showed, making key second down catches and great grabs all season long,

Then obviously there’s Prechae Rodriguez who had a phenomenal rookie season before having injury problems last season.

there’s no doubt Maurice Mann is a great player and will help our team, im just saying i dont think it was worth an all-star defensive back (which i’ll remind you all-stars are decided by not only the fans vote but also players,coaches and GMs etc.) when we were already scrambling to find a corner.

However, im sure obie has something up his sleeve and by mid-season we will be talking about how genious of a trade this was. :smiley:

I got 1 Thing Say about this Deal IT SINKS !!!

Our Best DB gone West for a WR
We Could find Thew FA and Neg lists.

Not a Good Move IMO

I hope can Find us 3 Good DB's now cause we need them..

They only this deal will look a Touch Better To me

I HAVE A CHRIS THOMPSON JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

no now you have a Really bad Paper Weight

I don’t like the deal as Said before but it done.
Time to move on

I would also like to say that unless we hear about the signing of a DB soon, this trade does not make a lot of sense. We needed to upgrade the the secondary more than we needed to improve the receiving corps. And we gave up the best DB we had. How many passes were thrown to whoever Thompson was covering last season?

This also leads me to believe that Rodriguez and/or McDaniel could be on the trading block. I said before that we were unlikely to sign Watkins as we already had those two, Bruce and Stala.

But I will say this: Mann had nearly 1000 rec. yards last season and apparently missed three games. And that was his first full CFL season. He is 27 years of age. Bruce is 32 and I have to wonder how many good years he has left. This could be a good one for us in the long run, but I should mention that Thompson is also 27. I also wonder if dollars and cents have anything to do with the trade. It seems that's often the case with trades these days.

As was the case when Setta was released, we have to wait and see what'll happen next. Obie said "we're in pretty good shape to take a run at some guys we're interested in."

And there are two interesting tweets that we posted here: http://twitter.com/TicatsPR

"Lots of news throughout the CFL today. We'll be making some noise soon..." (This was posted there at about 2:30.)

"Just got off the phone w/ Maurice Mann. Said he was surprised by trade but excited to be a #Ticat. We'll have more w/ Mo on Ticats.ca later"

And this is why I bought a jersey and had my name and number put on it… :smiley: Sorry about your luck, but at least you can now add your jersey with all the other jerseys in the waste of money category(ie: Holmes, Lumsden, Maas, and Setta)

Why do you think Rodriguez and McDaniel are on the trading block? Were trying to build an arsenal here for our quarterbacks to work with, and the more top flight receivers we have the better. The reason Montreal’s passing attack has been so good the last decade is because every receiver they have on the field is a threat to make the big play at any time, and you can’t double cover any one guy. We haven’t had that luxury in some time, and I believe if we keep all these guys, we will have it again, for the first time since the McManus days.

Until and unless Obie signs a DB to replace Thompson, I'm not sure I understand why this trade happened.

Our receiving corps was lacking big time last year.They did good, but not great like everybody was hoping.McDaniel was good, James was terribly inconsistent, Bruce was amazing, Rodriguez went off the radar in '09, Stala was amazing, Grant was inneffective, Bauman was ineffective, Carter played only a few downs, and the rest have been on and off the roster as attempts to find half-decent receivers.We needed another solid reciever in there to compliment Bruce.Thompson was slumping in '09, thus he became expendable.He’s good, but can definitely be improved over and likely will be.This trade make’s sense because 1) We are strengthening an already decent receiving corps and 2) with Thompson gone, we can truly focus on improving at the position which we were going to try and do anyways.This trade may not impress some people, but when you mull it over for a while you might be able to see where it make’s sense and where it can be a good thing.

I didn’t see this coming either BG and I’m just as stunned. I like Mann and I guess you have to give up quality to get quality. Maybe we’ve been spoiled by pulling a couple of heists last year.

It is bitter sweet though. Instant upgrade in the receiving corps, instant downgrade to the secondary. Will it make the offense good enough to compensate for a weakened D? I’m not so sure.

I know the FA period has just started and I’m sure Obie has a coherent plan and this wasn’t an isolated grab. Like everyone else though, I’m worried about our secondary being dismantled. Some people will applaud and say the secondary wasn’t that good anyway but we’ll see what happens if we are relying on pro rookies or first year CFL Americans.

Let’s hope for a secondary signing announcement tomorrow!

Having said that, Mann will be awesome! As another poster alluded to, the receiving corps never really got set last year. It was a constant game of musical chairs trying to find the right combination but the truth is the roster was a little thin, trying to find 4 bonafide starters and a solid fifth receiver. This move will definitely help.

You will not see McDaniel on the trading block. This guy was a real find for us last year...he's got a great career ahead of him. I also don't mind Tisdale. He's still very young and loaded with talent. I think if he comes back he will be much improved...learning from his mistakes. Our big problem was at the corner...Bo Smith was getting scorched constantly out there. He is not a shut down corner and in this league you need that. I'm sure OB is got someone in mind for a replacment for Smith. :cowboy:

While I agree that your receiving corps had its ups and downs, I’d argue that continuity at the position, Porter’s struggles, and sometimes questionable playcalling contributed just as much to the woes of your receivers. James was a rookie and Rodriguez had injuries. If McDaniel and Bruce were both fine, how do you work Mann into the packages, since all three are wide receivers?

I just feel like giving up on someone like James, who had so little playing time last season, is premature, as is writing Rodriguez off after a subpar season. But time will tell.

Thompson was slumping in '09, thus he became expendable.He's good, but [b]can definitely be improved over and likely will be[/b].
Is it really that easy to replace a quality cover DB like Thompson? Who's going to come in and play that shutdown role against other teams' top receivers? To develop my initial point, [i]if[/i] you guys sign a DB who can effectively fill Thompson's shoes, then the Mann trades makes sense. On its own, though, the Mann trade is a bit of a head-scratcher to me.
2) with Thompson gone, we can truly focus on improving at the position which we were going to try and do anyways.
I don't see how Thompson had to go in order for Obie to 'focus' on improving the secondary.